Crown Princess 4/10/10 W Caribbean

ice88

Even tho' there's only a couple weeks left of this particular cruise this season, here's my report anyhow, as thanks to reading so many other helpful posts.

My overall impression of this cruise was that it was fantastic... the ports were some of the more interesting I've been to, it was great value for what we paid (for an inside) and with Princess, we know we'll get really good food. We weren't as close to our wait or room staff as we were with the help on RCCL, but they did a great job nonetheless.

We embarked a little past noon and even tho' the line snaked outside the building, we were in our room within 30 minutes. We brought on a 12-pack of beer, not concealed in any way, and other than a few jokes with the security staff, had no problems at all carrying it onboard. Enjoyed the buffet for lunch and our bags were delivered by 2pm (made sure to tip the porter).

We went on a quick tour of the spa & entered in their draw, which offered some really good prizes, none of which we won. The gym facilities are great, over 40 cardio machines, and our tip is to use the larger showers in the change room instead of the ones in the cabin - unlimited towels, sauna & steamroom, and the same toiletries as in the room. My only fault with the gym is the the $20/2 sessions of yoga... the first session with the male Fitness director was like geriatric yoga for 1st-timers and not worth it. Spent too much time breathing in & out. One lady walked out. The 2nd session was better with Katie.

My breakfast tip is that the buffet will make omlettes to your liking. And you can never eat enough smoked salmon. With the Buffet, why not eat out on deck instead of having to share tables inside? We were able to do that everytime we wanted & there's wait staff out there to assist with drinks & cutlery too. In fact, the rear buffet has the only outdoor table seating with an unobstructed view outdoors by Outriggers Bar.

We had great tablemates at our traditional 8:15 seating. Although one couple in our table of 8 never showed up. When we invited a couple we had met to join us at our table the 4th night, the waiter got scared & brought over the maitre'd who also made a fuss & practically asked them to leave. He brought out the table plan & everything & tried to reseat us. We asked him to wait & see if the last couple would turn up at all before moving us. Turns out no one else from our table showed up so there was no need for all the commotion. Our poor friends were embarrassed & wanted to leave.

Went to Sabatini's which we enjoyed... just have a little of each plate offered, and feel free to turn down any that you don't want to keep you from getting over-stuffed by the time the entree arrives. Both the scallops & lobster were great (and they'll put both on a plate for you if you ask). Great service, we made the poor staff run down to the dining room to fetch our opened wine, they had to go down twice because they couldn't find in the first time.

We attended various trivia & scavenger hunts... do it for the fun, not for the prizes (pens). But the wooden horse racing event apparently had worthwhile prizes (bottles of champagne, free drinks)

We had two really rocky nights, one where there were 10ft waves, and being near the front of the boat meant that our room was creaking and banging all night long.

Our cruise definitely was not sold out, so it was nice to be able to get chairs where we wanted most of the time. Didn't realize at night MUTS that people just leave blankets there even tho' they've left so we could've probably got better seats had we figured that out. Was surprised the screen is so clear at night.

Favorite things:

- warm cookies from the Milk & Cookies girl on the Lido deck & the guy at the International Cafe (you have too see his cookie monster routine, it's over the top).

- the attentiveness of the baristas as the coffee stand (they remembered my husband's order from the day before)

- sushi at Vines (maybe not the best ever but pretty decent for a boat)

- making Arnold Palmers (lemonade & iced tea)

- $2.99 well drinks/beers/select cocktails after 8pm

- the food in the dining rooms at dinner (especially lobster & the filet medallions & fruit sorbet)

- the staff talent show: this was quite impressive... pretty solid talent & the voice that comes out of the engineer who sings "Sweet Caroline" threw us for a loop

The only regret we had was not waking up early on the Roatan stop to watch the boat try to make port... turns out it just couldn't be done getting into Mahogany Bay & instead we had to tender at Coxen Hole (it was a clear day but apparently there were still problems). Would've liked to watch this from a deck (or the fitness centre with a great view). Meant a 45 min delay but word spread fast amongst those on the island & my guess is that any self-directed excursion vendors figured out the location change & delay. Glad the captain made the change because the ship the week before made it in but wasn't able to make it out.

Even tho' there's only a couple weeks left of this particular cruise this season, here's my report anyhow, as thanks to reading so many other helpful posts.

