Sport coat ok for elegant nights?

We are on the Legend 6/27 and have an issue. We are driving to Florida from TX and I am packing for 4 people for this trip. We are taking a sedan (long story) and golf clubs for my husband and will be gone in total for 3 weeks. We will be in and out of hotels and packing is a real struggle this time around.

In the past, we have taken a tux or suit for my husband but there is no way I will be able to fit that in the luggage. I would like just to pack a sport coat for him. I am actually going to pack mostly in duffle bags so I can fit everything in the car. I am going to take a suitcase with everyones nicer clothes in that one bag.

I packed that for our NCL Alaska cruise last year and that was just fine. Alaska is more of a jeans and sweatshirt destination so wearing a sport coat was a real step up.

Sure that will be fine.

My husband wore a dark suite and my 15 year old a white shirt/tie. There were others in nice button down dress shirts etc. A few tuxes too.

Carnival did away with "Formal" nights, and instituted Elegant nights...A sports coat is going to be fine...I am only packing jackets for hubby and oldest son...Youngest just a shirt and tie....or just a collared shirt...

The ladies in our group wearing only sun dresses, skirts etc..No more tuxes or gowns..

Sports jackets are even too much anymore, no need for them.

On elegant(previously formal) night many wore nice slacks and shirts, I wore a nice hawaiin shirt with baggie pants(see screen name) never had a problem. And some even wore shorts.

Its YOUR vacation, be comfy

Carnival did away with "Formal" nights, and instituted Elegant nights...A sports coat is going to be fine...I am only packing jackets for hubby and oldest son...Youngest just a shirt and tie....or just a collared shirt...

The ladies in our group wearing only sun dresses, skirts etc..No more tuxes or gowns..

So lemme get this straight - no need for me to bring a suit and tie? No more formal nights? Why did Carnival ditch formal nights? That's a big night for us. RCL hasn't ditched formal night. This is a bummer.

Why don't people enjoy dressing out anymore? Is this why Carnival is identified as the wal-mart of the cruise industry? If not, this sure paints them in that corner!

So lemme get this straight - no need for me to bring a suit and tie? No more formal nights? Why did Carnival ditch formal nights? That's a big night for us. RCL hasn't ditched formal night. This is a bummer.

Why don't people enjoy dressing out anymore? Is this why Carnival is identified as the wal-mart of the cruise industry? If not, this sure paints them in that corner!

You are still encouraged to dress up, and most people do (from what I hear).

Carnival calls the "elegant nights" now. It's not much different except the dress code was slightly relaxed. I dress up for work every day, I don't need to do it on vacation. I'm happy with the policy. FWIW NCL has completely done away with formal night except in one dining room.

I pack a sport coat and a nice button-down shirt for elegant nights. The rest of the nights it's khakis and polo shirts.

Sports jackets are even too much anymore, no need for them.

Why do you care what other people wear - you wear what you want, and let others wear what they want (within the guidelines of course).

Carnival relaxed the dress code for formal night and changed the name to elegant night to appease those who were ignoring it anyway.

Why do you care what other people wear - you wear what you want, and let others wear what they want (within the guidelines of course).

Carnival relaxed the dress code for formal night and changed the name to elegant night to appease those who were ignoring it anyway.

Which begs the question....

What constitutes an elegant kilt?

I just came back from the Miracle. People dressed as they pleased no matter what Carnival suggested. I took a sport jacket but didn't use it. Some wore ties, suits, tuxedos. All seemed to be having a great time and no one seemed ill at ease. I often wonder why what I chose to ware has such a big effect on others vacation.

On the last three Carnival cruises in the last Yr on the Pride,Triumph and the Freedom I wore Sport coat and dress shirt and No tie and was dressed better then most and did not feel out of place.Will do same in august on the Legend.

from what i gather men are able to wear shorts & polo shirts:confused:

since i booked airtran vs SWA & im paying to check my bags:rolleyes:, my guys r leaving the suits @ home & wearing dress pants & shoes with oxford shirt & tie.

<singing> A white... sportscoat.... and a pink.... carnation.

Wow, I am WAY too young to even KNOW that song :o

Not if you've seen the infomercials for "Biggest Hits" albums! At least thats what I tell people. ;)

Glad to have found this thread. I swear DH is part polar bear and breaks out in a sweat at temps above 60c. Was concerned wearing long sleeved shirt and jacket would smother him. He will be much more comfortable in shirt and tie.

Was just trying assist the OP as they are packing a sedan for 4 people for 3 weeks and do not need to waste space with articles of clothing that is not needed.

Did this simplify my suggestion for you?

from what i gather men are able to wear shorts & polo shirts:confused:

since i booked airtran vs SWA & im paying to check my bags:rolleyes:, my guys r leaving the suits @ home & wearing dress pants & shoes with oxford shirt & tie.

Not on "Elegant night"

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Not on "Elegant night"

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

that's what CCL posts, too bad they apparently don't enforce...according to friends who have recently sailed CCL have told me:(

During recent elegant night on the Inspiration, bud observed several adult men in cargo shorts, 'dressy' tshirts & flip flops.

Which begs the question....

What constitutes an elegant kilt?

Aye, laddie, was wunderin' the same thing. Ah'd bring ma pipes along, but widnae want te bother the folk wi' ma b flat pipes!

Archived