Just come off Eclipse, 2 nighter naming ceremony

Garyorient

Stating the obvious, ship is virtually identical to the Equinox.

this is, in fact a good thing, as the Equi is a stunning ship.

I had the pleasant opportunity to witness the naming ceremony, which is, in itself quite an emotional event.

Food was up to the usual Celebrity Standard, and I actually ate in the Tuscan grill on the second night. Service, attention to detail and food quality was first rate.

I was in a C1 balcony cabin grade. Was OK, but in terms of space could not really go overboard about it, although I do love the shower.

The fact t hat all the food/drink and extras were complimentary does not alter my perspective. I enjoyed myself and wouldcertainly go on any of the Solstice ships in a heart beat

I am sorry.

I would be more than happy to assist, but things such as officers, musical groups on board are not something that I ever interest myself in even when I am a paying customer.

I do appreciate that some people are interested in this side of cruising, but regretably I am not one of them. Sorry!!

I had the pleasant opportunity to witness the naming ceremony, which is, in itself quite an emotional event.

Food was up to the usual Celebrity Standard, and I actually ate in the Tuscan grill on the second night. Service, attention to detail and food quality was first rate.

I was in a C1 balcony cabin grade. Was OK, but in terms of space could not really go overboard about it, although I do love the shower.

The fact t hat all the food/drink and extras were complimentary does not alter my perspective. I enjoyed myself and wouldcertainly go on any of the Solstice ships in a heart beat

Hi, Pleased to hear that you feli it was upto the usual Celebrity standards. Was your C1 cabin an AFT cabin??, we are booked in a C1 Aft on deck 11 and someone told us that the balcony was very small, nothing like the larger balconies you normally get on other Celebrity Class ships and indeed on other Cruise Lines. Appreciate your thoughts!!!

A couple of questions for you

1) was there a cruise critic " get together " on this naming ceremony cruise?

( there was one last year on the Equinox naming ceremony cruise)

2) how many non-media invited guests ( assume regular cruising guests) did Celebrity actually ask to attend...a rough number (if you know) would do ?

Thanks.

Hi, Pleased to hear that you feli it was upto the usual Celebrity standards. Was your C1 cabin an AFT cabin??, we are booked in a C1 Aft on deck 11 and someone told us that the balcony was very small, nothing like the larger balconies you normally get on other Celebrity Class ships and indeed on other Cruise Lines. Appreciate your thoughts!!!

Here is the best pic of aft balconies - you can clearly see those which are wider, not deeper. This is from Solstice - some one did say that the room numbers are different on Eclipse so you may need to check location.

genericEQaft-vi.jpg

A couple of questions for you

1) was there a cruise critic " get together " on this naming ceremony cruise?

( there was one last year on the Equinox naming ceremony cruise)

2) how many non-media invited guests ( assume regular cruising guests) did Celebrity actually ask to attend...a rough number (if you know) would do ?

Thanks.

I remember you were wearing a wonderful necklace last year! I wasn't invited this year either. I think the numbers were way down.:(

Here is the best pic of aft balconies - you can clearly see those which are wider, not deeper. This is from Solstice - some one did say that the room numbers are different on Eclipse so you may need to check location.

genericEQaft-vi.jpg

I remember you were wearing a wonderful necklace last year! I wasn't invited this year either. I think the numbers were way down.:(

I can't believe you remembered that from last year's event... I'm astounded but delighted you thought it was nice, thank you! I always enjoy your information Albert Ross... if I had known who you were on board Equinox I would have made myself known to tell you in person!

I haven' t heard much on CC about the naming ceremony from those who were chosen this time.. and wondered if anyone at all apart from media had been invited ???

BTW ..the necklace ( and earrings ) will be on holiday again in a couple of weeks on the QV...the prices on Celebrity are becoming just too high for our budget along with our air travel costs so we're trying out other lines. Sad..but needs must.

genericEQaft-vi.jpg

Wow, most of those balconies look quite exposed. Looks like virtually no shade at all. I think I'll stick with a balcony on the side.

OK Trying to answer as many questions as I can...........apologies if I miss any out.

My cabin was 1120 (Aft I believe). Was actually not overly impressed size wise, but I'm newver a "Cabin obsessive" as I only shower and sleep there. Was on my own so never had an issue of encroching on each others space but feel we might have done given the cabin size.

There was an interesting balance of people invited including the following:-

Travel industry people (Agents etc)

Media/freeloaders (Far too many of them as witnessed by the dark glasses and all to obvious hang overs on Sunday)

People linked to the Charity from Equinox' Godmother (Nina Baroch). She was there to "hand over" scissors to the Godmother of the Eclipse. As an aside, she is an absolutely charming lady who always finds time to talk to anyone about her Walk the Walk Moonlight Ealk charity.

There were also a lot of people from various other organisations (for example a group of people from a South Wales all of whom had lost young children to cancer and the children had spent their last days in a particular hospice.

