Traveling with unrelated 19 year old

I have never agreed to bring along friends on a family vacation before but I am finally allowing my daughter to bring her boyfriend with us on our Freedom of the Seas cruise this July. Since they are in college and he has been around for awhile I figure we should start including him:) I am pretty sure since he will be 19 years old at time of sailing that he would be considered an adult and I don't need any documentation from his parents. Is this accurate? Seems like once they are over 18 they allow them to be an adult in every way except they don't let them drink. Thanks in advance. I don't want any surprises and it seems like you all are more informed the RCI customer service!

Lisa

I suggest reading this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=729959&highlight=kicked

Most important this post:

I was put off a ship in St. Maarten in January 2006. We were aboard RCI Radiance of the Seas.....to make a really long story shorter, my 19 yr old son brought a friend along on this cruise who was also 19 and we had known him for 10 yrs. Turns out you never really know someone until you are with them 24/7. He was , evidently, on medication for ADD and a few other things and had decided not to take it ( I had no prior knowledge of his conditions) as a result of him trying to jump off the back of the ship we were put off to find our own way home. $3500.00 later we had a flight booked from St. Maarten to Miami then another $1500.00 later we had our flight booked home to St. Louis. I in no way blame RCI for putting us off...it was the right thing to do, although I was freaking out trying to figure out how we would get back to the states, RCI was very helpful in making the travel arrangements. Moral to this story is to never take responsibility for anyone elses child, and if you do make sure you ask the right questions about medical conditions/ medications. As a result of this situation I am not longer able to travel on RCI with a minor in my custody. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.....Incidently, I do realize that ADD does not cause most people to react this way , but this kid had more problems than just that.

###

I suggest re/ading this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=729959&highlight=kicked

Most important this post:

###

Good grief!!!!!!! And this didn't happen to you but you read it somewhere and needed to post it here.

OP, as others have said, an 18 year old is enough to cruise with you with out his parents consent.

Good grief!!!!!!! And this didn't happen to you but you read it somewhere and needed to post it here.

OP, as others have said, an 18 year old is enough to cruise with you with out his parents consent.

Good gosh, if you looked at the link you would see that it came from a fellow Cruise Critic member.

Did you read the entire thread? If not, please do.

ETA: Yes, an 18 YO is ok to cruise without consent however if that 18 or 19 YO does damage the adult on record is responsible for their actions.

###

One thing to consider... You can only insure a relative. The other person will need their own cruise insurance.

Why do you say that:confused: I booked my son and his GF on a cruise last year and bought them insurance - both on the same policy

And Toonjie - how are you???? How is that adorable baby of yours? :D

Two years ago, we took our son (then 19) and his best friend (also 19) with us on a Mariner cruise. We booked a separate inside cabin for them across the hall from our cabin (not directly across - a few doors down).

The boy is our son's best friend and we have known him since they were in 8th grade - we've taken him with us on many land vacations.

We had no parental approval letter and we did not need any.

The boys had a great time and so did we - no problems at all. The key is knowing the person you are taking with you.

Please read my post, we had this issue a few weeks ago, almost ruined our trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1187038&highlight=notarized

You brought a minor, a notarized letter is needed for a minor. The OP is bringing a 19 yr old who is legally an adult. They do not need parental permission. They should make sure that the boyfriend brings his medical card with him though.

I am pretty sure since he will be 19 years old at time of sailing that he would be considered an adult and I don't need any documentation from his parents. Is this accurate? Seems like once they are over 18 they allow them to be an adult in every way except they don't let them drink.

Lisa

I'm sorry because I know this isn't what you're hoping to hear, but no, that is not correct. He would not be considered an adult until he turns 21. You would be responsible for him the entire time. Go to the Royal Caribbean website and type "Guest Conduct Policy" into the Search. It states under Parental and Guardian Responsibility:

"For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a Minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A Young Adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19, and 20. Parents and Guardians are responsible for the behavior and proper supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obiligation applies during transfers to and from ship, inside terminals, while onboard, at all ports of call, during shore excursions, and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents or guardians are physically in the presense of their minor(s) and young adult(s)."

