Capri/Naples What not to miss???

CruizinCupcake

We just booked our first cruise to Europe (Greek Islands on Star Princess in October). Our first port of call is Capri/Naples and we are wondering what to do. We prefer not to take the shore tours offered by the ship we like the private tour operators. What are the things not to miss and can anyone suggest a private tour?

We just booked our first cruise to Europe (Greek Islands on Star Princess in October). Our first port of call is Capri/Naples and we are wondering what to do. We prefer not to take the shore tours offered by the ship we like the private tour operators. What are the things not to miss and can anyone suggest a private tour?

Hi we docked in Naples in October and used APTours - they are on facebook and are on the internet - we had a tour to Ravello, Amalfi Positano and then caught the hydrofoil back from Sorrento to Naples and walked to ship (5 mins) - we had lunch in a hillside restaurant overlooking Positano - Driver was Alberto and was fantastic:)

When you only have 1 day in port, there are 3 main places that you need to choose from -- you really can't do them all in a day -- Capri, Amalfi coast, and Pompeii. The first time we visited Naples, we took the hydrofoil to Sorrento, walked around there and had lunch, and then took the train to Pompeii where we spent the rest of the day and then the train back to the ship. The second time we visited Naples, we took the hydrofoil to Capri and spent the day there. Both of these were very easy to do on your own. I want to go back again to visit the Amalfi coast and the Naples archeological museum. Once you decide which place you most want to see, you can read lots and lots of info about it on these boards.

We took the hydrofoil from the ship -- it's right there at the port -- and then returned by train. I think it's possible to walk to/from the train station, but we were running kind of late and took a taxi back to the ship. I have read that it's wise to be cautious walking around Naples. I found Rick Steves' Italy guidebook to be a great resource with lots of info about getting around everywhere. It can probably answer most of your questions.

When you only have 1 day in port, there are 3 main places that you need to choose from -- you really can't do them all in a day -- Capri, Amalfi coast, and Pompeii.

Um, excuse me, but there's also Naples herself, one of the great cities of Europe, full of art, history, music, architecture, etc. Another option is Caserta, where there is a palace and gardens that rival Versailles.

Um, excuse me, but there's also Naples herself, one of the great cities of Europe, full of art, history, music, architecture, etc. Another option is Caserta, where there is a palace and gardens that rival Versailles.

This sounds very interesting as we have a Med. Cruise next year and wanted to do Pompeii then. Do you know any tour company that offers this or is it something you can do on your own?

Any of the tour companies will put together a private tour covering exactly what you want. This will be the most expensive option, but it will also be worry-free. Often cruisers use the roll call for your specific cruise to find others who are interested in doing the same things, then share the cost of the private tour with them, making it more affordable.

It can also be done on your own, but you need to limit your goals. For example, you could take the train to Pompei from Naples first thing in the morning, then move on to your second location around lunchtime.

After Pompei, what would be your next location? If Naples, you'd simply retrace your steps on the train.

If Sorrento, you'd continue on the train, then take the train or a ferry back afterwards.

If Caserta, you'd take the train back to Naples from Pompei, then switch to the state railroad (or a bus) to Caserta and back. (Caserta is about a half hour from Naples by either bus or train).

Ummmmm, excuse me EuroCruiser but we must disagree on your Naples comment. As hard as we try we have yet to find much charm in Naples other then their excellent museum. We have all kinds of advice and help for those docking in Naples and none of it includes staying in Naples :) Perhaps the most famous moment for Naples (in modern history) is that they were the home of the longest garbage strike in the history of the world.

Hank

Then we'll agree to disagree, because I could go on and on about Naples and all she has to offer.

I think the reason there is so little written about Naples on these (and other) travel boards is that there is such a wealth of things to see and do in the area, and a city that mixes lots of good with some infamous bad just gets overlooked in the face of fame like Pompei, or beauty like the Amalfi Coast or Capri.

Maybe someday we'll be at port in Naples on the same day ... bet I could change your mind!

Magicat, I hope someone else can help you, this isn't my area of expertise. I found a couple of great new (to me) restaurants in Naples when I was there in February, but I'm not aware of any foodie tours.

Maybe Carla Capalbo's book on the food of Naples and Campania has some ideas?

Then we'll agree to disagree, because I could go on and on about Naples and all she has to offer.

I think the reason there is so little written about Naples on these (and other) travel boards is that there is such a wealth of things to see and do in the area, and a city that mixes lots of good with some infamous bad just gets overlooked in the face of fame like Pompei, or beauty like the Amalfi Coast or Capri.

Maybe someday we'll be at port in Naples on the same day ... bet I could change your mind!

Now that is a deal and we will even buy the pizza and beer!

Hank

Archived