Back from Freedom today?

Hi! We got back from Freedom today. It was our first cruise and it was fantastic! Great service, especially from the dining room. Our room (#8246) was very clean and our state attendant did a great job of keeping it that way.

The weather was great the entire time. There was some heavy wind on the first and last days, but never hit any rain (that I can remember anyway.) It was pretty hazy in Labadee in the morning, but it cleared in the afternoon.

Food was good in the main dining room. I didn't care for most stuff in Wind Jammer. Johnny Rockets was good. I was a bit dissapointed in the desserts.

All of the ports were nice. Ocho Rios was our favorite.

Is there anything specific you want to know? We're going to write an extensive review soon.

Really, Ochos Rios was your favorite? We're cruising the end of June and heard that is many people's least favorite port. I am interested to hear what was so great about it???

We're just back today too. For us, Ocho Rios was our least favorite because of the way the locals harrassed us constantly to buy things. But we did Dunn's River Falls there, and THAT was amazing. Other than the tour guide harrassing people for tips afterwards and telling people that they didn't give him enough. :eek:

We enjoyed the cruise itself. The food in the dining room was overall very good. We had My Time Dining, and our servers were Hyde (pronounced Heidi) and Rodlee. They were wonderful. There was only one night that I did not like my entree, and nothing else on the menu appealed to me either. But everything else I had was great. Windjammer and Jade were okay, but we only really ate breakfast there. Sandwiches from Cafe Promenade were good, Sorrento's pizza was just okay. We didn't do any of the specialty restaurants.

Entertainment was pretty good. The cruise director, Allan Brooks, was hilarious! Our favorite show was definitely the ice show, but the singer/dancer productions were good too.

We had a balcony stateroom (# 8388) which was great. We really enjoyed our activities at every port of call as well.

Unfortunately, even though we had a wonderful cruise, we had some issues after the cruise. We ended up missing our flight because of it. I called RCI's customer service to try to rectify the situation. I'm not going to get into all the details (and anyway I know that would just spark a debate about who was right/wrong and I frankly don't care) but basically the person I spoke to was extremely rude to me right off the bat, even though I was not rude to her. I calmly explained my situation and she treated me like dirt. Then, when my husband took the phone from me after I couldn't hold back my tears anymore, she lied to him and told him that she had offered me a refund on the airport transfer. She also got angry when he accidentally called her "sir" when he took the phone, not knowing that it was a woman I was talking to. Her whole attitude left a really bad taste in my mouth. I know that they may not have been able to do anything for us, but there was no reason for her to be so horrible to me. I have read complaints about customer service on here before, and I always thought they were exaggerated, but now I know better. I'll have to think long and hard about whether I want to spend another dime with a company who treated me that way after I just spent thousands on their ship.

Basically, we had an amazing tour guide. We booked with Peat Taylor and he took us to Dunn River Falls, which was amazing. We loved the climb and had a lot of fun with the whole group. After that, it was just the two of us on our tour with Peat Taylor's son. He took us to the cool blue hole (best place ever!) and we stopped in a Jamaican neighborhood store to buy some beer and snacks for our trip to the cool blue hole. Once at the blue hole, we were left with another tour guide (Omar) who showed us how to jump off the falls, then took us on a little hike to some taller falls. After that, we ate some jerk chicken and headed back to the ship.

We did get asked if we wanted weed, and we were asked a billion times if I wanted braids in my hair. But we simply said "no thank you" to everyone who tried to sell us stuff and moved on. Ocho Rios is a beautiful place with a lot of culture. It was fantastic! It was by far our favorite stop and I would love to spend more time there.

We too had a wonderful time. Not much to complain about, except it went too fast.

The crew lived up to their reputation and the choices were endless when it came to activities and entertainment. The ship was very clean and looked great!

I will write a complete review tomorrow and post in the review section.

