Room Service Charge?

lovecruising62

This is our 1st NCL cruise :) and I thought I read somewhere that NCL charges for Room Service ordered after 12 AM. Is this true?? My kids (18 & 20) who have an addiction to room service in the wee hours of the AM (cause they don't eat enough during the day!) are quite concerned about this...:rolleyes:

This is our 1st NCL cruise :) and I thought I read somewhere that NCL charges for Room Service ordered after 12 AM. Is this true?? My kids (18 & 20) who have an addiction to room service in the wee hours of the AM (cause they don't eat enough during the day!) are quite concerned about this...:rolleyes:

NCL doesn't charge for late night room service. I believe it is Royal Caribbean that charges.

It's free, but don't forget to tip :) Room service is not included in your standard daily gratuities.

how does anyone know this? NCL doesn't publicize how the DSC is distributed. I have recogonized familiar faces of servers I see in the main dining rooms delivering room service as well. To me that would suggest they are included in the pool and there is no need to provide anything extra unless the service provided was extraordinary...

how does anyone know this? NCL doesn't publicize how the DSC is distributed. I have recogonized familiar faces of servers I see in the main dining rooms delivering room service as well. To me that would suggest they are included in the pool and there is no need to provide anything extra unless the service provided was extraordinary...

And when you see them in the MDR and again in the middle of the night you don't think they're doing extra work to pick up a few extra bucks? :rolleyes:

Do as you wish. I'm sure they'll still be their usual courteous selves either way.

You know this now because you are on the NCL board on Cruise Critic! :D

The posters on this board know this from years of experience cruising NCL and are passing this information on to YOU.

The servers in the MDR & Specialty restaurants work extra shifts doing room service and are not part of the DSC pool for those shifts. They do appreciate a $ or $$ for the delivery service.

Man this is cheap--tip the room service delivery person--if you can not afford a buck maybe you should not cruise.

BG

You know this now because you are on the NCL board on Cruise Critic! :D

The posters on this board know this from years of experience cruising NCL and are passing this information on to YOU.

The servers in the MDR & Specialty restaurants work extra shifts doing room service and are not part of the DSC pool for those shifts. They do appreciate a $ or $$ for the delivery service.

Just wondering how it came to be an established "fact" here on these boards but nowhere else. Has anyone spoken to a crew member about it?

Per NCL's website:

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

I'm not trying to pick fights, but how do you KNOW they are working an extra shift that does not entitle them to be included in the pool? What if it's a regularly scheduled shift? Or if they work the extra shift so they are entitled to more of the DSC. From what's posted online, it sounds to me like they are included, either as restaurant staff (under the site's restaurant listings, it lists room service) OR as "behind-the-scenes support staff" - tell me what (and how you know this) kind of crew member falls under this classification and is entitled to part of the DSC while room service is not?

"Just wondering how it came to be an established "fact" here on these boards but nowhere else. Has anyone spoken to a crew member about it?"

Yes, there's been a few NCL crew members posting on this board (confirmed because they met a few posters here on board). James "ohionclcruisier" used to post here quite regulary from Hawaii and had a blog about his shipboard experience.

Yes. This information comes from direct interaction with the crew members.

This is not a secret here on CC. Why are you here if you don't want to believe what we are telling you?

Do you mind sharing with me when and with whom you spoke with regarding this? I realize the fact that it's a commonly know "fact" here on CC but I'm just wanting to make sure it's accurate onboard too. Just looking for a little information and a source to back it up...

I believe community guide lines suggest posting links etc to "back up" information posted. I've searched the NCL forum and can't seem to find any solid information regarding this.

Philob is there a link to his blog so I can read it?

I'm with you BG. LOL!

I totally agree. It's amazing to me that people shell out thousands for a cruise, but won't tip a few bucks. I always add a couple bucks to each bar tab and tip room service $5. Tipping is not a city in China

I got this off of the first website that came up when I googled the question:

What about...?

There are exceptions to every rule. Room service is one. There is no additional charge for room service, but it is customary to tip the steward who delivers it. In most cases, this will not be your regular steward. Depending on what you've ordered and whether it was delivered in a timely manner, $1.00 to $3.00 will suffice. If it's just juice and a pot of coffee, the lesser amount will do; a heavy tray with a full dinner would warrant the larger amount.