My overall impression of this cruise was that it was fantastic... the ports were some of the more interesting I've been to, it was great value for what we paid (for an inside) and with Princess, we know we'll get really good food. We weren't as close to our wait or room staff as we were with the help on RCCL, but they did a great job nonetheless.

We embarked a little past noon and even tho' the line snaked outside the building, we were in our room within 30 minutes. We brought on a 12-pack of beer, not concealed in any way, and other than a few jokes with the security staff, had no problems at all carrying it onboard. Enjoyed the buffet for lunch and our bags were delivered by 2pm (made sure to tip the porter).

We went on a quick tour of the spa & entered in their draw, which offered some really good prizes, none of which we won. The gym facilities are great, over 40 cardio machines, and our tip is to use the larger showers in the change room instead of the ones in the cabin - unlimited towels, sauna & steamroom, and the same toiletries as in the room. My only fault with the gym is the the $20/2 sessions of yoga... the first session with the male Fitness director was like geriatric yoga for 1st-timers and not worth it. Spent too much time breathing in & out. One lady walked out. The 2nd session was better with Katie.

My breakfast tip is that the buffet will make omlettes to your liking. And you can never eat enough smoked salmon. With the Buffet, why not eat out on deck instead of having to share tables inside? We were able to do that everytime we wanted & there's wait staff out there to assist with drinks & cutlery too. In fact, the rear buffet has the only outdoor table seating with an unobstructed view outdoors by Outriggers Bar.

We had great tablemates at our traditional 8:15 seating. Although one couple in our table of 8 never showed up. When we invited a couple we had met to join us at our table the 4th night, the waiter got scared & brought over the maitre'd who also made a fuss & practically asked them to leave. He brought out the table plan & everything & tried to reseat us. We asked him to wait & see if the last couple would turn up at all before moving us. Turns out no one else from our table showed up so there was no need for all the commotion. Our poor friends were embarrassed & wanted to leave.

Went to Sabatini's which we enjoyed... just have a little of each plate offered, and feel free to turn down any that you don't want to keep you from getting over-stuffed by the time the entree arrives. Both the scallops & lobster were great (and they'll put both on a plate for you if you ask). Great service, we made the poor staff run down to the dining room to fetch our opened wine, they had to go down twice because they couldn't find in the first time.

We attended various trivia & scavenger hunts... do it for the fun, not for the prizes (pens). But the wooden horse racing event apparently had worthwhile prizes (bottles of champagne, free drinks)

We had two really rocky nights, one where there were 10ft waves, and being near the front of the boat meant that our room was creaking and banging all night long.

Our cruise definitely was not sold out, so it was nice to be able to get chairs where we wanted most of the time. Didn't realize at night MUTS that people just leave blankets there even tho' they've left so we could've probably got better seats had we figured that out. Was surprised the screen is so clear at night.

Favorite things:

- warm cookies from the Milk & Cookies girl on the Lido deck & the guy at the International Cafe (you have too see his cookie monster routine, it's over the top).

- the attentiveness of the baristas as the coffee stand (they remembered my husband's order from the day before)

- sushi at Vines (maybe not the best ever but pretty decent for a boat)

- making Arnold Palmers (lemonade & iced tea)

- $2.99 well drinks/beers/select cocktails after 8pm

- the food in the dining rooms at dinner (especially lobster & the filet medallions & fruit sorbet)

- the staff talent show: this was quite impressive... pretty solid talent & the voice that comes out of the engineer who sings "Sweet Caroline" threw us for a loop

The only regret we had was not waking up early on the Roatan stop to watch the boat try to make port... turns out it just couldn't be done getting into Mahogany Bay & instead we had to tender at Coxen Hole (it was a clear day but apparently there were still problems). Would've liked to watch this from a deck (or the fitness centre with a great view). Meant a 45 min delay but word spread fast amongst those on the island & my guess is that any self-directed excursion vendors figured out the location change & delay. Glad the captain made the change because the ship the week before made it in but wasn't able to make it out.

Thanks for sharing. We were on a couple of weeks before you and had wonderful weather and a really great cruise. Glad you enjoyed it!

Mike

Ice88, thanks so much for taking the time to write about your vacation! We sail on the Crown this Saturday the 24th! :D So good to hear first hand info.

This is our first cruise so we're just going to enjoy everything and not sweat the small stuff! Thanks!

Nice review, could not have wrote it better, saves on my fingers. hahaha

When u mentioned about the traditional dining and the fuss. It's up there with my experience there too!

