Nice Lunch Spot in Amsterdam/Around Anne Frank House and BoatHouse Amsterdam

I have looked at TripAdvisor, but nothing is really popping out at me concerning a special lunch spot in Amsterdam on Thursday, August 19th.

We would have a window of 1 pm to 3 pm.

I realize that we are looking for a nice spot on opening day of the Sail In Parade, so I have no issue with making reservations if needed.

Also, if you have experience and you think it might be better to just find a good cheese shop I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help with anything "special", but there's plenty of pavement restaurants, bars, cafes etc on Damrak, the main avenue leading to the rail station - great for relaxed people-watching. Canal tour boats right opposite. A 15 min walk to the cruise terminal.

John Bull

Right next to the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) is a nice place to sit outside I if the weather is good. It is called 't Nieuwe Kafe and serves sandwiches, etc. It is right on the Dam, the main square. There is also seating inside. Since it is a great place for people watching, it is very popular and I am not sure they take reservations.

Further west towards the Anne Frank House you will find a more quiet place with outdoor seating. It is on the Singel as you follow the walking tour.

am%2088b.jpg

am%2087a.jpg

What kind of lunch are you looking for? Hot? Cold? Three courses or just a sandwich? The Dutch generally have a sandwich for lunch or an omelet. A three course meal might be slightly more difficult. What do you mean by "boathouse"? I've never heared of that. Is this the houseboat museum?

All hotels and restaurants on Damrak offer poor quality at inflated prices, some are even in the hands of very dubious types, so I would strongly advise against that. No local eats there. Plus it is nowhere near the Anne Frank House. We used to sometimes go to the Nieuwe Café in the past, but prices are very steep for what's offered. A bit of a tourist trap too.

If you want something authentic Dutch, go to the Pancake Bakery. They sell original Dutch pancakes, and poffertjes (very small pancakes, but thicker, more like American style breakfast pancakes but smaller). They are on Prinsengracht 191 (Anne Frank House is on 263), so you only have to walk approx 1 block.

In the area where the Anne Frank House is (called the Jordaan), there are a lot of small quaint places to have a small bite. I agree with Wendy you do not have to reserve.

Thanks everyone.

Good suggestions.

Looks like we are going for a quick lunch so we will be saving our appetite for a dinner on our ship. Plus, there will not be much time, as we only have six hours in Amsterdam, and with the Sail In, as well as the other couple things we want to do... we don't want to spend a good percentage of the time dining. Looks like two small snacks versus one big sit down meal. Which is fine with us.

Here is the Boathouse... sorry it was confusing... I guess just saying the Anne Frank House would have been good enough. I believe this canal cruise is right by the Anne Frank House:

http://www.canalcruisesamsterdam.com/

The Pancake Bakery sounds interesting, as I am also interested in snacking on a good bit of cheese. Any recommendations?

Thanks again.

Our Jewel TA ended in Amsterdam in 2008, and our cab driver recommended a place for lunch not far from the Anne Frank house. Its English version name was "Mr. Pancake." The dutch was something like Mineer Pankakke. It had a red and white stripped awning (kind of like TGI Fridays) and we enjoyed delicious crepes there. It was perfect for us and it seemed filled by the locals.

Our Jewel TA ended in Amsterdam in 2008, and our cab driver recommended a place for lunch not far from the Anne Frank house. Its English version name was "Mr. Pancake." The dutch was something like Mineer Pankakke. It had a red and white stripped awning (kind of like TGI Fridays) and we enjoyed delicious crepes there. It was perfect for us and it seemed filled by the locals.

Yep, that is on the Raadhuisstraat. Have never eaten there, so cannot comment on quality.

Just three or four doors down from the Anne Frank Huis private entrance is a downstairs cafe run by a couple of ladies.

We had a very pleasant lunch there.

Nothing to write home about other than it was convenient and worked for us!

In the area around Anne Frankhuis you will find various small places for lunch.

Since you have a busy programm that day, I would suggest to see what is easiest on your route that day.

Also, if you have experience and you think it might be better to just find a good cheese shop I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

For a good cheese shop, consider a little detour to the Kaas Kamer. It is at Runstraat 7. Google the location.

Here is what Frommer had to say about the place:

Possibly Amsterdam's best cheese store, with deli delights to boot. You may have a hard time choosing from the 300 different cheeses for sale, including rows and rows of authentic wheels of aged Gouda stamped with their farm of origin, and cumin-flavored komijnenkaas. They will vacuum-pack and courier cheese anywhere for travelers.

The Pancake House is a good option. I've eaten there twice. They have a variety of meal type pancakes and a lot of desert ones too (the apples with cinnamon ice cream is good).

For snacks, a very popular option is french fries. They have many places that sell them. They are served hot in a paper cone with a selection of sauces. They're easy to eat while walking around.

They will vacuum-pack and courier cheese anywhere for travelers.

This is important if you are from a country (like the US) with strict custom regulations concerning importing food. Please note that you officially are only allowed to bring a whole round cheese into the States, not a piece that is cut off a large wheel, even if it is sealed. They have little round cheeses, and any decent shop that sees a lot of tourists will know about this.

Archived