Pacific Dawn - Broken Down

Surf_Chick

ok so apparently it will be on Channel 7 news tonight, the pacific Dawn has broken down at yorkeys knob (cairns) with an electrical fault, has been there 2 days.

Hopefully they can send out a bulletin to advise everyone what has happened! :rolleyes:

I really do feel sorry for people meant to be leaving on her this saturday!! im leaving next sat (1st) and im freaking out about it :confused:

what does this mean for P&O, 2 out of their 3 ships are currently broken down!!!!! :mad:

ok so apparently it will be on Channel 7 news tonight, the pacific Dawn has broken down at yorkeys knob (cairns) with an electrical fault, has been there 2 days.

Hopefully they can send out a bulletin to advise everyone what has happened! :rolleyes:

I really do feel sorry for people meant to be leaving on her this saturday!! im leaving next sat (1st) and im freaking out about it :confused:

what does this mean for P&O, 2 out of their 3 ships are currently broken down!!!!! :mad:

Don't worry Surf Chick, they'll fix 'em ASAP. Pacific Sun's repairs are on schedule and it's leaving on its next cruise OK.

We are due to leave this Saturday on the Pacific Dawn, have rung P&O and got the brush off, so now have my travel agent onto it, will post when we hear any news on what the situation is.

Looking forward to your findings as we are hopefully boarding this Sat 24 Apr. Fingers crossed for us all. Channel 7 have just said its an electrical fault, on P&O facebook people are saying its a broken prop so who knows.

Our travel agent has just got back to us.

P&O have assured her that the ship will be repaired tonight and it will sail first thing tomorrow morning.

It will miss the port of Willis Island to ensure it makes it to Bris on time.

We feel for the people on board now but I hope we can still make our cruise on time.

Our travel agent has just got back to us.

P&O have assured her that the ship will be repaired tonight and it will sail first thing tomorrow morning.

It will miss the port of Willis Island to ensure it makes it to Bris on time.

We feel for the people on board now but I hope we can still make our cruise on time.

Hi Ccdouble, I heard secondhand from someone on board that it was to do with an electrical fault in aux. power. Lots of rumours get around, including a big mistake in a NZ paper regarding the Pacific Sun. (Trust the media to get it wrong. :cool:) Take more notice of your TA and have a great holiday - I hope it's just the BEST!

The passengers probably could have bussed to Port Douglas from Yorkey's Knob today - it's not far. Also the ship just goes around Willis Is which is very small with just a lighthouse, so I wouldn't regard that as too drastic a loss - I believe they do it so they go out of Aust. waters, but I may be wrong.

Good luck with your cruise! :)

Willis island is hardly a port more like a rock in the ocean!! I think going there is something to do with duty free availability.:confused:

Yes, that is correct.

I'm going to let you all know how silly I am here:rolleyes:. When I first heard that they anchor off Willis Island for an hour or so just so that they go into international waters enabling passengers to buy duty free.........I had this image of 2000 people doing their shopping in an hour:eek:. For some reason, anchoring there for an hour allows them to sell duty free the whole cruise:confused:.

Here's a pic of Willis Is

We sailed on the Dawn last September and it was a whole engine to be replaced. You could not board till 5 pm, only a few hours in Noumea and late into our first Tongan port. They then took on the new motor but it still took time to repair. We were given $50.oo credit on our account. It does not make up for the disappointment. Its time the got some new ships and not old past downs from Carnival or who ever. This was our 3rd sailing with P.O and we will never go again. The service has reduced with the staff working twice as hard. The quality of the food has gone downhill and no control on the kids. Teenagers just run wild night & day.

Yes, that is correct.

I'm going to let you all know how silly I am here:rolleyes:. When I first heard that they anchor off Willis Island for an hour or so just so that they go into international waters enabling passengers to buy duty free.........I had this image of 2000 people doing their shopping in an hour:eek:. For some reason, anchoring there for an hour allows them to sell duty free the whole cruise:confused:.

When we went there in Jan '09 we barely stopped there. The anchor was lowered and raised, so that the Captain could log that the ship "anchored" there, but in reality we didn't stop.

When we went there in Jan '09 we barely stopped there. The anchor was lowered and raised, so that the Captain could log that the ship "anchored" there, but in reality we didn't stop.

That's a bit cheeky, eh? :D Haha, I wonder if they'll manage to get around the problem this time?

It is a very flat island and has a weather station on it. If you go onto the BOM.gov.au website it is a marker for weather radar.

And yes they do go there for duty free shopping. P&O will be missing out on profits on this cruise if they can't allow passengers to buy duty free.

2295949940078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

2664728670078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

I wonder what will happen to all the duty free stuff that pax bought prior departure and during the trip which is normally handed back to them on disembarkation.:confused: If they then have to pay duty on it on arrival back to Brisbane, there will be some very angry people.:mad:

Perhaps P & O will pay the duty for them so they can keep their items:rolleyes:

Jenny

On our cruise late last year, we only slowed down as we passed Willis Island. They didn't even drop the anchor. The Captain talked to the meteorologist on the island and the conversation was broadcast to passengers on the open decks.

Archived