They asked for the parent consent letter!

I know that this question comes up regularly as to whether or not the checkers-in require a letter of consent from an absent parent. Well, at departure on Monday, 4/19/10, for the Grandeur out of Pt. Everglades the woman in the line next to me was on the phone with the other parent requesting a letter be faxed ASAP. She was with several children and her parents and was quite upset at RCCL because she hadn't read the cruise docs.

So, just in case, get the letter!

I was through in 5 minutes and don't know the outcome. I do hope she made it.

I know that this question comes up regularly as to whether or not the checkers-in require a letter of consent from an absent parent. Well, at departure on Monday, 4/19/10, for the Grandeur out of Pt. Everglades the woman in the line next to me was on the phone with the other parent requesting a letter be faxed ASAP. She was with several children and her parents and was quite upset at RCCL because she hadn't read the cruise docs.

So, just in case, get the letter!

I agree, definitely better to be prepared!!!

I was through in 5 minutes and don't know the outcome. I do hope she made it.

My husband, 2 daughters(both from previous marriages, husband one and me one) sailed on DCL Wonder back in 2004. In the cruise docs that were sent to us was a form to be filled out by the absent parent AND notorized. Our ex's took care of this for us and we were prepared to hand the forms over at check-in. They never asked for it, but we were prepared.

I just got back from the Liberty of the Seas from the 4/18/10 sailing and although I was not asked for the consent letter from my daughter's father, I did have it and I would never take the chance of not having it.

I've always had the notarized document from my ex for every cruise with DD since 2002. This was the only time they ever asked for it. As a matter of fact, she glanced at our passports and the first thing our of her mouth was "Do you have permission to travel?" I was a little taken aback, and a bit confused by the choice of words. I dug out the document and handed it over. She studied it carefully, and then asked for the set sail pass paperwork.

My guess is that they have stepped up enforcement since the widely publicized Brazillian custody case.

What if the other parent is deceased? Do I need to now carry my daughters' father's death certificate with me to the port?

Yes, there is a woman who posts on the family forum who has been asked to show the death certificate before. I would bring it with you to be safe.

I had one for my granddaughters and was all set to present it when boarding. They didn't ask for it. :confused: We went on our cruise, had a marvellous time and made lots of memories. When we were packing on the last night of the cruise, I had the letter and thought we were done with it and put it in my checked luggage that was to be picked up outside our cabin. Imagine my surprize when Customs and Immigration asked for it while we were disembarking! :eek: When they asked for it, I pointed to the sea of black suitcases and said it was over there.....somewhere. That's when they took our granddaughters aside and started asking all sorts of questions, us too. Then they compared the responses and determined that we were indeed Gramma and Grampa and let us go.

RCI's web site doesn't mention anything about absent parent authorization. As a matter of fact, it even states that a minor traveling with adults that aren't their parents just need a notarized letter from ONE of that child's parents....it's bizarre that they require authorization from both parents of their own children, but if a child is traveling with others, you would just need one parent's consent

Here's all they mention under "Family Legal Documents":

"Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child."

My husband, 2 daughters(both from previous marriages, husband one and me one) sailed on DCL Wonder back in 2004. In the cruise docs that were sent to us was a form to be filled out by the absent parent AND notorized. Our ex's took care of this for us and we were prepared to hand the forms over at check-in. They never asked for it, but we were prepared.

Better safe than sorry!

I took my niece and nephew to Alaska last summer. I was armed and ready with the parental consents but the checker never asked for it. Different last name, no male present (just me and the kids) and no letter was required. Now if we didn't have it in hand, they would've required the letter, fingerprints, a blood sample...

Better safe than sorry. And it always helps to read the documents the cruise line sends. Although voluminous, it can save you a multitude of headaches! Sorry this lady had to learn the hard way.

A little off topic, but on the cruise I just returned from, I had to show my marriage license for the first time ever (I used my BC and DL instead of a passport). I always bring it, but this is the first time they ever asked to see it.

This could be an issue for us. One of our friends does not know where her sons father is...she has not seen nor heard from him in about 5 years...there is no formal custody agreement through the courts as they were never married...what can she bring?

A little off topic, but on the cruise I just returned from, I had to show my marriage license for the first time ever (I used my BC and DL instead of a passport). I always bring it, but this is the first time they ever asked to see it.

I had to show my marriage license once at Port Canaveral after the cruise when going through Customs/Immigration, as the bridge document connecting my BC with my DL.

This could be an issue for us. One of our friends does not know where her sons father is...she has not seen nor heard from him in about 5 years...there is no formal custody agreement through the courts as they were never married...what can she bring?

Is her name different than her child? In Missouri (my state) they will not automatically give kid the father's name. It looks like you are not going until October. She may need to see a lawyer on this and formally do something about his abandonment so that she does not have any issues.

I had one for my granddaughters and was all set to present it when boarding. They didn't ask for it. :confused: We went on our cruise, had a marvellous time and made lots of memories. When we were packing on the last night of the cruise, I had the letter and thought we were done with it and put it in my checked luggage that was to be picked up outside our cabin. Imagine my surprize when Customs and Immigration asked for it while we were disembarking! :eek: When they asked for it, I pointed to the sea of black suitcases and said it was over there.....somewhere. That's when they took our granddaughters aside and started asking all sorts of questions, us too. Then they compared the responses and determined that we were indeed Gramma and Grampa and let us go.

This happened to us coming out of Italy. Not one word leaving the USA but I thought they were going to keep us in Italy. I had to get my bag back after checking it with the pernissions for my granddaughter. You never know!

My daughter went to the clerk of court and signed some forms for passports and travel documents. She hasn't seen her ex in 14 years, he left a great job and the country so he wouldn't have to pay child support. Getting things taken care of was easier than she thought. Suggest she call her local town hall or the court house and explain, they should help.

I would also encourage her to get that worked out in case something happens to her or he randomly shows up one day. This way she can have things worked out for who would take care of him, etc. instead of having the courts figure it out. A trusts & estates or family lawyer can help with this. It usually takes a lot to take custody from the mother, but having something formal would really be of benefit to her and her son.

Remember, leaving the country, you are being checked in by the ships staff, not immigration. They may check your passport, but they are not customs and immigration! Getting off the ship, and entering into the US, you are going through customs. That will be the place where you will and should have all your paperwork in order. The check in process, just is to verify you have everything etc, to insure you won't have issues, however, they can overlook things!!!

I have always had the travel letter. Due to the different last names. Never needed it.

However over the years I have seen people post on here asking if they were necessary and many replied you won't need it

and thinking that was not good advice.

My theory is "Better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it"

Check out the family board. There was a recent thread about what to do when the father is no where to be found.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1161970

Archived