Dinner Poll

How do you take dinner on the ship  

516 members have voted

1. 1. How do you take dinner on the ship

• In Stateroom Dining
    • Windjammer or similar
    • Main Dining Room
    • Specalty Dining Option (Chops, Portofino, etc)

I would die before I missed dinner in the dinning room. I left a friend in her cabin sick once and went to dinner without her. I think she had a bit of a hang over from the party boat. (Don't feel too bad for her my sister stayed with her and she was fine by the time we got back from dinner.)

Almost always have dinner in the main dining room. On the Magic we did have dinner one night at Palo, enjoyed it but didn't think it was any better than the regular dining room rotation. One night we had dinner at the buffet as we just didn't want to "dress up."

Unless I'm feeling a lot seasick, we always eat in the dining room. That said, I've only missed one night dining in the dining room out of 16 cruises (7-14 nights each).

Question for Fanofseas: We are sailing into Norfolk soon; how hard is it to reach the Newport News airport from the Norfolk dock?? Flights seem better choice in Newport News. Are cabs available to take us there, and if so what would cost be??? Thanks

Most nights, I enjoy the windjammer because I don't feel like dressing up and having a LONG dinner, I would rather eat quickly and get out and enjoy the shows, late night swimming etc etc.

I do however, on some of the longer cruises I have been on with Family we all go to the dining room, but when I go with friends/coworkers, I go to the windjammer.

Scott

With RCCL, the answer here is almost a no-brainer. Different set of replies would come on Princess and NCL, for example, but you'd have to word it "Traditional or Personal Choice/Freestyle". We go DR almost exclusively when on RCCL, maybe one specialty night or maybe one Horizon night (depending on how tired we might be at the time. Oddly, in all our cruises, have only done Room Service for dinner once, and that was on a Celebrity cruise, and I was a bit under the weather that evening.

Cruising Grandma: Maybe I can offer small bit of assistance. Maybe for your particular needs, NN works better than Norfolk, bit it is a MUCH smaller airport. Cab is probably impratical, as it could be a 1-hour ride(longer if you have problems coming thru the Hampton Roads tunnels), and probably $$$$. You might want to look at cost of limo service-vs-any additional wait times or fares out of Norfolk.

We've done dining room, Chops, Portofino, Windjammer. Last two cruises only did Windjammer because we didn't want to get dressed for dinner and were traveling without companions.

Doing Alaska this year and I think it will be dining room or alternative restaurants all the way...going with family and they love the dining room thing...

Since we won't be coming back from the hot, sweaty Caribbean ports...we'll go with it also...

\

Screwbit: Thanks for the NN info. I had e-mailed another couple we had met on a prior cruise. She said it was 38 to 40 miles away from Norfolk docks. Think we've changed our mind about NN. We thought we could get Southwest from there to Nashville, but it would be a hassle to drive 200 miles to Nashville, and pay for parking for a couple of weeks. We'll enjoy ALL the dinners on our cruises, and will get back home somehow!!

Kay

You can't go wrong where ever you eat on a RCCL ship. If you don't like what you have, get something else. There are enough choices to be happy no matter where you are. We do love Chops and Portofino and get to each at least once per cruise.

Archived