Bangkok

gunner22a

Has anyone heard if the unrest in Bangkok has caused any interuptions or cancellations of visits there by the cruiselines? The wife and I are scheduled to end our upcoming cruise there and she is getting a tad nervous about it since External Affairs here in Canada has now listed it as "Essential Travel" only recommended.

Has anyone heard if the unrest in Bangkok has caused any interuptions or cancellations of visits there by the cruiselines? The wife and I are scheduled to end our upcoming cruise there and she is getting a tad nervous about it since External Affairs here in Canada has now listed it as "Essential Travel" only recommended.

I sure hate to hear that, since Bangkok was the highlight of our cruise. I have communicated with our tour guide, Tong, since the riots started. She is still doing tours, but she is quite saddened with all of the events going on. I hope that it settles down so you can visit this beautiful city.

I sure hate to hear that, since Bangkok was the highlight of our cruise. I have communicated with our tour guide, Tong, since the riots started. She is still doing tours, but she is quite saddened with all of the events going on. I hope that it settles down so you can visit this beautiful city.

What is going on is an inconvenience to tourists, but strikes at the heart of the serious issue of the nature of the Thai people's relationship to their government - just that.

To the OP, I suspect if the port becomes too uncertain, arrangements will made to disembark at an alternate port.

The situation in Thailand is fluid. Right now, it is not ideal to visit. In fact tourism is way off and I understand a number of hotels and stores have been closed. It cannot be ruled out that things will get worse. Google Bangkok, redshirts and you will see what I mean.

Did you book your own air?

Yes. Booked own business class air but I have checked the insurance policy. If the ship changes its itinerary I am covered thankfully!

There is a relief.

We have friends that just returned from Bangkok where they stayed at private accommodations. They said tourism in Bangkok is pretty much a wash, but they were able to get out to the floating market.

This whole issue with finding a bomb is worrying.

They felt the situation was dangerous.

You know the old saying - hope for the best but expect the worst. With business class air would you even need insurance?

Smooth sailing...

A lot of business class airfares have penalties. When you see an extremely good business class fare, it probably has penalties and, no. it doesn't necessarily mean it came from a consolidator. The airlines usually have special business class fares, some with lengthy advance purchases, and those have penalties.

A lot of business class airfares have penalties. When you see an extremely good business class fare, it probably has penalties and, no. it doesn't necessarily mean it came from a consolidator. The airlines usually have special business class fares, some with lengthy advance purchases, and those have penalties.

Another reason to read the fine print.

We were on the Diamond which ended its cruise in Bangkok right after the protests had turned violent. The captain and Princess Headquarters monitored the situation and gave updates to the passengers.

On the day before we arrived, notice was given that the hotels for the Princess post cruise excursion were being changed since they were in the area that had been closed off.

We had made our own arrangements and we emailed both our hotel and tour company to confirm that we would not be in the area of the protesters. We were there for the 2 days the protesters had taken a break to regroup - also the Thai New Year.

Some passengers disembarked in Singapore, our port prior to Bangkok.

We were fortunate to be able to visit safely because Bangkok was also a highlight of our trip, even though the city was very "closed down", due to both the unrest and the holiday

Unfortunately the situation seems to be less contained and potentially more dangerous now.

It is very sad for those who depend on tourism. Our guide said they have suffered since other protesters closed the airport in 2008.

I think we were on the same cruise as CarolC.

We left Bangkok on Wed 21 April after spending 4 days there after 4 days in Pattaya. Our stay in Bangkok was not effected in anyway by the Red Shirts. We stayed at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel, which, as it turned out, was about 500 metres from where the Red Shirts HQ was. We walked down there one night and there were more vendors and tourists there than Red Shirts. BUT, the trouble did not occur there......it was in the central business area, which was a fair way from we were. Local taxi drivers and guides know where the trouble areas are and will steer you away from there.

At no time did we feel threatened or in danger whilst we were there.

BTW, the area where the Baiyoke Sky is situated is a great area for shopping.

Fletch1.

Archived