Accra or Boatyard

aim2cruise

I will be in Barbados next Wed via the Carnival Victory!! Originally, I was all set on going to Accra, but now the more I'm reading the more undecided I am becoming.

There will be 5 adults ages 30-50 and 2 children 5 and 14. Boatyard seems like it would be more fun for the children. In every island the beach is a must and I don't want them to get bored.

So I ask Accra or Boatyard?

And if we do go to Boatyard can we walk down to Lobster Alive for lunch?

Thanks!

I just read some things on tripadvisor.com but some of the bad comments were in 2009. Just that it was crowded, secruity and workers are rude, the food wasn't that good....blah...blah...blah!!

I just read some things on tripadvisor.com but some of the bad comments were in 2009. Just that it was crowded, secruity and workers are rude, the food wasn't that good....blah...blah...blah!!

I've read several similar comments, but when we were there in February, 2008, we didn't find it crowded at all, thought the beach was beautiful and personnel were friendly. Obviously things can change, but we will be there on a cruise next November and our current plans are to go back to the Boatyard.:)

I'm thinking that a lot depends on The Day.

Boatyard is popular with ships' crews who want to let their hair down a bit

so if there are 3 or 4 ships in Port that day, Boatyard could get busy

with regular cruisers as well. :cool:

If it's that busy, you retreat to the beach

or go to Lobster next door which is a more uniformly-sane place, day to day

We just returned from our cruise. We went to boatyard beach. There were several adults and a few teenagers in our group. Everyone enjoyed their time at the beach. The teenagers liked the trampoline and rope. The beach had nice waves too.

It wasn't crowded at the beach. I think we were the only ship that day.

We went to Accra last month and it was beautiful. We drove by boatyard on the way there and it looked like a slum. We were very happy with Accra. Can't wait to go back.

We would have loved to have gone to Accra but there were only two of us, so the taxi rate increased from $15 pp/rt to $25 pp/rt. Really didn't feel like spending $50 just to get to the beach, so we jumped in with a taxi full of people going to Carlisle Bay. Had a great day, clear water and white sand. We didn't go to Boatyard but were on the same beach.

Havent been to Boatyard, but I can tell you my experience at Accra just last week. Lovely beach, but theres not much to do for kids..nothing actually. But for relaxing and swimming, great! One tip, 'free' chairs and umbrellas to be had at the far left of the beach, at Bar Kanai...I say 'free', but technically you have to pay for them and are given a credit equal to that to be used at the bar on food and drinks. The downfall is that the price of the food is high, but so it is anywhere when the bar is right there on the beach!

Outdoor shower to rinse off afterward, taxis waiting, friendly people it seemed. Now, I do want to issue one warning since you mentioned you have kids....while there, my bf went to get us some cokes from a stand right on the beach there (NOT Bar Kanai), and was offered coke that doesnt come in a bottle, if you know what i mean.

-while there, my bf went to get us some cokes from a stand right on the beach there (NOT Bar Kanai),

and was offered coke that doesn't come in a bottle, if you know what i mean.

Good thing you didn't fork over any big bucks for alternative material

-you woulda got talcum powder instead of what was offered.

That happens a lot. ;)

What is offered isn't necessarily what gets delivered!

• 2 weeks later...
Good thing you didn't fork over any big bucks for alternative material

-you woulda got talcum powder instead of what was offered.

That happens a lot. ;)

What is offered isn't necessarily what gets delivered!

Question to APLMAC -

There is a thread on the RCCL board about a SCUBA diver who lost a waterproof Ikelite housing/camera on Aruba, which floated via the loop current from Aruba to Key West where it was retrieved by a Key West felow who is trying to figure out how to return the camera and housing to the owner. With your connections could you pop over there and see if you recognize anybody in the photos from the card posted on the board there?

