Boat building rules

Dog Drool

Not all of the cruises that we have been on (which is quite a few) have the ship building contests.

Really depends on the CD and staff if they want one as well as how port intensive a cruise.

On those cruises where they did have one -- the people had to build the "ship" from materials they can find on the ship!! You are not suppose to bring items from home to do this. You can buy some things in the port like tape. But one CD frouned on this.

We've built a few ships over the years and every time we have, the "rules" have been a little different depending on the ship and the CD. Generally you can use whatever you find on the ship or get in port. They frown on you using objects that belong to the ship, i.e. dishes, plants, baskets, towels, etc. You can use cardboard, paper, bags, straws, tape, string, mostly anything consumable. We have found that anytime we asked for something it was happily given, found for us, or substituted.

If you've been on the Zaandam recently, hopefully our "Dam Pirate Trivia" ship is still hanging around the CD's office. That ship was made entirely w/ things purchased in port and found on the ship. I'll see if I can upload a pix of it (I'm usually challenged by things such as this).

Have a great ship building and a great cruise.

Jeanne

It is pretty neat to see what some of the people do. I have been on 3 HAL trips and only the last one had a contest. It may have been because it was a 2wk cruise and the others I have been on were 1wk Alaska which doesn't leave much time.

Archived