Dance hosts?

rxlowry

We met two of them on the Mariner during our April 7-17th 2010 cruise. They both told me that Regent would not have hosts after that cruise. They may use a male and female ballroom dancer to give lessons now.

I did not see photographers on board either.

I know that Crystal still has hosts.

The photographers have been gone for quite a while.

Currently there are gentlemen dance hosts aboard the WC [and very busy w. the solo female travelers] but it appears they are being phased out. Mark Conroy emphasized that all of these people utilize cabin space and Regent is a business that wants to collect 1200$ per diem on those cabins. I do wonder where this trimming or shaving away will stop. Lecturers? Clergy? Entertainers? Six star luxury cruising cannot be synonymous with bare bone cruising.

Paula: I assumed that the Regent entertainers (signature orchestra, dancers and singers) stayed in crew quarters. Do they stay in guest suites? The "headliner" type entertainers probably do stay in guest quarters. It would be surprising if guest lecturers were let go -- they are too much a part of the Regent experience. In terms of clergy, I do not recall that there were/are on board all of the time - just for specific religious holidays that occur during a cruise. What Mark Conroy said does make sense -- they need to have as many suites filled as possible (with paying guests).

The headliner entertainers, guest lecturers and guest chefs do stay in the lower category guest cabins. On longer cruises they are rotated in and out at different ports not always embarkation/disembarkation ports. It will be interesting to see how Regent handles these wonderful assets to our cruises.

The headliner entertainers, guest lecturers and guest chefs do stay in the lower category guest cabins. On longer cruises they are rotated in and out at different ports not always embarkation/disembarkation ports. It will be interesting to see how Regent handles these wonderful assets to our cruises.

Thanks for clarifying that! I have a feeling that headliner entertainers, guest lectures and chefs will remain a part of Regent. Gentlemen Hosts, while important while Regent was trying to fill suites and were offering enticing single supplements, seem to be history -- at least for now.

On the WC there are 3 clergymen [Catholic, Jewish & Protestant]. I am assuming that its being a WC is a major factor here. I have, on some other cruises, seen a priest and know that CD Jamie has conducted Christian services. Perhaps there are crew-need considerations. I certainly don't know the policy on this.

I agree with NCCQ and think that a few others may be added to that list as through the years I have seen them living in nearby cabins.

While Regent wishes to maximize income, I still maintain that six star luxury cruising cannot be bare bones cruising.

It is my belief that all the entertainers and lecturers are housed in cabins. We had a gentleman host across from us on Navigator a couple of years ago (in one of the window cabins.)

At least R is upfront about making money. On our last cruise, two of the dancers did ballroom classes, and the gentleman hosts were there to help out and provide partners, since women tend to dominate. It's not only single women who use these hosts! It is kind of a quaint practice, I guess.

It isn't a big deal as I can dance with my hubby. Making friends with the dance host was a fond memory of our cruise. We ate dinner with him a few times and went clubbing with him late one night in Bermuda! It was such a great time (even though he was old enough to be our grandfather...the man could dance up a storm and was so much fun!)

Singles are not 100% supplement on all cruises. There are a number of cruises offered at 50%. However, when we are used to 10% to 35% that is a still a big increase. It is disappointing to see Regent move in this direction. Certainly the singles program, including social hostess, dance hosts, and low supplements, has drawn a number of solo travelers to Regent. I understand that Regent's goal is to maximize income and make profits, but solos have helped fill cabins when the ships were not so full. A number of us who enjoy solo cruising will miss the now for all practical purposes defunct program.

Singles are not 100% supplement on all cruises. There are a number of cruises offered at 50%. However, when we are used to 10% to 35% that is a still a big increase. It is disappointing to see Regent move in this direction. Certainly the singles program, including social hostess, dance hosts, and low supplements, has drawn a number of solo travelers to Regent. I understand that Regent's goal is to maximize income and make profits, but solos have helped fill cabins when the ships were not so full. A number of us who enjoy solo cruising will miss the now for all practical purposes defunct program.

