Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival

The 24-hour pizza on Carnival ships makes for easy snacking anytime. I honestly do not remember if Royal Caribbean has a 24-hour snack venue.

On Royal Caribbean, the Cafe Promenade on Voyager class and above is open.

Now for my answer: I'll do whichever ship has the better price deal. I've never had a bad cruise. I personally like Carnival better on some things (made-to-order deli sandwiches; real ice cream in the soft serve machine available 24 hours; large shower; better TV channels), and Royal Caribbean on others (generally better service; ice skating rink and show on Voyager class and above; Cafe Promenade Seattle's Best Coffee on Voyager class and above; Viking Crown for ocean watching). My wife greatly prefers Royal Caribbean -- says it is much classier. Frankly, if someone put me in the middle of the ship and did not tell me which line it was, I might have a hard time telling the difference.

One factor about me... My Carnival lately has been the smaller Ecstasy; my Royal Caribbean has been the larger Voyager of the Seas. Sort of an "apples and oranges" comparison, really. Oh, and I really love live music. For me, the live music on the Voyager of the Seas was much better than the Ecstasy, but ship size might be the difference.

I have two reviews if you want to read them:

Ecstasy: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=62426

Voyager of the Seas: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=65525

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide...Jim...

Thank you all for your informative posts comparing the two. Especially those that have experience with both.

First, I will be happy to be on any cruise and understand that the differences are probably not that huge.

I like Carnival, but find that the ships seem to have poor passenger flow making it seem more crowded than it really is. Also, the buffet lines seem uniformly long with rare exception.

Also, the non-stop party atmosphere gets a bit tiresome. Do the RCI ships have quiet areas to retreat to if one wants a break from constant partying?

We'll see where we end up. Im looking at RCI, NCL, Princess and HAL. I dont believe NCL will be my cup of tea as I do like traditional dining and slightly more formal than Carnival. HAL may be too formal and quiet.

RCI ships really seem to be impressive - even before the Oasis. Princess seems ok too. Im torn.

Do the RCI ships have quiet areas to retreat to if one wants a break from constant partying?

Yes. The Viking Crown is a great place during the day (available on all RCI ships -- the semi-circle enclosed area above the pool area). Viking Crown at night usually has music or a disco. Also on the Voyager class (and I'm sure other classes), deck 4 has the traditional "open deck around the ship", with deck chairs -- very nice and peaceful. The solarium is supposed to be peaceful, but often is not (for me), partly because kids still have to pass through here to get from the front elevators to the main pool area, partly because sometimes kids use the solarium even though not supposed to, and partly because the music from the main pool easily drifts into the solarium area. And, one more little known area on the Voyager of the Seas is the helipad -- deck 5 forward. You get to this from a side door in the Cleopatra's Needle lounge, and you can also get to it from outside stairs from deck 4. This is a great place to see stars at night.

If you cruise on either lines old ships, you'll not notice such astouding differences, as the style of ships are similar. ( pre-Voyager ) But once you cruise on an RCCL Voyager class, Freedom Class or Oasis......... you're talking night and day.

Having done 3 Carnival cruises before we had done anything else...I have to disagree with some posts here. There was a huge difference in many ways for us. I can't say it was the food because the food on both seemed fine, one didn't outweigh the other. We liked the staff, the embark/debark, the cabins, the ships layout, things to do, the room service (that would be teens) about 90% better on RC. The last Carnival cruise we were on I actually won it (a nationwide essay contest) and I thought by day 7 my family was going to dis-own me. They have since asked me not to enter any more contests if this is what I would win. :o (it was bad)

I am very glad that I didn't stick with Carnival or we would have missed out on so much more. We already have our next RC booked. If you haven't sailed on it, it's always good for comparison. We still wish to try NCL, and Princess someday here soon also.

I found Carnival to have fantastic Broadway-style production numbers. I found Royal to be a little "sanitized". No bathrobes on RCL for us under 5 cruises. Like that C has 24 hr pizza. We like Carnival's product, having sailed w/ them like 15 times, Royal 5. We're going on Royal this summer. Looking forward to it. I'll only change out Carnival for Royal or X. Found Princess to cater to a much older type. (the ones we've been on--Alaska and Baltic States. )

Having done 3 Carnival cruises before we had done anything else...I have to disagree with some posts here. There was a huge difference in many ways for us. I can't say it was the food because the food on both seemed fine, one didn't outweigh the other. We liked the staff, the embark/debark, the cabins, the ships layout, things to do, the room service (that would be teens) about 90% better on RC. The last Carnival cruise we were on I actually won it (a nationwide essay contest) and I thought by day 7 my family was going to dis-own me. They have since asked me not to enter any more contests if this is what I would win. :o (it was bad)

I am very glad that I didn't stick with Carnival or we would have missed out on so much more. We already have our next RC booked. If you haven't sailed on it, it's always good for comparison. We still wish to try NCL, and Princess someday here soon also.

You reminded me of another difference. Embarking is so much easier on RCL. I never understood why I had to stand in TWO separate lines to board Carnival - one to check in and another to get my sail & sign card. RCL has your sea pass card ready at the check-in counter. SO much better!!!

You reminded me of another difference. Embarking is so much easier on RCL. I never understood why I had to stand in TWO separate lines to board Carnival - one to check in and another to get my sail & sign card. RCL has your sea pass card ready at the check-in counter. SO much better!!!

I've been on five Carnival cruises. Only the first one was there a separate line for the S&S card. On the last four I got my S&S card at the check-in counter.

of thefive different cruise lines and 10 different ship we've been on in the last 30 years (the last being May 2009), RCCL was probably the nicest of ships regarding decor and design but the most overpriced for value as well as the biggest nicle and diming line we've ever been on.

