Juneau-How to fit it all in

gotonana

We are going to be in port at Juneau on June 15th from 700AM-830PM. We have a dog cart ride with a scheduled pick-up at 915AM at Mt. Roberts Tramway parking lot. We want to go to Mendenhall Glacier and see the photo trail, visitors' center and the trail with the possible salmon/bearing fishing. We would also like to see the glacier gardens and Mt. Roberts via the tramway, see the State Museum, the alaskan brewery and shop in Juneau (fudge shop and gifts). We are not renting a car and we would like to take the trolley or public transportation.

Temsco will probably drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center after the dog cart ride. If that is the case, should we take the MGT shuttle all the way back to the pier and take the city bus to Glacier Gardens (I understand there is a bus stop across the street) and then take the bus to the Alaskan Brewery, spend a couple of hours there and do the Mt. Roberts Tramway before we board the ship?

We would need lunch so has anyone had experience with Temsco. Would they take us to get sandwiches before Mendenhall? If not, maybe we could take power bars to get us through Mendenhall. Is there a place to eat near the bus stop at Glacier Gardens area that we good grab a bite to eat? The State Museum is supposed to be a 10-15 walk from the pier and is on the bus route. One of the other people in our group wants to go to the Red Dog Saloon for the experience. We would like to eat dinner on the ship. We have the early seating. Would it be doable to shop after dinner to get fudge and look around?

Any help from people who have been there would really help! There are going to be 5 ships in port when we are there. I need a reality check before I over plan. All suggestions welcome. We will be at the CT dock.

Thanks In Advance,

Linda

You definately are underestimating time. Your most efficient routing would be by rental car.

Your tour start is 9:30am??? You don't mention when TEMSCO, but they are not noted for any drop offs but back to port. No, they aren't going to "stop" anywhere for your lunch. IF you are intent on going to Glacier Gardens, then look at a cab direct to/from Mendenhall. Then another cab, to/from Alaska Brewery. No food nearby either. The city bus is slow, with numerous stops, not the best use of time perhaps. With just those choices, you are already well into the afternoon/evening. Your dinner is a priority?? Then you'll be back on your ship about 5:30pm, me, I miss plenty of ship meals, my port time is more valuable. :)

The Alaska State Museum is walkable from the dock, and needs at least an hour, in my opinion, there is also the Juneau Douglas City Museum. You need to allow an hour for the tram. You can do that at dusk.

There aren't likely going to be any salmon at Mendenhall. In my experience, that area is a later run. But verify this.

Hopefully you can see, that this isn't going to work. Unless you get a rental car, you'll be lucky to get in half this list, with your current transportation plans.

Where does whalewatching fit in these plans???

IMO that is a must in Juneau

If there are 5 ships there expect things to be slower paced I think if you try to do all of the above you will run yourself ragged

I would choose 2 major things If you have time add shopping,the saloon etc

Mandenhall takes a few hours esp if you want to walk around and get a feel for it.We stayed 1.5 hours and did not even have time for the trail to the fall or visitor's centre

Pace yourself

We never had time for Mt Roberts tram

SLOW down

Enjoy

Michele

You definately are underestimating time. Your most efficient routing would be by rental car.

Your tour start is 9:30am??? You don't mention when TEMSCO, but they are not noted for any drop offs but back to port. No, they aren't going to "stop" anywhere for your lunch. IF you are intent on going to Glacier Gardens, then look at a cab direct to/from Mendenhall. Then another cab, to/from Alaska Brewery. No food nearby either. The city bus is slow, with numerous stops, not the best use of time perhaps. With just those choices, you are already well into the afternoon/evening. Your dinner is a priority?? Then you'll be back on your ship about 5:30pm, me, I miss plenty of ship meals, my port time is more valuable. :)

The Alaska State Museum is walkable from the dock, and needs at least an hour, in my opinion, there is also the Juneau Douglas City Museum. You need to allow an hour for the tram. You can do that at dusk.

There aren't likely going to be any salmon at Mendenhall. In my experience, that area is a later run. But verify this.

Hopefully you can see, that this isn't going to work. Unless you get a rental car, you'll be lucky to get in half this list, with your current transportation plans.

Budget Queen.

Thanks for the insight concerning time.If we rented a car, what route would you reccomend given the list of interests below? The Glacier Gardens are not a must to see. The dog cart ride is in a remote area outside of Juneau but I am not sure if we would pass Mendenhall coming back or if it is in the opposite direction.

The sights we are most interested in are:

1. Temsco Dog Cart Ride-Paid and booked for 9:15AM

2. Mendenhall Glacier

3. State Museum

4. The Alaskan Brewery

5. Mt. Roberts via Tram if the weather permits

Any help would be appreciated!

Linda

PS- We are whale watching in Icy straits.