Only problem we had, was with private transportation to and from the ship I selected. It was Travelynx. I would not use them again. They double booked us and another couple for two different times causing us to arrive an hour later than I requested. Leaving the ship they had us wait 45 minutes curbside. I asked the dispatcher how long the wait was going to be after standing curbside for 30 minutes. She told me that she just call the driver. I asked why did she wait 30 minutes. Her response was a shoulder shrug.

Unfortunately, even though we had a wonderful cruise, we had some issues after the cruise. We ended up missing our flight because of it. I called RCI's customer service to try to rectify the situation. I'm not going to get into all the details (and anyway I know that would just spark a debate about who was right/wrong and I frankly don't care) but basically the person I spoke to was extremely rude to me right off the bat, even though I was not rude to her. I calmly explained my situation and she treated me like dirt. Then, when my husband took the phone from me after I couldn't hold back my tears anymore, she lied to him and told him that she had offered me a refund on the airport transfer. She also got angry when he accidentally called her "sir" when he took the phone, not knowing that it was a woman I was talking to. Her whole attitude left a really bad taste in my mouth. I know that they may not have been able to do anything for us, but there was no reason for her to be so horrible to me. I have read complaints about customer service on here before, and I always thought they were exaggerated, but now I know better. I'll have to think long and hard about whether I want to spend another dime with a company who treated me that way after I just spent thousands on their ship.

I'm very sorry about your after-cruise experience. It's very tough to have such a great vacation and then have it ruined in the end by something like that. No matter what the circumstances, you now have a really bad taste in your mouth about the whole vacation. We had something very similar happen to us when we took our first cruise and we felt so disappointed afterwards. However, if it helps at all, as time went by, we for the most part forgot the bad experience and it's the wonderful cruise that sticks out in our memories. We talk about what a great time we had on the cruise and we never even think about what happened afterwards. I hope the same thing happens for you.

We were on this cruise as well. This is a beautiful ship!!! We were in the corner aft cabin (1400) on the 10 deck which we absolutely loved and had a fantastic time on the cruise. Met up with several people from our Roll Call and had a great time together during the course of the vacation.

The service and the food was very good. The Wind Jammer is a buffet with tons of selections and we thought the food in the main dining room was delicious. If you go hungry, it's your own fault!!

Evening entertainment was superb. A couple shows were just like Broadway. The costumes, sets and talent were amazing. The illusionist they had on board was fabulous-not to be missed. Game shows -Love and Marriage, and the Quest were hilarious. The cruise director, Allen Brooks, was one of the best I've seen.

Had a wonderful time in the ports of call. Went with Peat Taylor in Jamaica and was very glad we did. He got us to Dunns River Falls early which can make a big difference. Talked to others who didn't get there until the afternoon and they said it was actually a little scary because it was very crowded by then. The venders there can really hassle you, but you just have to be tough and say no. Also went river tubing which was very fun.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a must. It is quite an experience and one that will never be forgotten. You are actually in waist deep water and can feed and hold the stingrays. (Very safe). Lots of tour operators out there, but we can recommend Stingray Sailing very highly. Loved the catamaran and the fact that they only took out 25 people. Very nice crew.

You will love this cruise. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

Rita

We are planning on doing the Stingray City excursion and have a couple of questions. We are contemplating between Stingray City and Moby Dicks. How was the catamaran? Were there places to sit? We will have twin boys with us (ages 4) and a 7 year old girl as well as two teenage boys. I was concerned with the catamaran with the young kids. Also, do they pick you up and drop you back off at port? What about payment? Did you pay cash when you got there or by credit card? Any help would be appreciated...

I have visited Ocho Rios on Majesty of the Seas. I had a wonderful experience; we had eight in our party. We hired a private taxi, who took us all over the area, we visited Dunn River Falls, Ian Flemmings House, and a few other places; we stopped for lunch at a beautiful place overlooking the water, and finally back to the port area where we did some shopping. As far as the people trying to sell trinkets and such, they are all over the caribbean, I haven't been to a port in easter or western caribbean where that didn't happen.