JoAnne: from what I understand, Regent is running so full that it no longer needs to discount single supplements. This is actually a good thing for Regent.

JoAnne: from what I understand, Regent is running so full that it no longer needs to discount single supplements. This is actually a good thing for Regent.

Yes, as it is also good for Regent to maximize revenues in other ways, like encouraging families to book by giving children a break on fares.

Yes, as it is also good for Regent to maximize revenues in other ways, like encouraging families to book by giving children a break on fares.

They are definitely not doing that. . . . in fact, you may have noticed that children fares are up this summer. For that reason, they do not expect as many childrens on the Alaska cruise this summer. Regent wants full suites (meaning two full paying people). It is good to see that this is what is happening. I do agree with JoAnne that it is hurting those who travel alone.

Oops, somehow this thread got off topic. . . . back to dance hosts:eek:

They are definitely not doing that. . . . in fact, you may have noticed that children fares are up this summer. For that reason, they do not expect as many childrens on the Alaska cruise this summer.

I don't mind getting back on topic, but you fail to mention that this year they are focusing on the Med and Baltics. Alaska specials back in 2011, along with the Med.

http://www.rssc.com/specials/details.aspx?SpecialId=a5241d59-1cc7-49d3-94cd-58e3c91c7da4

I don't mind getting back on topic, but you fail to mention that this year they are focusing on the Med and Baltics. Alaska specials back in 2011, along with the Med.

http://www.rssc.com/specials/details.aspx?SpecialId=a5241d59-1cc7-49d3-94cd-58e3c91c7da4

Not sure why I should have mentioned that -- I was using Alaska as an example. Regent did not do away with specials for children in 2010, however, they removed it from the website after they had booked to capacity. If 2011 is as active as 2010, the same thing will happen. My point, as it relates to revenue, is that children fares are up -- single supplement costs are up and Regent is running very full ships. All in all, this bodes well for Regent.

Regent did not do away with specials for children in 2010, however, they removed it from the website after they had booked to capacity.

Sheesh, where the heck do you think I got that link if not for their website????

I'm done.

My point, as it relates to revenue, is that children fares are up -- single supplement costs are up and Regent is running very full ships. All in all, this bodes well for Regent.

All this hoopla that Regent is making about how high their bookings are and how full their ships are going to be is pure marketing fluff, flummery as Nero Wolfe would say. At least in my opinion.

I was looking at a December Caribbean trip and was warned, of course, about the March 31st deadline at which time they would remove the "extra discount". Lo and behold the discount is still there, and is there for a number of cruises. AND...many of those cruises (Carib) in November, December 2010 and January 2010 have availability in ALL or most cabin classes. I saw only one waitlist and one GTY in the 6 or 7 cruises I checked.

Now let me try to make the point I tried to make before about the single supplement--it may be "good for Regent" to up most of them to 100% and leave a (very) few at 50%. Yes, it's good business all right. But it's darn a slap in the face to the loyal singles.

Wendy: The one thing we can't tell from Regent's "availability" listing is how many suites in each category are available. I tend to believe that most Regent itineraries are running fairly full. What cannot be predicted is how many cancellations there will be as the final payment deadline approaches. Our upcoming cruise was full in all categories below Penthouse and, as of last month, has about 30 suites available.

I could not agree more about the warnings from Regent that prices are going up. . . . then, even though they do go up on some popular cruises, the majority seem to stay at the same price.

P.S. JHP -- guess you missed my point. Your link went to "specials" in the Baltics, etc. -- not Alaska. This is because they were removed from the website. You mentioned that the "specials" this year were targeting places other than Alaska. Mine was that they sold out in 2010 -- however, the specials were there earlier in the year.

TC, I see your point, but I find it hard to believe that there are only a few cabins available in each category, i.e. that bookings would be that uniform. I'd expect to see lower categories closed, waitlisted or GTY and a smattering of PH categories closed as well. That's not what I'm seeing.

Archived