We did whale watching first thing then, Last year we rented a car from rent a wreak (cheap $54 all day) they picked us up and took us to the rental place our car only had a small crack in the windshield otherwise nice car. They gave us a map of all the great places to sight see and we got a lot in. They also are out of town. we went to St Therese not something we would not normally do but it was beautiful, Glacier Gardens it's also beautiful (didn't think the hubby would like this but he did) and its a guided tour in a golf cart, the brewery-stay as long as you like but a hour is plenty, Mendenhall incredible glacier-give extra time here you won't be disappointed, Red dog saloon, shopped but alot of stores are closed in the evening and if I remember this is where we had dinner at the Hanger. we weren't rushed I only regret not enough time at Mendenhall. Oh and out of the 3 times to Juneau the Tram has been fogged in so don't go. And as mentioned this is a awesome port for whales!!! and we used several of the toursaver coupons in this port enjoy but you'll have to go back again and again Karon:)

The dog cart ride is in a remote area outside of Juneau but I am not sure if we would pass Mendenhall coming back or if it is in the opposite direction.

The sights we are most interested in are:

1. Temsco Dog Cart Ride-Paid and booked for 9:15AM

So you're not doing the dog sledding up on the glacier? Temsco is a helicopter company; is it a combo excursion?

For whatever reason, the tour companies keep the dog cart places more locked down than a CIA black ops site, but the two I've stumbled across are not what I'd call 'remote.' You have to remember, we only have 100 miles of road in the whole town. Either location I've seen, one out Thane Road, another on Douglas Island, would actually work well with a Rent-a-Wreck car, since I believe the company is now near downtown. Both locations are convenient to downtown. Then you could head out to the glacier, and work your way back in.

PS- We are whale watching in Icy straits.

I don't understand responses that don't help to the query, but tell the OP to do something they didn't ask about. Anyway! You may be able to pull this off! And with a car, you can do lunch. Public transportation really puts you in a pickle with that situation.

I can verify now that Rent a wreck is downtown. We have a reservation in two weeks and they sent us the location of the new location. What is in the Visitor's Center at Mendenhall? Is it worth going in?

Can you tell me the location? I haven't noticed a sign up anywhere and their website still lists their location as out in the valley.

The Visitor's Center has a film about the glacier, and various exhibits explaining how glaciers work. There's also some scopes for looking at the glacier. You can access the bathroom and gift shop without paying.

Can you tell me the location? I haven't noticed a sign up anywhere and their website still lists their location as out in the valley.

101 Mill Street (2 blocks south of AJ Dock) and one mile south of Alaska Steamship Dock.

Quote from Teaharbor:

"For whatever reason, the tour companies keep the dog cart places more locked down than a CIA black ops site, but the two I've stumbled across are not what I'd call 'remote.' You have to remember, we only have 100 miles of road in the whole town. Either location I've seen, one out Thane Road, another on Douglas Island."

Thanks for responding Teaharbor. It is good to hear from a local. From the description below, can you tell how far the dogsled ride is from downtown/the dock and would we pass Mendenhall Glacier going or coming back? If you were visiting these places in this time frame what route would you take?

The excursion is a BOGO coupon offer described as: Summer Dog Sled Camp. Dogsled ride in Sheep Creek Valley. 1650 Maplesden Way. Juneau .

"Enjoy an exciting dogsled ride near the site of the historic AJ Gold Mine in Sheep Creek Valley. Specially designed, six to eight passenger, wheeled sleds takebyou through the valley, pulled by Alaskan huskies. Meet the mushers and see an Iditarod summer training camp. Have your camera ready when you get to hold husky pups!".

When I spoke to Temsco in December they said it was a beautiful ride along the Gastineau Channel to a remote area. I could not find an on-line map large enough to answer my questions.

Califcruiser1- Thanks for the post. It makes renting a car more appealing. The problem is: It is probably too late to get a rental car at a decent price this late before the cruise. We might just have to take a taxi to the brewery.

Travelerie-How expensive is the rent a wreck this year? When did you reserve it? I enjoy exhibits/history so I thought it would be a fun walk through and a place to get up to date info on the trails/maps?

Thanks again everyone! I am so excited about this trip! Any other info is welcome!

Linda

Thanks for responding Teaharbor. It is good to hear from a local. From the description below, can you tell how far the dogsled ride is from downtown/the dock and would we pass Mendenhall Glacier going or coming back? If you were visiting these places in this time frame what route would you take?

The excursion is a BOGO coupon offer described as: Summer Dog Sled Camp. Dogsled ride in Sheep Creek Valley. 1650 Maplesden Way. Juneau .

"Enjoy an exciting dogsled ride near the site of the historic AJ Gold Mine in Sheep Creek Valley. Specially designed, six to eight passenger, wheeled sleds takebyou through the valley, pulled by Alaskan huskies. Meet the mushers and see an Iditarod summer training camp. Have your camera ready when you get to hold husky pups!".

When I spoke to Temsco in December they said it was a beautiful ride along the Gastineau Channel to a remote area. I could not find an on-line map large enough to answer my questions.

Okay, it's the better one for your plans. It's off of Thane Road. Go to google maps and google Thane Road, then Mill Street. You'll see that it's right on the way back from the dog cart ride. I doubt Temsco will let you drive yourself there. As I said, it's all back behind a chainlink fence, no signage.

Perhaps on the way back they could drop you off at Rent a Wreck? That would save you the time of walking back to Mill Street.

I'd only recommend using Rent a Wreck. The only other rental companies are at the airport, so that's a $50+ RT cab ride, not counting that time lost. As for whether any cars are available, there's one way to find out; give them a call.

Archived