MDR on late port days

cruise kitty

On our last cruise, select dining was not yet available, we had the early seating, so on port days when we got back at 6 or later, we just ate in the buffet, our next cruise has several ports where we don't leave till 8, 10 pm there's even an overnighter...so my question is, does the MDR stay on schedule on those nights, or do they adjust accordingly?? do people come back aboard early so they don't miss their fixed seating? Or is it going to be DH & 2000 of our closest friends trying to eat at 7 or 8? :rolleyes: thanks for any help with this.

On our Equinox cruise that included Egypt and Israel we also had early seating. But on those nights with people on day long tours that arrived back late, they had open seating in the MDR.

Thanks for the info, on those late port days we were way too tired to dress for the MDR, but it's nice to have the option if had wanted to. It sounds like it'll be tough to get into the MDR on nights when we sail around 8, you'll have pretty much everyone trying to eat at the same time.

We were on a Constellation TA that had a late port night in Morocco a couple of years ago and we got back from a ship's excursion pretty late - I'd say 9 or 10PM. Dining that night was a regular schedule. They kept the buffet area open late to accommodate those on excursions - both the limited buffet areas and the sit down casual dining in the buffet area.

I'll also say that when we've stayed in a port overnight we've often taken the opportunity to have dinner on shore. We've done that in Lisbon and in Venice.

I'll also say that when we've stayed in a port overnight we've often taken the opportunity to have dinner on shore. We've done that in Lisbon and in Venice.

Same here. Part of the enjoyment of visting foreign ports is the ability to sample the local cuisine. Having the opportunity to have dinner ashore is a great way to enjoy the local culture and customs.

Archived