Power Boards

Hi Everyone

I was reading a post on another board and it reports that Carnival have banned passengers from taking their own power boards due to safety concerns. Apparently they are being confiscated on embarkation:(.

Does anyone know if this requirement is being imposed on P & O Aust ships? From what I've read there is only one power outlet per cabin so if it applies to us then it will be fairly inconvenient.

Jenny

YES you can take power boards on P&O dawn,sun and jewel, AS we have done many times in the past, we even take our GPS and ploter with us, came in very handy on our two nz cruises 2010 and 2009.

Yes thats been the case up to now but the posters on the Carnival board say that this is a new restriction just imposed this week.

Jenny

ok in that case then P&O will want to hire power boards out as well.

Depends if the issue is certification or people overloading them. I suspect the latter, in which case hiring is not a reasonable alternative either.

Depends if the issue is certification or people overloading them. I suspect the latter, in which case hiring is not a reasonable alternative either.

I am sure thats the case, thats why they ban irons in the cabins as they are big drain on the power supply.

we have never needed a power board on any ship. You don't normally need to charge everything every day. We just charge one thing in the morning, one in the afternoon and so one until we cycle them all around. Never been a problem. mummsie :)

we have never needed a power board on any ship. You don't normally need to charge everything every day. We just charge one thing in the morning, one in the afternoon and so one until we cycle them all around. Never been a problem. mummsie :)

Yes that's the case when travelling with a family .. but when you have four singles in a cabin, there are four phones, cameras, etc etc :cool:

We had 5 cameras between the three of us. Four of them needed charging after every port. The batteries for my SLR take 5 hours to charge, and I have two (as does my bf)...two rechargers for flash batteries on Noumea and Island night...plus we had my iPod dock and laptop for dumping photos on - we really did need the extra points.

We didn't use it all that much other than on the first night and when we went into port.

I'd have been upset if we couldn't get our photography done because of a lack of powerpoints.

Hadn't thought of that Topaz_M.

I can imagine it would be a problem with four adults trying to get things like cameras phones etc charged up.

I wonder if there is an alternative the ships can offer?

Jillybean:)

I used a double adaptor once but it would get quite warm. So no go there.

It depends on the ship, sometimes you can find an extra point behind the bed or on Princess under the mirror shelf (shhhhhh ;) ).

Just don't tell my cabin mates ... lol

I was going to pack a double adaptor for our cruise on the Dawn Princess, has anyone used one on this ship ie does it get warm, or should I pack a powerboard?

IsaJack

I have used both double adaptor and a small power board and never had a problem with over heating, my husband needs a sleep apnier machine plugged in all night while my camera and video camera need to be charged at night as well ,all been good!

I have used both double adaptor and a small power board and never had a problem with over heating, my husband needs a sleep apnier machine plugged in all night while my camera and video camera need to be charged at night as well ,all been good!

Many thanks robinph, will most likely just take dbl adaptor.:)

I think as long as you are charging things that do not have a big drain on the electrical supply you will be OK.

As mentioned before irons are banned , and they dont like you using a hair dryer, thats why a lot of ships have built in ones.

We tend to forget that a cruise ship generates all its own power.

In fact ships are in reality floating Power Stations , and as such can direct the power to where it is needed at any one time.

For example when the galley is operating full bore, more power will be sent there,

when all the stage lights are on for a show , power will be sent there, and so on.

Unless people are plugging in smuggled irons, fans and hair dryers there is little chance of four phone/camera battery rechargers tripping the circuits. These things use minimal power (all four at once use less power than the TV does)

Which brings me to the other electrickery source in the cabin, the TV. If in need unplug the TV and use that point while you sleep :)

I believe the reason for removing the boards may be safety from electric shock. The serviceability of your own power boards cannot readily be checked by the cruise line, so instead they ban them. Very hard to argue against that logic.

Have been on P&O 3 times and each time we have taken a power

board, the one with a switch for each point and also a built in trip reset button. We usually use all power points, charge the walki talki, the computer, iPhone, the camera and video battery. The list goes on but I won't power board........ Great invention, and a must have at sea.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived