Pinnacle Grill

dwilliamson

And so would the alternative dining onboard the X ships! First class! I would not book a dinner in the PG unless it was a gift! Apparantly, the "domed" carts containing all the steaks for viewing and selection have been eliminated as well as the (former) posting of the PG menu outside the entrance to the PG!:mad:

I know...we were originally booked on Celebrity for our September cruise, and one of the things I was looking forward to most was the S.S. United States. I was really disappointed, after we had to book HAL instead, in the Pinnacle Grill. It just looks like a normal steakhouse. Not very tempting, especially for vegetarians like us. (The HAL cruise is better for us in every other way, though, so we're still really happy about the change in cruise lines, even if we're not happy about why it happened.)

:confused:

Lonnie, how do you know this information and why do "they" only allow so many people to dine there each evening?

A few times we tried to make reservations and were told "sorry -- all filled up for the evening". Yes when when we walked by there were tons of empty tables. So I made a point of asking on different ships why they can not use all the tables a couple of times during the evening. And the response I got was that they only have so many servers (and yet we have seen servers standing around on some nights) and thus can only acommondate only a set number of people -- I was never told the exate number they actually handle on a completely "filled" night. I asked the Pinnacle mangers.

Thanks for the insight from your perspective, G&G. :) Don't suppose anyone knows what nights are "busy" nights for the Pinnacle? Like formal nights or days out at sea?

More and more the night of the "Master Chef's Dinner" is a big one at the PG as those who wish to avoid this ahh... "spectacle" :rolleyes: flock there for their evening meal.

We made two before we left by calling ships services and were able to get the time and date we wanted, however, once we were on the Veendam no other reservations could be made. I was told that there was a very long waiting list and I think it may be that the Veendam now has extra passengers due to the addition of the bacony cabins on the Navigation deck. Also, many travel agents give a Pinnacle dinner as a perk, so many more people were interested in booking. A gentleman we met said that HAL had given him a Pinnacle res for some reason and he was unable to use it because no reservations were available. The maitre-d told us that the Pinnacle was the busiest it had ever been. Ususally they serve 40-45 pax per night, but were up to 60 or more per night on our cruise (April 25 - Bermuda)

K

Formal nights, in my experience, tended to be the busiest at PG. I never understood that because I think those are also the same nights with the best menus in the main dining room. So we never go to PG on formal nights.

Agreed - get aboard, find out from the first Daily Program which nights will be formal, and then book the PG for other nights. And book a few nights out and you shouldn't have a problem.

The Canaletto is actually separated from the Lido on the Noordam by movable partitions that are put up each evening. The waiters on this past cruise were superb (dressed in Italian shirts) and the food is very good and the portions are astronomical! We heard experienced diners asking for half portions!

Agreed - get aboard, find out from the first Daily Program which nights will be formal, and then book the PG for other nights. And book a few nights out and you shouldn't have a problem.

The Canaletto is actually separated from the Lido on the Noordam by movable partitions that are put up each evening. The waiters on this past cruise were superb (dressed in Italian shirts) and the food is very good and the portions are astronomical! We heard experienced diners asking for half portions!

On our last cruises all the dress codes for each evening were not listed on the first day's daily program.

Really hated that.

"A couple of times we didn't and could not get a reservation -- even our concierges could not get us one"

I just returned from the inaugeral NY-Bermuda on the Veendam. I did not see making reservations before the trip as an option. When I tried to book a single seat, I was told that "Madam, you won't be eating in the Pinnacle this trip". There were too many coupons given to various groups. I did take the coupon to the pursers office for a $20 credit, otherwise, I now have no desire to eat in Pinnacle, even if I ever have the opportunity again. One of the Rotterdam dining room managers, gave me an apology and HAL gave me a stress toy in the shape of a generic HAL ship. Just not the same.

Cornelia

................Apparantly, the "domed" carts containing all the steaks for viewing and selection have been eliminated as well as the (former) posting of the PG menu outside the entrance to the PG!:mad:

Who's your source? I can tell you that the PG menus were still viewable outside Oosterdam's PG entrance a month ago. Won't argue with ya on the "domed meat demonstrator" although in the past, they have not shown it to "repeat customers" unless you wanted it to be shown (they would ask you):)

Archived