I wrote princess an email as I did not want to make matters worse for me at dinner time so here is the problem I had.

First night order 3 of 4 courses, doubled on the entree so no room for desert, as some may agree, I am not a big person so 2 entree's filled me.

The waiter asked if I would like desert, which i said no i was full.

A few minutes earlier he plunked a cheese cake in front of me.

First I do not eat cheese cake and if I was full I would not push myself sick. Just a note, I am not a big desert person, would rather fill up on regular meal. Most meals when we ate in the dining room, if I did not order 4 of 4 he would make little noises of disgust. One night order the ice cream just to keep him from commenting and he even made remark on that. Skipped 2 other meals and ate at buffet and told hub I should not feel uncomfortable going to dinner and if the waiter did not like my choices he would persist for something else! I do not like to waste and if I don't want it, I will not order it! If I were to say anything at the time, it may have made matters worse for me, so I wrote as soon as i got home.

I was always pleasant and could not figure it out as others at the time would pass on stuff and nothing was said! So, will wait for reply from them and will post what their response is.

Ice88, thanks so much for taking the time to write about your vacation! We sail on the Crown this Saturday the 24th! :D So good to hear first hand info.

This is our first cruise so we're just going to enjoy everything and not sweat the small stuff! Thanks!

You will love the Crown. We have been on her twice in the last four months, and three times in the last year. A beautiful ship. I hope the weather is good for you cruise.

Mike

Nice review, could not have wrote it better, saves on my fingers. hahaha

When u mentioned about the traditional dining and the fuss. It's up there with my experience there too!

I wrote princess an email as I did not want to make matters worse for me at dinner time so here is the problem I had.

First night order 3 of 4 courses, doubled on the entree so no room for desert, as some may agree, I am not a big person so 2 entree's filled me.

The waiter asked if I would like desert, which i said no i was full.

A few minutes earlier he plunked a cheese cake in front of me.

First I do not eat cheese cake and if I was full I would not push myself sick. Just a note, I am not a big desert person, would rather fill up on regular meal. Most meals when we ate in the dining room, if I did not order 4 of 4 he would make little noises of disgust. One night order the ice cream just to keep him from commenting and he even made remark on that. Skipped 2 other meals and ate at buffet and told hub I should not feel uncomfortable going to dinner and if the waiter did not like my choices he would persist for something else! I do not like to waste and if I don't want it, I will not order it! If I were to say anything at the time, it may have made matters worse for me, so I wrote as soon as i got home.

I was always pleasant and could not figure it out as others at the time would pass on stuff and nothing was said! So, will wait for reply from them and will post what their response is.

Wow, that's kind of weird. We have always done anytime dining, so I'm not familiar with any differences in the way ordering is done, but it would make me uncomfortable if the waiter questioned my choices and brought me food I specifically said I didn't want. That is just strange.

We have always had fun with our wait staff, and sometimes go "bring me what you would eat", but it's always been in a fun manner.

Mike

Our cruise definitely was not sold out, so it was nice to be able to get chairs where we wanted most of the time.

Actually the cruise was sold out (we were on this one too). We asked at embarkation and were told it was sold out. Other members of our party were told the same thing when they tried to switch cabins. A member of our party had "room issues" where it was made evident to us that the cruise was indeed sold out (Princess went above and beyond to rectify the matter, IMO).

I do agree that, except for at sea days, the ship never seemed crowded. There was always a place to sit, a place to eat and I never felt we were hemmed in by the masses.

We were on the Crown last month. Our table also had a couple that was missing. The wife made it the first night, but they switched over to anytime dining. So we invited a couple of friends from Cruise Critic to dine with us one night. The waiter reacted as if everything were perfectly normal.

If I ever had a waiter like two4me, he would not have been my waiter very long. A quick word with the head waiter or maitre d' would solve that problem by having him reassigned or us moved.

Thanks for the great review. We sail in 2 days (the 24th). We are waitlisted for main seating and will see the maitre'd as soon as we get on board.

To Cruisinmom48...I don't see you on our board for this cruise. Join us at the Outrigger bar after the muster drill on Sat. We're doing an informal get-together. Then there is a formal "meet & greet" at Skywalkers on Sunday between 1-2PM.

Thanks for your review. I loved the Crown when I was on her last November and am looking forward to sailing her again this year without the very unhappy with cruising friend I sailed with in November. Sailing this time with my niece that I've sailed with before and she is a cruise lover. Boy does it make a difference!

Archived