Vancouver check-in procedure

If you are taking a cruise out of Vancouver and are going up there from the states, you have to present your passport or enhanced washington state ID or drivers license. Once you get to the cruise terminal, it is a smooth process. You go to the check in point, fill out a slip of paper, have a seat.. then when it's your rows turn you simply go up to the counter and check in just as you have on your other cruises in the states. :) Very easy process as long as you have the required documents needed...

When you take a cruise out of Vancouver, do you check-in at cruiseline counter first or do you go through US immigration first?

Your answer is greatly appreciated.

If you are leavbing out of Vancouver (as we did last summer) you are already in Canada. If you fly in, you go through US customs on the way out of the states and Canadian Customs as you deplane in Vancouver. If you drive there you will do the same thing only US Customs and Canadian Customs will be at the border crossing. If my memory serves me we went through Customs (Canadian) at Canada Place before boarding but don't quaote me on it as I was so excited I might not have paid too much attention.

Enjoy your cruise and try and spend a couple days in Vancouver if you can as it is really a gorgeous city.

Cheers, Kenn.

If you fly in, you go through US customs on the way out of the states and Canadian Customs as you deplane in Vancouver.

I don't understand this. When you leave the US to fly to Canada, you do not go through US customs.

I don't understand this. When you leave the US to fly to Canada, you do not go through US customs.

I am not quite sure what the OP meant, however when you fly into Vancouver you clear Canadian customs at the Vancouver airport (YVR) and if you fly out of YVR into the US you clear US customs at YVR on your way out.

When boarding a ship in Vancouver you will clear US customs at the pier and when returning to Vancouver from Alaska you will clear Canadian customs at the pier.

If driving to Canada you will clear Canadian customs northbound at the border and if driving back to the US you will clear US customs at the border southbound.

If I may, I believe the OP is trying to clarify the following scenario...

Driving or flying into Canada from the US you will go through Canadian customs at the border or at the airport. Now you are in Canada.

Once you arrive at the cruise terminal you will be "leaving" Canada and going to the United States (Alaska). Therefore you will need to clear US customs in order to board the ship. Once onboard you are (technically) in the US. Make sense?

The OP wants to know which will you do first at the cruise terminal...

1. Check in with your cruise line and then clear US customs?

2. Clear US customs and then check in with the cruise line?

This is important to the OP because they have a friend that has an expired VISA stamp which would automatically be renewed by clearing US customs.

They are concerned because if you have to check in with the cruise line first, they might have a problem with the expired stamp.

But, if clearing US customs first, the stamp would be renewed and there will not be any issue for the cruise line.

I wish I knew the answer....

canada place works as follows.

1. drop your checked luggage off with the porters curbside

2. clear security. like the airport the cruise ticket has to be shown to enter security

3. clear us customs and immmigration

4. check in with the cruise line.

5. board the ship

6. sit back, relax and enjoy the cruise

canada place works as follows.

1. drop your checked luggage off with the porters curbside

2. clear security. like the airport the cruise ticket has to be shown to enter security

3. clear us customs and immmigration

4. check in with the cruise line.

5. board the ship

6. sit back, relax and enjoy the cruise

Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know.

However, many cruisers claim that they experience something slightly different. They have (3) and (4) reversed. I wonder which one is the norm and is there any trend or particular reason different cruise line use different procedure?

What was this information based from? If its your personal experience may I know the actual date and cruise line?

Routine for Canada Place was. Security.. Cruise Line Check in.... and then US Customs & Immigration.

That's if your next port was indeed in The USA.

However, many cruisers claim that they experience something slightly different. They have (3) and (4) reversed. I wonder which one is the norm and is there any trend or particular reason different cruise line use different procedure?

What was this information based from? If its your personal experience may I know the actual date and cruise line?

Personal experience: 4 yrs ago. Canada Place.. Celebrity. 3 ships in and crowded and USA guys were late.

3 yrs ago Ballantyne Pier Celebrity two ships.

Time may be a factor...? So I guess you should check with your Cruise lines agent in Vancouver before you sail.

Sorry.

Since I work at the pier, I can tell you the exact process for 99% of the cruises (Vancouver to Alaska). You will drop off your luggage, enter the terminal and proceed through security where your carry on bags are screened and you go through a metal detector. From here you go through US immigration/customs. You then proceed to check in where you fill out your health forms and get your room keys. Then you board the ship.

The above scenario applies to all cruises that sail from Vancouver with their first port in the US (eg Ketchikan) as you need to pre-clear for the US before boarding so that you don't need to do so at your first port. It works slightly differently at times if you are on one of the repositioning cruises as you MIGHT be permitted to skip US immigration and clear this when you arrive in Seattle or wherever the ship is going. This is dependent on the cruise line and the US immigration folks - I've only seen it happen very occasionally so I would assume you would be doing the first scenario!

...and that was the order we experienced last Saturday.

I'd like to add that you should plant to arrive in ample time. Last Saturday's boarding experience, with three ships in port, was disgraceful. The terminal was constructed before the requirement for security screening came into effect and at a time when ships were smaller. Last Saturday, the terminal staff and facilities just couldn't cope (click and click).

...and that was the order we experienced last Saturday.

I'd like to add that you should plant to arrive in ample time. Last Saturday's boarding experience, with three ships in port, was disgraceful. The terminal was constructed before the requirement for security screening came into effect and at a time when ships were smaller. Last Saturday, the terminal staff and facilities just couldn't cope (click and click).

Yes, it's always a problem when 3 big ships are in since all passengers are required to go through security and US immigration prior to checking in. One day last week, there was a 2 hour wait to get in the terminal at 12:30pm. However, when I stepped out of the office at 3:20pm the terminal was empty and the lines were gone - I would wait until last minute to avoid the lines. However, I understand why those on the shorter trips (which most are currently) want to get there as early as possible to make the most of their time!

Another outlook on boarding times: It will be as long as YOU make it! No matter where I board, if there is a long line up, like this March in FLL boarding the Infinity, oh well! I got on the ship after a wait and it was worth the wait. I have gotten right on some and waited for others, so it all averages out in the end.:)

Yes, it's always a problem when 3 big ships are in since all passengers are required to go through security and US immigration prior to checking in. One day last week, there was a 2 hour wait to get in the terminal at 12:30pm. However, when I stepped out of the office at 3:20pm the terminal was empty and the lines were gone - I would wait until last minute to avoid the lines. However, I understand why those on the shorter trips (which most are currently) want to get there as early as possible to make the most of their time!

I have never incurred much of a wait, maybe I have just been fortunate. However, I am curious as to how much of this delay could be a result of the first big cruise ship weekend and a bunch of "new hires" just feeling their way in the their new jobs. I will say that with the 3 ships in port on Friday morning the disembarkation was as smooth as silk....and no line up for a taxi.:D

The only real wait that I experienced on Friday was on the ship as we were about 30 minutes late in getting our group called but once we starting moving I was off the ship in no time - I was home 20 minutes after leaving Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived