Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

I can't answer completely. But I have taken Amtrak and been in a sleeping car. It is fun....but do NOT count of being on time. As with flying, be sure to give yourself at least one extra day. And from that far away, make it two days. Amtrak has a horrible on time record. They can fall hours behind just getting out of FL.

Gina

Yikes! It's a 2 day voyage from LA to Houston, so to play it safe I'd need to leave 4 days early?? eek!:eek:

So does anyone know why Disney Wonder thinks they will be profitable with the prices they are charging doing the Mexican Riviera, when there are four ships leaving the west coast? I just can't figure that one out. :confused:

Toni

Because Disney is Disney and can attract passengers even while charging twice as much.

This is really bad news. We are still moning the loss of the Monach, now the west coast is losing the Mariner too. Will LA get another ship? How about the Radiance? At this point I would settle for the SS Minnow

The SS Minnow is about three hours outside of Hawaii. The Radiance is headed for Australia.

Nature... and competition... abhors a vacuum. Adam Goldstein may be short sighted from his limited Florida vantage point... and I imagine that it's been years since he's sailed with a West Coast crowd on a competitor's ship, where there is an understanding of the West Coast market.

Maybe his RCI corporate competitor from Celebrity will decide that it's time to show Richard Fain and the Board that he should be the heir apparent, rather than the myopic Adam Goldstein. We can hope.

Otherwise, loyal royals have no choice to go elsewhere. RCL doesn't view loyalty for itself in the same way as the loyalty it wants from its customers.

I've never sailed on Carnival because of its rowdy reputation but reputations change with time. What cruise lines do board members recommend to supplant Royal Caribbean for those of us who live on West Coast and hate the get up at 3 in the morning to fly in painful discomfort to RCL's favored markets?

Carnival's party hardy reputation applies to its three day weekend cruises. The passengers on Carnival's one week cruises are just like the passengers on Royal Caribbean's one week cruises. I've been on two Carnival one week cruises and five Royal Caribbean one week cruises. I have two eight night cruises booked on Carnival. When I get the chance I'll probably book the Splendor.

If Carnival doesn't suit you, there is Princess out of Los Angeles and HAL out of San Diego.

Which reminds me...anyone on the West Coast ever try taking an Amtrak sleeping car to Houston, NO, or Florida to catch their cruise?? I'm considering doing so to Houston for my 2011 cruise. It's pretty expensive to get a bedroom, but it could be fun?

Take the number of days it is schedule, double that and then add one more day. Then pray you make it to your destination before the ship leaves.

I'll take the train on short routes, but never on a long route again.

You are assuming that Mariner bookings were low. Multiple people on the ship told me that the ship never sailed under 3000 passengers (as they were told by the executive staff repeatedly for the last 2 years) and they took pride in this. I don't think it's a booking issue. I think it's the safety in Mexico, higher taxes and fuel charges and less $$ being spent on board.

Katherine

The Mariner arrived late February 2009 in LA, so she has been like 14 months around now.

To play it safe you need to leave five days early, and then pray a lot.

Take the number of days it is schedule, double that and then add one more day. Then pray you make it to your destination before the ship leaves.

These are probably the better ideas. My 2 days extra was probably wishful thinking for a route that long. Save the amtrak trip for when you just want to hang out and don't really have to be anywhere. It is fun to sit in the dining car for dinner and watch the world go by. :D At least it was 20+ years ago. :o

Gina

How did you get your 9 day Spirit cruise booked? They new itineraries still aren't showing up on their website?

Gina

I called the Carnival Agent I booked the cruise with (really nice guy and VERY responsive surprisingly), and told him that I read that the Spirit was cancelling cruises and changing things around. He responded within a few minutes and said that if I could be flexible with my dates, they can just book me on the new 9 day cruise that left four days later than the original 8 day cruise. They would give me the same cabin and I would pay the same price. We were pretty happy with the $389 rate for an 8 day cruise, and now we get a 9 day cruise for the same price (and I like the new itinerary better actually, although that is just a personal preference, as we have done the MR cruises quite a bit).

I would guess that the reason you can't book the new cruises is because they need to make sure that the previously booked passengers have first priority for changing their reservation. That is just a guess though. Our Carnival agent said something to the effect that we were guaranteed the same cabin catagory should we decide to switch our reservation (instead of a refund).

Also, I was wrong about the Spirit doing only 4 day and 9 day cruises. While they are doing a 4 day and a 9 day cruise, the "official" email we received from Carnival was that they were doing a bunch of different length cruises.

Sounds like trip insurance is definetly in order:D:p

I hear lots of us West Caosters say we have always sailed on Royal, but have not yet tried Carnival, so they can't speak on Carnival's quality.

Well I have tried Carnival, THREE times, and I still hate it (three strikes and you are out, right?). I tried the Splendor, yuck. The only way I can explain it for you guys, it's like trying to explain the difference between Vegas and Laughlin.:eek:

Enough said, I will miss RCCL and I guess from now on I will be doing lots more flying to Houston/Galveston, NO, and Florida. Not because of my loyalty to Royal, but because no matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to like Carnival.:mad:

ITA...for anyone who has been to both Laughlin and Vegas, this is a great comparison. ;)

However....with that being said.....its like an itch....that itch needs to be scratched......Laughlin being closer to us than Vegas is.....it does scratches that itch.

Maybe Carnival will scratch the itch.....but so far we are not willing to try! :D :eek:

ITA...for anyone who has been to both Laughlin and Vegas, this is a great comparison. ;)

However....with that being said.....its like an itch....that itch needs to be scratched......Laughlin being closer to us than Vegas is.....it does scratches that itch.