We were on this cruise as well. This is a beautiful ship!!! We were in the corner aft cabin (1400) on the 10 deck which we absolutely loved and had a fantastic time on the cruise. Met up with several people from our Roll Call and had a great time together during the course of the vacation.

The service and the food was very good. The Wind Jammer is a buffet with tons of selections and we thought the food in the main dining room was delicious. If you go hungry, it's your own fault!!

Evening entertainment was superb. A couple shows were just like Broadway. The costumes, sets and talent were amazing. The illusionist they had on board was fabulous-not to be missed. Game shows -Love and Marriage, and the Quest were hilarious. The cruise director, Allen Brooks, was one of the best I've seen.

Had a wonderful time in the ports of call. Went with Peat Taylor in Jamaica and was very glad we did. He got us to Dunns River Falls early which can make a big difference. Talked to others who didn't get there until the afternoon and they said it was actually a little scary because it was very crowded by then. The venders there can really hassle you, but you just have to be tough and say no. Also went river tubing which was very fun.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a must. It is quite an experience and one that will never be forgotten. You are actually in waist deep water and can feed and hold the stingrays. (Very safe). Lots of tour operators out there, but we can recommend Stingray Sailing very highly. Loved the catamaran and the fact that they only took out 25 people. Very nice crew.

You will love this cruise. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

Rita

I have cabin 1400 next May! It will be my first corner aft balcony. Any pics would be appreciated.:D

Thanks so much for all of you that responded. I have been on Freedom before and done the western route many times, but still get excited to read uptodate reviews etc before I cruise again...get that excitement going....:)

Anyone that stayed in a suite that can speak to who the current concierge is, and your experience in the lounge...disappointed that Richard Spacey not the CD, but hopefully Alan is ok.....

I heard the menus' have changed since I was on her 6 months ago...? hope so, as I really wasn't impressed the last time with the food, but like some of you said, you will never go hungry, there is always something to delight the taste buds! Looking forward to some full reviews, and I will also do same when I get back.

I have cabin 1400 next May! It will be my first corner aft balcony. Any pics would be appreciated.:D

Gator, I can't load photos myself, but here is a link to Bonnie Voyager's pictures. They are of 1700 on FOS which is a mirror image of 1400. Bonnie is the guru for information on lots of cabins.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560549732pctdCj

We are planning on doing the Stingray City excursion and have a couple of questions. We are contemplating between Stingray City and Moby Dicks. How was the catamaran? Were there places to sit? We will have twin boys with us (ages 4) and a 7 year old girl as well as two teenage boys. I was concerned with the catamaran with the young kids. Also, do they pick you up and drop you back off at port? What about payment? Did you pay cash when you got there or by credit card? Any help would be appreciated...

Yes, there are benches to sit along the sides down in the boat itself. But you can also sit/lay on top. I think your children will be fine. There was a 7 year old on board and she spread her towel out and laid on top. Yes, they met us at the pier and took our group to a van that took us out to the boat (and back again). They asked for a $10 deposit per person when we booked. It was set up through PayPal and was very easy. We did not have (or need) our own account. Michelle sent all the information regarding the tour and how to make payment. We did not have to pay for the rest of the money until the day we went on the tour. They prefer cash, which was fine with us.

They are very good with children and those who might be a little timid. We had a man in a wheelchair with us and they were so helpful and accommodating. They got his wheelchair on board and then carried him on. Then they set him up with floatation devices and some type of swim chair so that he could go in the water. You could just tell the gentleman was so happy that he was able to take part in the tour.

It was a wonderful trip and I think you would have a great time.

We had Grand Suite 1552. Just called the concierge Willy per him. Believe first name was Wifredo. Went on a bridge tour with his invite, got us 7:30 res at Chops with one days notice and took us downstairs on tender day in GC and made sure we were off in time for our tour. Stingray Sailing folks were great.

After zipline tour (fun) in Ocho Rios we walked into town. No hassles at all. One guy asked if we wanted peanuts and that was it. Nobody asked for $ or tried to sell drugs, etc. Helped that there was a policeman walking the area. Now Cozumel was where every shop had someone out front pestering folks. We started at the Forum shops and as we were walking back we just had to cross the road and walk by the water to avoid them. Had a great lunch at Panchos. Always a nice place.

