flip flops in the MDR

. Flip-flops bring to mind the cheap little plastic and rubber things you wear to the pool. I wouldn't consider those appropriate ...

Ugh, i think those plastic flip-flops are so cheap.

The leather ones are called sandals.

They are nice, and look good on.

The plastic ones, only wear them by the pool.

Flip flops are normally made of rubber even if they are "beautiful".

A nice pair of leather open toe sandles would look much better.

Some people want to wear their jeans to the dining room just because

they are expensive. Jeans are jeans no matter how much they cost.

Sorry thet are not maybe a different name thong sandals, I will agree flip flops sound for the pool but the nice ones for the evening you could not wear by the pool.

Ugh, i think those plastic flip-flops are so cheap.

The leather ones are called sandals.

They are nice, and look good on.

The plastic ones, only wear them by the pool.

I totaly agree they may be called flip flops but they are a smart sandal.

I wouldnt stop anyone wearing the later including myself I may add. Then I dont thing I would want to wear plastic flip flops when you are all dresses up!

WOW! sorry guys i started this thread, I didnt mean to cause any problems its just this is our first cruise and i really didnt think many would respond if anything it would be a simple yes or no

The answer is yes. :D

WOW! sorry guys i started this thread, I didnt mean to cause any problems its just this is our first cruise and i really didnt think many would respond if anything it would be a simple yes or no

LOL I'd also say YES... you'll find on these boards that any topics related to dress code, alcohol smuggling, and food quality ALWAYS turn into heated discussions! :rolleyes:

I find it so ironic that everyone on VACATION gets so upset about what other people look like. Really, people?

But in the end: so many of the posts on this web site are about finding the best deals, how to book on Priceline for cheap, where to stay for the best price ... so, if you're so concerned about the price of everything (which is reasonable...) then get a life and stop thinking that your cruise vacation puts you in the upper echelon of society where flip flops aren't allowed.

Just RELAX!! Personally, I think a cheap suit looks much worse than someone wearing nice flip flops. Because you're trying, but you're not succeeding. But, who am I to judge? It's something I wouldn't wear, but I want everyone to have a good time. And if you feel good about yourself (not just being comfortable, but actually feel good about how you look), then I'm happy for you and I want you to enjoy your vacation.

I find it so ironic that everyone on VACATION gets so upset about what other people look like. Really, people?

But in the end: so many of the posts on this web site are about finding the best deals, how to book on Priceline for cheap, where to stay for the best price ... so, if you're so concerned about the price of everything (which is reasonable...) then get a life and stop thinking that your cruise vacation puts you in the upper echelon of society where flip flops aren't allowed.

Just RELAX!! Personally, I think a cheap suit looks much worse than someone wearing nice flip flops. Because you're trying, but you're not succeeding. But, who am I to judge? It's something I wouldn't wear, but I want everyone to have a good time. And if you feel good about yourself (not just being comfortable, but actually feel good about how you look), then I'm happy for you and I want you to enjoy your vacation.

Here here!

IBut in the end: so many of the posts on this web site are about finding the best deals, how to book on Priceline for cheap, where to stay for the best price ... so, if you're so concerned about the price of everything (which is reasonable...) then get a life and stop thinking that your cruise vacation puts you in the upper echelon of society where flip flops aren't allowed.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think it has anything to do with "upper echelon" or anything of the sort. I think RCCL works very hard at delivering an ambiance at dinner as part of their product, and the majority of folks want to enjoy that ambiance and respect it by wearing a pair of shoes (or, in the ladies' case, perhaps a nice pair of sandals).

I think it is about courtesy to those people around you more than it is about anything else.

From the Celebrity website:

"Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

So there's the simple answer. Those bothered by flip-flops need to sail RCI's sister line Celebrity! See, they've thought of something for everyone.

As for sailing on a RCI ship, here's that photo I took at the enterance to the MDR that spell out RCI's dress code

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

So it's Celebrity for those who are offended easily by what someone wears and it's RCI for those of us who really couldn't care less what someone else is wearing.

What clothing optional place do you live at :D

That's all I plan on wearing on my cruise! That's all I wear from April to October anyway. Of course I'll get some 'fancy' ones for formal night ;)

Ok... I just have to say that for women (I am 27 if that matters) I think it would be perfectly fine to wear cute thong sandals or nice flip flops in this type of atmosphere (not old navy rubber flip flops, but pretty ones). That is PERFECT for a cruise - especially in warmer climates, ladies like to wear sundresses and capris. I doubt many women wear socks and shoes with these types of outfits. For men, sure maybe flip-flops aren't so approporiate to wear with khakis - maybe boat shoes are better, or dress shoes. I wear pretty sandals, some with heels, some flat like thongs, to fancy restaurants all the time - why in the MDR does everyone have to be so conservatively dressed?? Maybe its a generation gap thing... I'm young, I like to dress cute and fashionable, and am not wearing socks and shoes on a cruise... my toes will be a pretty pink and I'd like to show them off. :D

No, I am 50ish..born raised at the beach, has nothing to do with age has to do with comfort and climate.

I am mid 40's, live in a 4 season region and the only time I wear socks is when I am in the snow!

I think WAYYYY too many are concerned about what others are wearing and doing. Bottom line is, according to the posted "rules", any shoes are fine so if you don't like flip flops, don't wear them and GET OVER IT! I personally really hate the look of those orthopedic shoes some really older folks wear and think men who wear sandals and socks look so silly but I would never think of telling them not to wear them. Style is subjective (and as long as you are not breaking the rules it is really only a question of style). Enjoy, wear what you want and have a great cruise!!!