Fair play to Celebrity.............although it is clearly a commercial venture (and there is nothing wrong with that), they appear to have a clear social conscience and I commend them for it.

OK Trying to answer as many questions as I can...........apologies if I miss any out.

My cabin was 1120 (Aft I believe). Was actually not overly impressed size wise, but I'm newver a "Cabin obsessive" as I only shower and sleep there. Was on my own so never had an issue of encroching on each others space but feel we might have done given the cabin size.

There was an interesting balance of people invited including the following:-

Travel industry people (Agents etc)

Media/freeloaders (Far too many of them as witnessed by the dark glasses and all to obvious hang overs on Sunday)

People linked to the Charity from Equinox' Godmother (Nina Baroch). She was there to "hand over" scissors to the Godmother of the Eclipse. As an aside, she is an absolutely charming lady who always finds time to talk to anyone about her Walk the Walk Moonlight Ealk charity.

There were also a lot of people from various other organisations (for example a group of people from a South Wales all of whom had lost young children to cancer and the children had spent their last days in a particular hospice.

Fair play to Celebrity.............although it is clearly a commercial venture (and there is nothing wrong with that), they appear to have a clear social conscience and I commend them for it.

Thanks for your answers.

Would you be able to post the names of any of the officers and musical groups on board?

Celebrity normally gathers the best and most experienced for the new ships.

Cannot help with officers names but the following perfomers were on board on the Eclipse on my recent sailing 26-29th April 2010.

* Inspiration strings - 4 ladies playing cello & violin's

* Jefferson Ang - Guitarist

* Daniel DeLorentis - Guitarist

* Oliver Holland - Piano & vocals

* Manny Kelough Jazz Band

* Frontliners - Party band

* Sound Decison - Male A Cappella Quartet

* Peter James - Pianist

Cannot help with officers names but the following perfomers were on board on the Eclipse on my recent sailing 26-29th April 2010.

* Peter James - Pianist

Was Peter James a Jazz pianist who also did a lot of Beatles (and related) material? We saw someone with a similar name on the Serenade of the Seas a couple of years ago, and he was a wonderful entertainer...great voice, great personality, great repertoire. He also hosted some great music trivia games.

* Peter James - Pianist

Thanks for the list. Jefferson Ang was great when he opened Solstice.

Gary,

Thanks for the report...

We are looking forward to sailing on her...We're on the July 10 sailing!

I'm glad I've got my "side" 1C cabin--near the elevator banks...I like the convenience...the only real reason I can see to walk clear to the end of the ship is for the larger balconies...If you don't get those, what's the point of an "aft"??

As to the question about the Cruise Critic Get-togethers, the answer I've always heard is that RCCL/X doesn't do them for sailings of shorter than 7 nights...which would include these short specials...

We were on the Mariner of the Seas "Pre-Inaugural" when they brough the ship to Los Angeles last year...and what we had to do was to organize our own Cruise Critic get together here on these boards...We DID get cooperation from the cruise line by calling all the right people...and we even got Adam Goldstein, the President and CEO of RCI to attend (obviously, he was onboard for the festivities) and he took an hour out of his time to mingle and talk with us!!!

But, for future reference, when getting invited to these in the future, just make sure to set up your own get-together here...you just need to have an idea of the schedule...

or anyone else who has been on her:

Kettles in the rooms but how are they handling the mugs, milk, tea & coffee? Are they those ghastly paper mugs like on RCI and longlife milk and wooden stirers - or it is a bit classier?!

Nice kettle, proper spoons, nice glass mugs, all on a tray with your tea/sugars, no coffee though but sachets at breakfast in the Oceanview cafe.

The milk is however the little longlife pots. They have small cartons of fresh milk at breakfast you can take back to room and pop in the fridge :)

This link will take you to a couple of my pic's of the trays in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/110472035631764283714/CelebrityEclipseInRoomFacilities#

We are having a discussion of the hump balcony cabins and the "X" on another thread. I was looking for confirmation (or not) that the "X" is on the hump cabins on the Equinox. I know its on the Solstice, and pictures I have seen indicate that it is on the Eclipse. Any info ? Thanks!

mac_tlc

No X on Equinox--using the glass on the verandahs--as there is on Solstice... And though I don't know for sure yet, I suspect that there is no X on Eclipse either; it was not particularly popular with folks in those staterooms...

It is possible that you've seen an early rendering of Eclipse based upon a photo of Solstice...

Nice kettle, proper spoons, nice glass mugs, all on a tray with your tea/sugars, no coffee though but sachets at breakfast in the Oceanview cafe.

The milk is however the little longlife pots. They have small cartons of fresh milk at breakfast you can take back to room and pop in the fridge :)

This link will take you to a couple of my pic's of the trays in the room.

#

Thanks G-B - far nicer!

Archived