I have done Carnival and Royal, and enjoy them both. The differences I see aren't a make it or break it for me.

Royal Pros

• RCL newer ships have the Promenade Cafe which is open for snacks (already included in your cruisefare) 24hrs. I know that Carnival has late night snacks as well but I prefer the cafe.
  • Servers in the buffet area
  • Sliding glass door for balconies (as opposed to the 1 door on Carnival).
  • Door for the shower.
  • H2O Zone (only on Freedom and Oasis Class).
  • Ships are nicer looking (however, I don't cruise for how the ship looks)

Carnival Pros

• Larger cabins.
  • Toiletries in the bathroom.
  • True "advertising" of late night adult comedy shows (the ones on Royal were more of a PG or PG-13 at the most).
  • Not that many announcements over the loud speaker (I wanted to put duct tape over Royal's Capt. Johnny's mouth on day 2).
  • Afternoon tea is literally a tea (the Afternoon tea on Royal consists of light fare in the buffet - I think my husband got nachos one day).
  • Water slides
  • All ships have the late night snacks (I don't believe that the older Royal ships have anything like the Promenade Cafe which, again, doesn't have a surcharge.

As for service, I have had good and bad on both lines. As for food, I have had dishes I loved and dishes I hated on both lines.

I am not interested in the Rock-Climbing Wall or the Ice Skating rink so that isn't a positive or a negative.

Two of the Royal cruises had 2 lines - one for check-in, another for the seapass card.

The "non-stop party atmosphere" on Carnival which a previous poster mentioned is more myth than truth these days. It's more a product of Carnival's past reputation (10-20 years ago).

If you sail on Carnival during Spring Break then all bets are off -- but for the vast majority of the year it's just not true anymore. I've found the "party atmosphere" to be (at most) very slightly more intense than RC but usually it's no different.

Just wanted to make clear that people shouldn't fear cruising on Carnival because of its reputation. I will add the caveat that I've never sailed on a 3 or 4 night cruise on either line... I'd have to imagine some of those sailings have more of a party atmosphere. My experience is mostly based on week long sailings.

The "non-stop party atmosphere" on Carnival which a previous poster mentioned is more myth than truth these days. It's more a product of Carnival's past reputation (10-20 years ago).

If you sail on Carnival during Spring Break then all bets are off -- but for the vast majority of the year it's just not true anymore. I've found the "party atmosphere" to be (at most) very slightly more intense than RC but usually it's no different.

Just wanted to make clear that people shouldn't fear cruising on Carnival because of its reputation. I will add the caveat that I've never sailed on a 3 or 4 night cruise on either line... I'd have to imagine some of those sailings have more of a party atmosphere. My experience is mostly based on week long sailings.

I must agree. It depends on the make up of passengers on the ship. We cruised on Carnival Victory late 2007 and the ship was "dead" after 11:30pm.On our February 2009 FOS cuise the ship seeemed to have a vibe untill at least 1:00 in the morning in the different club venues.

We found there to be more evening/late night activity in general on the Royal cruises verses the Carnival line.

My comparitive review, RCL to CCL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=898081&highlight=

I agree with the last post, CCL isnt really that fun,party, obnoxious vibe anymore, well not when we were on it. CCL buffet beats WJ by far for freshness, variety and cleanliness, but Royal ships are nicer and prettier! (imo- time of year, length of cruise makes a world of difference)

OP, try Royal, you will not be disappointed.

Frequent Cruiser Program

CCL = Carnival Cruise Lines

RCCL = Royal Carribean Cruises Limited.

CCL > P.G.R.P. | Past Guest Recognition Program VS. RCCL > C&A or CAS | Crown & Anchor Society

RCCL > C&A

Gold: 2 to 5

Platinum: 6 to 10

Diamond: 11 to 24

Diamond+: 25 and Above

Junior Suite [JS] and above equals 2 Cruise Credits

12 and above Day Cruises equals 2 Cruise Credits

CCL > P.G.R.P.

Gold: 2 to 9

Platinum: 10 & Above

75% of the benefits for Carnival’s Frequent Cruiser Program are in Platinum Level @ Cruise #10

Royal’s Frequent Cruiser Program C & A you start to get MORE than basic benefits @ Cruise #6

I see several comments about bathrobes on Royal.

Pretty sure I wouldn't base a cruise selection on bathrobes.

We just got back from an 11 night cruise on the Radiance.

It was our first cruise on Royal and we loved it.

Inside cabin, great price.

First day my wife asked for a bathrobe and had one in less than 15 minutes, which she used for the rest of the cruise.

We left it in the room when we left.

No problem

Personally I don't use bathrobes. I am a binary person, either I'm dressed or I'm not dressed, no halfway measures.

We have sailed on every major market line except Carnival.

That is not an accident.

Loved them all, Cunard is our favorite by a fair amount.

QM2 is the best liner afloat.

Radiance is second best although we prefer Celebrity on average over Royal.

Loved the Solstice, except we like to dance and the activity staff kept screwing things up by scheduling the bands and things at strange times, like during dinner, and then holding karioke contests on the dance floor.

Another binary issue, either you can sing or your can't. If you can't, don't keep trying, it doesn't get any better, no matter how much you have had to drink.

I see several comments about bathrobes on Royal.

Pretty sure I wouldn't base a cruise selection on bathrobes.

People were ready to jump overboard when the pillow mints were cut. Compared to pillow mints, bathrobes are a life or death issue.

Archived