So there's the simple answer. Those bothered by flip-flops need to sail RCI's sister line Celebrity! See, they've thought of something for everyone.

As for sailing on a RCI ship, here's that photo I took at the enterance to the MDR that spell out RCI's dress code

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

So it's Celebrity for those who are offended easily by what someone wears and it's RCI for those of us who really couldn't care less what someone else is wearing.

Yea! Finally someone got the clue. Celebrity spells it out clearly and Royal Caribbean doesn’t say what is or is not acceptable footwear. So why all the chatter about nothing!? For those on these boards always seeking permission or opinions on what to or not to wear. It’s simple. Read the Cruise lines suggested/recommended dress code guidelines and make your own decision. We don’t care what someone else wears. Clothing choices others make has no impact on our Cruises. In our opinion the most important thing anyone Cruising should wear is a big fat smile.

Wear your flip flops. If you actually find someone under the table cloth taking notes on footwear just smack the you know what out of them. :)

Oh, and if someone is offended when you pass by in that twenty second or less walk to your table they need to seriously get a life. :D

Amen.

I wore flip flops twice in the MDR (gasp!). The first time was with a really long sundress, and the second was on the last night, when I had already put my bags out in the hallway and therefore went really casual for dinner. I wore jeans with them (double gasp!). Considering that I had seen people with swimsuits in the MDR on formal night, I didn't think anyone would mind. :D

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think it has anything to do with "upper echelon" or anything of the sort. I think RCCL works very hard at delivering an ambiance at dinner as part of their product, and the majority of folks want to enjoy that ambiance and respect it by wearing a pair of shoes (or, in the ladies' case, perhaps a nice pair of sandals).

I think it is about courtesy to those people around you more than it is about anything else.

I have only been on 4 cruises, but I do not think a "majority" of folks care what others are wearing. I mentioned this on another thread, but it would be interesting to know the opinion of the MDR "police" concerning hog chairs, smoking cigars, smuggling alcohol, and sharing soda cards. Any takers?

I say cover your feet....i don't wanna stare at the most disgusting part of your body while i'm trying to eat. Just thinking of it makes me wanna puke....please wear shoes and save the splatter!

And yes i'm serious...i gag washing my own feet!

Oh, bless you, bless you!! I thought I was the only one disgusted from this thread.

Women's open back, thong between the big toe and next toe are called "mules", and they usually have a heel and are dressy. These are great for casual night in the dining room.

Flat flip-flops that you wear schlepping around every day, all day at home, are not what most people would wear to a nice restaurant.

If your feet are manicured and clean, then the dressier ones are fine, but most men have really gross looking feet. I am also "put off my feed" by the sight of hairy toe tops, calloused heels, dry cuticles around tonenails, and the general appearance of most men's feet.

Puhleese: it's a nice place to eat dinner, and most feet are not meant to been seen while others are eating.

Oh, and yes, I wear sandals in the MDR. I'm going for my mani-pedi tomorrow and get on the ship the day after.

I don't think you meant it as a joke, but I really got a kick out of the text that I highlighted in red. I don't think RC cares that much anymore about what people are wearing in the dining room. I generally follow the dress "suggestions" with regard to clothing. I've only worn shorts to the dining room once because my luggage hadn't arrived and I forgot to pack a change of clothes in my carry-on. I've never worn jeans on a cruise, but I do wear sandals, including the dressy flip-flop type, to show off my prettily-painted toes. I admit to observing what other people are wearing but I don't let it bother me. On Serenade in January, I saw at least 20 people each night wearing shorts, many more than that in jeans (including the torn variety), and at least half the crowd in sandals of some type. I saw a few tank tops and there were definitely baseball caps present.

I didn't pack any formal clothes so I ate at Chops and Portofino on the formal nights. I wore a dressy black skirt with a sparkling top (smart casual) - what I would normally wear for a nice date night with hubby. I was better dressed than half the people that I saw going into the dining room. I counted 8 men and 2 women wearing shorts to dinner on formal night. I didn't see any of them turned away. There were probably several other people in shorts that I didn't see. The only person that I saw turned away all week was a young woman wearing a see-thru cover-up over a bikini. She was obviously angry over not being allowed to dinner, mostly because they let her male companion who also appeared to be wearing swimwear with a T-shirt into the dining room. Men's swimwear (unless it's a Speedo) can be hard to tell apart from regular shorts, which apparently are allowed.

I honestly don't think anyone at RC cares what people are wearing into the dining room. RC wants to get you on the ship and have you spend money. If they upset someone by not letting them into the dining room because of shorts/jeans/sandals/whatever then that person probably won't sail with them again. Like it or not, the only people who care what others are wearing are the other passengers. I've come to accept that RC doesn't offer the elegant dining experince of 5-10 years ago. Last cruise I paid less for a balcony cabin than I did 10 years ago for an oceanview. Cheaper prices means a cheaper experience. That's just reality. If other people's clothes bothered me that much, I'd save up for 2 years instead of just 1 and take cruise on Cunard or Regent

Here is my 2 cents on MDR footwear :)

If your footwear causes a "clop" type sound, as some thong or flip flop sandals do, then they aren't likely a good choice. You can still wear them, of course, but there would be better options.

If they are more of a sandal with a thong, and do not "clop", then they are an appropriate shoe for MDR :) I would upgrade on formal night to something elegant, and JMO but a thong sandal is not elegant.

I have several dressier thong sandals that I will wear on the smart casual evenings, but for the formal night only a cute heel shoe will match with my dresses :)

Archived