Ate at Chops twice with great food and service, thought pizza was poor and dining room food just ok. Service in dining room was good.

Ray

We had Grand Suite 1552. Just called the concierge Willy per him. Believe first name was Wifredo. Went on a bridge tour with his invite, got us 7:30 res at Chops with one days notice and took us downstairs on tender day in GC and made sure we were off in time for our tour. Stingray Sailing folks were great.

After zipline tour (fun) in Ocho Rios we walked into town. No hassles at all. One guy asked if we wanted peanuts and that was it. Nobody asked for $ or tried to sell drugs, etc. Helped that there was a policeman walking the area. Now Cozumel was where every shop had someone out front pestering folks. We started at the Forum shops and as we were walking back we just had to cross the road and walk by the water to avoid them. Had a great lunch at Panchos. Always a nice place.

Ate at Chops twice with great food and service, thought pizza was poor and dining room food just ok. Service in dining room was good.

Ray

Hi,

We are booked for August in a grand suite. Did you receive an email prior to sailing for Willy? I would also like to arrange a bridge tour did you just ask him?

Thanks,

Michele

Overall, a great cruise. Allan Brooks is a great CD. Love and Marriage was hilarious with an Irish Couple that had many "lost in translation" funny moments.

The windjammer food was lacking quality in my opinion and we didn't have a great server in the MDR, so that area was the weakness of the trip for me. But i won't complain too much because we had Ramen Noodles the night we got home!

Portofino's had a new menu. We ate there Wed. Very good food, good service, but the waitress changed my tip amount. I left 7$ and they made the 7 a 9. The manager was polite, but it wasn't the 2$ that concerned me, it was the principle and they didn't seemed concerned by it. So watch your reciepts, check your account on the TV and just make sure you aren't being taken advantage of.

We had a great stateroom attendant, Carlton from Jamaica. Always willing to do whatever and whenever to help out.

Great ship, great entertainment, okay food, great trip.

Michelle,

Yes I received an email from him shortly before the trip. It outlines concierge services, etc. Received an envelope invite for bridge tour but I would ask him anyway when you meet. He was helpful.

If you need more just ask. rj1472@gmail.com

Ray

Portofino's had a new menu. We ate there Wed. Very good food, good service, but the waitress changed my tip amount. I left 7$ and they made the 7 a 9. The manager was polite, but it wasn't the 2$ that concerned me, it was the principle and they didn't seemed concerned by it. So watch your reciepts, check your account on the TV and just make sure you aren't being taken advantage of.

Wow, that seems like a HUGE issue to me! I'd have changed it to zero if they pulled that BS on me.

We're just back today too. For us, Ocho Rios was our least favorite because of the way the locals harrassed us constantly to buy things. But we did Dunn's River Falls there, and THAT was amazing. Other than the tour guide harrassing people for tips afterwards and telling people that they didn't give him enough. :eek:

We enjoyed the cruise itself. The food in the dining room was overall very good. We had My Time Dining, and our servers were Hyde (pronounced Heidi) and Rodlee. They were wonderful. There was only one night that I did not like my entree, and nothing else on the menu appealed to me either. But everything else I had was great. Windjammer and Jade were okay, but we only really ate breakfast there. Sandwiches from Cafe Promenade were good, Sorrento's pizza was just okay. We didn't do any of the specialty restaurants.

Entertainment was pretty good. The cruise director, Allan Brooks, was hilarious! Our favorite show was definitely the ice show, but the singer/dancer productions were good too.

We had a balcony stateroom (# 8388) which was great. We really enjoyed our activities at every port of call as well.

customer service is like most companies, some are good, some are great, and some are lousy. call customer service for your satellite or cable at home and see what you get. Glad you had a great cruise. Remember how much fun you had and put the negative phone conversation behind you.

Archived