Ship Excursions vs. On Your Own

blanquita79

Are there any ship excursions that are a must, as opposed to doing the excursion on your own? We typically like to do stuff on our own, but I know some places have special excursions that can only be done through the ship (like Atlantis in the Bahamas).

Any thoughts help, I'm just starting to do my research.

Thanks!!

There is absolutely no need to use ship-sponsored excursions in Bermuda. There is excellent and relatively inexpensive mass transit available on the bus and ferry systems, and taxis are also readily available. Taxi drivers that display a blue flag on their vehicles are certified tour guides, and if you wish you can hire them for a multi hour tour.

not only can you do most things on your own, but you will most likely save money that way. most tour operators have websites. bermuda.com has plenty of tour information and llinks directly to operator websites.

We did the Famous Homes and Hideaways cruise. I dont think it is something you can do without the ship excursion. You cruise along the shoreline and see historic colonial homes and an exclusive neighborhood known as "Millionaire's Row" with homes of the rich and famous.

It was one of the few ship excursions we have taken. Its a good one if you need to cover a broad age span. It kept everyone in our party interested, we aged from 15 to 75.

I contacted the fantasea folks directly (for the snorkel/catamaran excursion) and was told they charge the same price as the ship + they pick you up at the pier. I will use public transport and well as the ship's excursions.

Are there any ship excursions that are a must, as opposed to doing the excursion on your own? We typically like to do stuff on our own, but I know some places have special excursions that can only be done through the ship (like Atlantis in the Bahamas).

Any thoughts help, I'm just starting to do my research.

Thanks!!

The only thing I would warn you about is that if you are off on your own on the last day you are in port and you are delayed getting back to the ship, you may be left behind, whereas if you are on a ship-sponsored shore excursion, the ship will wait for the group's return - I hope!

• 1 month later...

Archived