Allen Marine in Sitka

zelker

Does anyone know what the maximum number of people Allen Marine will take on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest boat?

I'm sure someone has the exact number - but from my experience I'd say it's over 100. Would guess the time that I did it there were about 70 people plus crew. It did get crowded on top at times - but the viewing area on top is tiered so that the ones in the back 2 rows can see over the ones along the rail.

I was just talking to a former Allen Marine crew member in Sitka this morning -he said that it can be as few as 50 or as many as 120 depending on which boat they use.

How ironic! I didn't realize they used more than one boat. Thanks for those numbers.

We did Allen Marine's tour in 2006 but it was early June. This year we'll be there late July so anticipating more people taking it. I've contacted a few of the small boat vendors but understandably they don't have very flexible cancellation policies (unless they cancel for weather or the ship doesn't make it to port) and since we're still 3 months out, we don't want to commit yet. So we're going ahead and reserving spots on HAL and when we get closer to the sailing date and if there is still availability with a smaller boat, we'll just cancel HAL. That said, we just wondered how packed the big boat might get if we wind up having to take it.

We are booked on the Wildlife Quest and Beach Exploration Cruise with Allen Marine. We booked through HAL. I liked the idea of having the wildlife cruise but also being able to get off the boat at a remote island and explore for a little bit. I hope that this excursion doesn't have over 100 people on it, but either way I know we'll enjoy ourselves.

I originally considered the Ester G but all the spots were taken so I went with this route.

The Allen Marine boats are large and can accomodate a lot of people.

But they are very well designed and roomy and easy to get around. Frankly I prefer the amenities (flush toilets are way up there on my list) of a big boat. Taking pictures of sea otters is not an activity which seems to me to be any better whether there are 5 or 99 other people taking the same picture with you.

YMMV

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived