which stop for Trevi Fountain

CasaM

I'm trying to help my DS and DIL plan a day in Rome. They are there on a Wed, so I'm thinking they should avoid St Peters in the AM.

They might like to start out at Trevi Fountain and Colisseum and then go to St Peters in the afternoon.

They are taking the train from Civitevecchia. Which stop would be closest to Trevi?

The closest metro stop to Trevi is Barberini (I believe it also says Fontana de Trevi -- pretty clear that's Trevi Fountain!)

If they are coming via train from Civitavecchia, though, I'd recommend they go to the Colosseum first as it's easy to get there. Get off the train at Ostiense station, and get on the metro (right next to train station) headed north. Get off at the Colosseo stop -- very easy!

It's kind of a toss-up if you start at Trevi. It makes more sense, I think, to start at the Colosseum. For the Colosseum, I recommend taking the train to Roma Ostiense, then walking through the tunnel to the metro station and taking that north (toward Rebibbia) one or two stops. The first stop is Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus), from here you walk north on Via Gregorio to the Palatine Hill ticket office where you purchase the combination ticket for the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill. The Colosseum is another block north from there on the same road.

After the Colosseum, you can walk through the Forum, exiting at the steps up to the Campidoglio. Walk down Michelangelo's Cordonata to Piazza Venezia, from there Trevi is about a five minute walk.

If you start at Trevi, then go to the Colosseum, and then to the Vatican area, you'll be retracing steps.

If you insist, however, I suppose the easiest and fastest route would be the train to Termini, then the Metro A line two stops (toward Batitstini) and get off at Barberini. From there to Trevi is less than a half mile.

Edited to add:

Cynthia, again great minds ...

Thank you, that is great advice to start at Colosseum and not back track. So is this doable in one day and would this be the correct order:

Colosseum, Trevi, Pantheon, St Peters Basillica.

I think they would like a more leisurely pace and would like to walk between stops and also get something to eat along the way, so I don't want to overplan/underplan.

Then return via train from San Pietro stop. How does this sound?

We did this in November. We went to the Colusseum, lunch at sandwich wagon, taxied to Pantheon, walked to Trevi, and then taxied to St Peters. We left St Peter's, walked to San Pietro (sp?) train station and caught the 4:30 pm train back to Civ.

CasaM,

You can map out a walking route on Google Maps ... it will give you a map with the route, plus written directions and estimated times. It also shows where the Metro stops and Train stations are. Use "Colosseum, Rome, Italy" as your starting point, go to Directions, and add the other destinations.

Forgot to add...choose "Walking" Directions from the drop down menu in the section which starts with "By Car".

Thank you, that is great advice to start at Colosseum and not back track. So is this doable in one day and would this be the correct order:

Colosseum, Trevi, Pantheon, St Peters Basillica.

I think they would like a more leisurely pace and would like to walk between stops and also get something to eat along the way, so I don't want to overplan/underplan.

Then return via train from San Pietro stop. How does this sound?

This makes sense to me, just as you have it. I assume you'll have them walk through the Forum ... they've already paid for it with the Colosseum ticket, and it's incredible.

If they were to use a taxi to cover any part of the day, I'd use it from the Pantheon to St. Peter's, it's the longest point-to-point walk of the day. However, it's certainly walkable.

Given your proposed itinerary -starting at the Colosseum, do get the earliest train you can. We did this trip last October and missed the earlier train and by the time we got there had a least a 35 minute queue at the Palatine Hill entrance to the Forum for tickets this was still much better than getting tickets at the Colosseum itself where the queue was horrific! We intended to finish with St Peters, but only proposed to take the lift to the pediment but here again the queue was very long and as we had children with us we decided against the long wait. Very much 'early bird catches the worm' in Rome. Enjoy!

Archived