Another exception is the à la carte restaurant. More common on modern cruise ships, these dining venues offer a change from the main dining room—often in a private, more intimate atmosphere, with a special menu and personal service. While there may, or may not, be an extra charge for the meal, a one-time gratuity is suggested. Your ship's daily schedule will contain instructions for making reservations and outline tipping protocol.

Children... Parents often argue the need to tip the entire recommended amount for their little ones. I wonder if these parents don't see the messes their children leave in the bathroom, cabin, and dining room. Not to mention that some of them run their waiters ragged replacing plates of food that they "don't like." Just because children are smaller than adults, it doesn't mean they are less trouble to clean up after. Parents have already gotten a reduced (third or fourth passenger) fare for them or, in some cases, free passage. Moms and Dads, cough up the full tip or stay home. 'Nuff said.

wouldnt you tip the guy who brought you room service at a hotel, or the delivery guy who brought you pizza?? i always bring 20 in ones for room service.. jeeeesh,.. even at an all inclusive land resort i still tip the room service guy.. its just common courtesy.. hell we even tipped the kid at bestbuy last week for bringing out our new tv a whole 2 feet from the door to our car.. not tippong aggrivates me, but to each his own i guess...

I got this off of the first website that came up when I googled the question:

What about...?

There are exceptions to every rule. Room service is one. There is no additional charge for room service, but it is customary to tip the steward who delivers it. In most cases, this will not be your regular steward. Depending on what you've ordered and whether it was delivered in a timely manner, $1.00 to $3.00 will suffice. If it's just juice and a pot of coffee, the lesser amount will do; a heavy tray with a full dinner would warrant the larger amount.

Another exception is the à la carte restaurant. More common on modern cruise ships, these dining venues offer a change from the main dining room—often in a private, more intimate atmosphere, with a special menu and personal service. While there may, or may not, be an extra charge for the meal, a one-time gratuity is suggested. Your ship's daily schedule will contain instructions for making reservations and outline tipping protocol.

Children... Parents often argue the need to tip the entire recommended amount for their little ones. I wonder if these parents don't see the messes their children leave in the bathroom, cabin, and dining room. Not to mention that some of them run their waiters ragged replacing plates of food that they "don't like." Just because children are smaller than adults, it doesn't mean they are less trouble to clean up after. Parents have already gotten a reduced (third or fourth passenger) fare for them or, in some cases, free passage. Moms and Dads, cough up the full tip or stay home. 'Nuff said.

I've seen and heard things onboard regarding tipping Kids Crew staff etc and how they are not included in the DSC but I've never seen or heard anything by NCL to the effect that room service is not included. What you found through your google search is more for the traditional cruise than Freestyle. The only tipping protocol outlines I've seen by NCL are that the DSC is distributed amongst the crew, butler and concierge are not included in the DSC as well as Kids Crew staff, bar staff, spa staff etc. Has anyone else seen any different?

wouldnt you tip the guy who brought you room service at a hotel, or the delivery guy who brought you pizza?? i always bring 20 in ones for room service.. jeeeesh,.. even at an all inclusive land resort i still tip the room service guy.. its just common courtesy.. hell we even tipped the kid at bestbuy last week for bringing out our new tv a whole 2 feet from the door to our car.. not tippong aggrivates me, but to each his own i guess...

I've said nothing about not tipping at hotels, for pizza etc. There is no DSC like there is onboard. I also tip at all inclusive land resorts where I don't pay a service charge, resort fee etc. My point is not that they are deserving of the tip or not, but whether or not they are included in the DSC pool for their room service duties.

Room service isn't part of the DSC.

Move on to the next subject. Please.

Here's an idea. Call NCL and ask them. They'll tell you what a bunch of experienced cruisers on CC have already told you.

We all know how accurate information there is, but I suppose that's the best way to get information without harsh accusations being made.

You don't believe NCL......You don't believe us! :eek:

I guess you are just SOL!

But you should tip the room service delivery person.

On the contrary, on my next cruise, I will try to find the friendly server I met on my last cruise who told me she would be on the Epic. I will talk to her and ask her for the dirt, then I will report back here for all interested parties. Have a fantastic weekend!

Spoke with a few supervisors who all assured me it IS included. For anyone looking for information with a source, there it is.

Why dont you ask aboard ship--never trust the shore people--I think it is still very cheap not to tip the room service people--

BG

Under the tipping section on the NCL FAQ page:

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Since not everyone uses room service- I have and always will tip those who deliver to my room.

Archived