Mixing ages in program

pinecrest6

We are taking our 4 grandchildren on the Freedom of the Seas in late Nov. In reading, it seems they sometimes mix the age groups. We have a 9, 11, and two 12's. I am concerned about the girls (12) being put in same program with teenagers. Any one have any thoughts/advice/experience with this situation? :confused:

Most cruiselines will let the kids move down in age. They just won't usually let them move up. If you are cruising over Thanksgiving, should be many kids on board; it appears the ages are usually mixed when there's a small group.

The age groups are 9-11 and 12-14 so the 12 yr olds will be with teenagers. The 12-14 yr old group is combined with the 15-17 yr old group sometimes if there is not enough kids in one group to run an activity. We have never experienced them combining the groups at night, only during the day. The two teen groups will not be combined with the younger 9-11 group since they are in completely seperate areas and run by different staffs.

. . . I am concerned about the girls (12) being put in same program with teenagers. Any one have any thoughts/advice/experience with this situation? :confused:

The 12-14 and 15-17YO groups don't do nearly as much "organized" activities as they do in Adventure Ocean. A lot of the activities; such as rock climbing, swim party, scavenger hunts, arcade/movie times are mixed no matter what the number of teens are participating.

The 12 and up group are given a lot of independence. It is important that you set down rules with the girls as far as your expections - where they can and cannot go, that they need to be together at all times, or whatever makes you comfortable. They are getting to the age where the structure of the kids program will not appeal to them.

Your Emily will still be 5 when you cruise, so they will not let her move up to the older group. They are quite strict with the younger kids and they don't want any liability concerns. And if there are a lot of kids on your cruise, the chances of moving up are even less. The rule for cruise lines is, the age you are on the first day of the cruise, is the age you are for the entire cruise. I'm sure there are lots of parents who can say "My child will be 6 in four months, or my child will be 12 in 8 months".

Your Emily will still be 5 when you cruise, so they will not let her move up to the older group. They are quite strict with the younger kids and they don't want any liability concerns. And if there are a lot of kids on your cruise, the chances of moving up are even less. The rule for cruise lines is, the age you are on the first day of the cruise, is the age you are for the entire cruise. I'm sure there are lots of parents who can say "My child will be 6 in four months, or my child will be 12 in 8 months".

I understand that. My question is are the activities aimed at 5 year olds or 3 year olds?

My experience is that in the 3-5 age group that the activities are really geared for the older kids in that group. My 3 year old is a boy, so maybe it's just that he's not so interested in arts and craft. They read stories and do activities with the stories and do alot of crafts and games. If she is mature for her age she might find those activities boring, but most of their activities would be fun for most kindergarteners or first graders. When I have watched the group, it seems than many 3 year olds are somewhat out of the loop.

Archived