Maybe Carnival will scratch the itch.....but so far we are not willing to try! :D :eek:

In my three experiences, Carnival doesn't scratch the itch, Carnival makes me itch!:D:eek:

In my three experiences, Carnival doesn't scratch the itch, Carnival makes me itch!:D:eek:

ROFL.....In our case, the gambler of the family....that would NOT be me....Laughlin does OK for him. (I go shopping!) :)

But just like your reply....I haven't even tried Carnival and it makes me itchy. :eek: :D

I called the Carnival Agent I booked the cruise with (really nice guy and VERY responsive surprisingly), and told him that I read that the Spirit was cancelling cruises and changing things around. He responded within a few minutes and said that if I could be flexible with my dates, they can just book me on the new 9 day cruise that left four days later than the original 8 day cruise. They would give me the same cabin and I would pay the same price. We were pretty happy with the $389 rate for an 8 day cruise, and now we get a 9 day cruise for the same price (and I like the new itinerary better actually, although that is just a personal preference, as we have done the MR cruises quite a bit).

I would guess that the reason you can't book the new cruises is because they need to make sure that the previously booked passengers have first priority for changing their reservation. That is just a guess though. Our Carnival agent said something to the effect that we were guaranteed the same cabin catagory should we decide to switch our reservation (instead of a refund).

Also, I was wrong about the Spirit doing only 4 day and 9 day cruises. While they are doing a 4 day and a 9 day cruise, the "official" email we received from Carnival was that they were doing a bunch of different length cruises.

The Spirit is now doing 4,5,6,7,8, and 9 day cruises.

Just off the Mariner yesterday and heard it from Captain Johny during the captains corner. Even though i am from the East Coast, I was saddened to hear that because cruising from So. Cal was such a unique experience. BTW, had a great cruise.; will write a review later.

Just off the Mariner yesterday and heard it from Captain Johny during the captains corner. Even though i am from the East Coast, I was saddened to hear that because cruising from So. Cal was such a unique experience. BTW, had a great cruise.; will write a review later.

Do you know if he is the captain that will take her to Europe? he was suppose to leave for Allure but looks like he keeps coming back to the Mariner.

If they dont replace her with a similar or better ship I have to say that I may be jumping brands. We dont have any other options here in LA except Carnival. But the Splendor is brand new so it will be more appealing if they replace the Mariner with anything less.....

The Sapphire Princess is still doing Mexican Riviera cruises albeit a shortened season and some Hawaii 2011 cruises in the middle.

We were so excited to get the Mariner in LA, we took her up from Chile... Since last yr we have been on her 5 times and took our kids and our grandkids.. You can take the whole family when you don't have to pay for airfare. I think that RCCL is making a mistake not having any ships on the West Coast. Some people don't like to fly and enjoy cruise RCCL ..well this ends that. I had a cruise booked for Jan and got the call the other day saying sorry.................... Iam not sure why they can't do the north coast run. When the H1N1 virus hit they took people north and alot of people enjoyed it. How about the Hawaii run?? Oh well I guess we just won't get to cruise RCCL as much anymore. So sad):

Well, 8 more months and these type of Pictures will just be a Memory.....Thanks Adam.......:mad:

Here is she backing down the channel the morning of Feb 19th.....Her first Morning in LA...

IMG_5333.jpg?t=1272345346

Her First Morning in her Birth in San Pedro......And look....NO FOG....EVER!

IMG_5386.jpg?t=1272345504

And her Second time, but First with the Inagural Cruisers of Feb 22 09 in the Bay at Cabo......We will miss these pictures of her being very happy!

IMG_5609.jpg?t=1272345656

But at Least RCCL gave ( Sold ) to me to remember OUR SHIPS here on the West Coast......:eek:

IMG_2805.jpg?t=1272345783

Mike....A very UnHappy West Coast Cruiser!!!!

Well, 8 more months and these type of Pictures will just be a Memory.....Thanks Adam.......:mad:

Here is she backing down the channel the morning of Feb 19th.....Her first Morning in LA...

IMG_5333.jpg?t=1272345346

Her First Morning in her Birth in San Pedro......And look....NO FOG....EVER!

IMG_5386.jpg?t=1272345504

And her Second time, but First with the Inagural Cruisers of Feb 22 09 in the Bay at Cabo......We will miss these pictures of her being very happy!

IMG_5609.jpg?t=1272345656

But at Least RCCL gave ( Sold ) to me to remember OUR SHIPS here on the West Coast......:eek:

IMG_2805.jpg?t=1272345783

Mike....A very UnHappy West Coast Cruiser!!!!

Great Pics!

I hear lots of us West Caosters say we have always sailed on Royal, but have not yet tried Carnival, so they can't speak on Carnival's quality.

Well I have tried Carnival, THREE times, and I still hate it (three strikes and you are out, right?). I tried the Splendor, yuck. The only way I can explain it for you guys, it's like trying to explain the difference between Vegas and Laughlin.:eek:

Enough said, I will miss RCCL and I guess from now on I will be doing lots more flying to Houston/Galveston, NO, and Florida. Not because of my loyalty to Royal, but because no matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to like Carnival.:mad:

There are more choices than Carnival. HAL and Princess will continue to sail out of SoCal and Disney is coming in as well. Both our RCCL cruises have not topped our best Carnval cruises. Our Mariner cruise fell flat with bad My Time service and less than average food. But nothing has topped our Princess cruise. Give them a try.

Archived