I don't know if you would need to bring something from his parents or not. However, I don't think there is any way for you to waive the responsibility. It states in their policies that you have to be at least 21 in order to book your own cruise. Therefore, he can't book a stateroom in his own name and be solely responsible for himself. I would contact RCI and talk to them. You'll obviously need to decide if you are willing to take responsibility for him since you could possibly be held legally and financially responsibile for anything he might do. That is a big responsibility. But I also know it would be a very tough situation to now tell your daughter you don't want to do this if you have already agreed to do it. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Why do you say that:confused: I booked my son and his GF on a cruise last year and bought them insurance - both on the same policy

And Toonjie - how are you???? How is that adorable baby of yours? :D

Hi, great, thanks! Baby is getting big, as you can see from the avatar. We all went on the Monarch at Christmas and he had a blast. Heading down to San Juan in a few weeks-just grandma and me, no kids. Oh, and new one on the way! :)

I'm sorry because I know this isn't what you're hoping to hear, but no, that is not correct. He would not be considered an adult until he turns 21. You would be responsible for him the entire time. Go to the Royal Caribbean website and type "Guest Conduct Policy" into the Search. It states under Parental and Guardian Responsibility:

"For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a Minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. A Young Adult is defined as anyone ages 18, 19, and 20. Parents and Guardians are responsible for the behavior and proper supervision of their accompanying minor(s) and young adult(s) throughout their vacation. This obiligation applies during transfers to and from ship, inside terminals, while onboard, at all ports of call, during shore excursions, and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents or guardians are physically in the presense of their minor(s) and young adult(s)."

I don't know if you would need to bring something from his parents or not. However, I don't think there is any way for you to waive the responsibility. It states in their policies that you have to be at least 21 in order to book your own cruise. Therefore, he can't book a stateroom in his own name and be solely responsible for himself. I would contact RCI and talk to them. You'll obviously need to decide if you are willing to take responsibility for him since you could possibly be held legally and financially responsibile for anything he might do. That is a big responsibility. But I also know it would be a very tough situation to now tell your daughter you don't want to do this if you have already agreed to do it. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

While your information is good and should be understood by the OP, it doesn't change the fact that the BF is over 18 and therefore does not need parental permission to go on the cruise.

Why is it that the OP asked a simple question these people come out and start posting pure junk & links that really have nothing to do with the question.

In this case, they try to turn the girls boyfriend into some sort of delinquent criminal and eveyone needs to be warned of his actions.

While your information is good and should be understood by the OP, it doesn't change the fact that the BF is over 18 and therefore does not need parental permission to go on the cruise.

I just didn't want her to think that because he is 18 and considered an adult in the United States that it relieves her of any responsibility for him while on the cruise. I think a lot of people could take the fact that the person is 18 and leap to the conclusion that the person is therefore responsible for themselves. But according to RCI that isn't the case. In the cruiseline's eyes, she would be both legally and financially responsible for him.

Yes, it's true that the parents are responsible for the behavior of the 19 year old daughter and BF but there is no parental permission letter needed.

As far as being permitted to book the separate room - we did it 2 years ago with no problem through a TA so I cannot address how it was done. I can just tell you that we sailed on the Mariner and the 19 yr old boys had their own cabin. We were responsible for their behavior but they did not get into any trouble, no police had to be called and they were not thrown off the ship - lol.

Why is it that the OP asked a simple question these people come out and start posting pure junk & links that really have nothing to do with the question.

In this case, they try to turn the girls boyfriend into some sort of delinquent criminal and eveyone needs to be warned of his actions.

I think everyone is just trying to help her think of the different aspects of the situation. No one is saying anything bad about her daughter's boyfriend. We don't know him, how could we say anything bad about him? I would assume if he were "some sort of criminal delinquent" she wouldn't even be considering taking him on the cruise. I think it is a very nice gesture that she is inviting him to come along.

Thanks all for the answers. I am not too worried about his behavior as he is a really good kid (a Pre-med major, 4.0 average kinda kid). Also, my husband was his middle school principal and he is still very scared of him. :) You never know though, so we will talk about the insurance with his parents as we are considering it for our own kids. I did not think about his medical cards--I will be sure he brings them--I am a little worried about a Flowrider injury! I have him in a cabin with my mother and my son as we won't allow him to share with my daughter-- ( It is silly--they have coed dorms now at college but I don't want to see it-- know what I mean.) Mom will keep tabs on him!

I am the person who had that unfortunate situation happen to me.....it was a nightmare and I completely support anyone sharing that info on this board or anywhere else for that matter. I do not want what happened to us ever happen to anyone.

I just didn't want her to think that because he is 18 and considered an adult in the United States that it relieves her of any responsibility for him while on the cruise. I think a lot of people could take the fact that the person is 18 and leap to the conclusion that the person is therefore responsible for themselves. But according to RCI that isn't the case. In the cruiseline's eyes, she would be both legally and financially responsible for him.

My situation happened in 2006 so things may have changed...I'm not sure as I am no longer allowed to take a minor on a cruise with RCI....But in my case even though the kid was 19 I still had to be put off the ship with him as I was considered his guardian in the eyes of the cruiseline.

I don't think everyone will have the same issues I did and I don't discourage people from bringing a childs friend along I just try to warn people to please make sure they know of any medical conditions whether they be physical or mental.....Krammer was a kid my son grew up with and I had known for 10 yrs but I did not know he took medication daily for ADD and Epilepsy and no one in his family bothered to inform me that THEY had to constantly remind him to take it.

Archived