We would have loved to have gone to Accra but there were only two of us, so the taxi rate increased from $15 pp/rt to $25 pp/rt. Really didn't feel like spending $50 just to get to the beach, so we jumped in with a taxi full of people going to Carlisle Bay. Had a great day, clear water and white sand. We didn't go to Boatyard but were on the same beach.

We walked outside the port gates and shopped around until we found a driver who accepted the $15.00 pp/rt. They were more than happy to accept that price. Next time we may take the bus. It seems easy enough to do. I've read it's 75 cents pp each way to Accra/Rockley Beach.

We walked outside the port gates and shopped around until we found a driver who accepted the $15.00 pp/rt.

They were more than happy to accept that price.

Next time we may take the bus. It seems easy enough to do.

I've read it's 75 cents pp each way to Accra/Rockley Beach.

Yes, it's only 75 US cents bus fare (just give them a dollar and be done with it!)

and yes it's easy enough to do, but the bus terminal you want is not the one that's conveniently close to the Port! :cool:

The terminal you want is the one on the far side of the town -probably 25 mins. walk?

So if it's a hot day (Morning After?) it might be easier to just take a (one way?) taxi to South Coast beaches

-and bus it back into Bridgetown in the afternoon when you're done?

but don't forget that your bus-trip will end on the far side of town, a 25 min. walk away from the Port.

Taking the local buses for trips heading North of the Port is a lot easier

because that terminal is the one just outside the Port's gates almost

- a 5 min. walk.

We walked outside the port gates and shopped around until we found a driver who accepted the $15.00 pp/rt. They were more than happy to accept that price. Next time we may take the bus. It seems easy enough to do. I've read it's 75 cents pp each way to Accra/Rockley Beach.

That is what I would have loved to have done, but my DH had knee surgery just 6 weeks before the cruise and had to vacation wearing a knee brace. Maybe next time.....

• 2 months later...

We are also trying to decide between the Boatyard & Rockley. We are the only ship in port on October 6 so maybe it will not be to crowded. My DH & I like the idea of the water toys & music & a lively place but I keep hearing how beautiful Rockley is. Is the beach at the Boatyard as pretty? I wish we had time to go play at the Boatyard but see Rockley! Guess we will have to go back so we can do both! Juli

• 3 weeks later...
We are also trying to decide between the Boatyard & Rockley. We are the only ship in port on October 6 so maybe it will not be to crowded. My DH & I like the idea of the water toys & music & a lively place but I keep hearing how beautiful Rockley is. Is the beach at the Boatyard as pretty? I wish we had time to go play at the Boatyard but see Rockley! Guess we will have to go back so we can do both! Juli

Cool Breeze - we will be with you on the Victory! :) My group of 4 has researched until our brains hurt...we have decided on Dover Beach in Barbados. I can't for the life of me remember why we chose that one! I know we want something sort of like Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel - sort of quiet, very beautiful, with shower/restroom facilities and food and drink available. Not wanting crowds or water toys...I HOPE we have chosen well; with so many ports to plan for, it's hard to keep straight what is where!

• 3 weeks later...

No brainer Accra , have them drop you at the last place at the end of the beach very private all they ask is you buy some drinks from them they have chairs to use plenty of shade if you want it, nice changing rooms. It may cost a few bucks more but WELL worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back & went to Lobster Alive. We tried to go to the Boatyard but we got there about 10:45 & all the umbrellas were already taken. Boatyard has gone up to $12 a person.

Lobster Alive is right next door & it was wonderful! We got 2 chairs, a nice big umbrella (it even had a hook to hang our bags so they didn't get all sandy) & 3 rum punches or other drinks. Watch out for the rum punch. They are delicious but very strong. We had 3 over the course of the day & we could definitely feel it. They have nutmeg in them.

Barbados was our favorite island. Gorgeous!

We went out on a small sailboat for two with Captain Pete for $30 for 45 minutes (probably longer) & it was incredible. Jetskis were offered really reasonable (can't remember the exact price) & banana boats were $20 each for 30 minutes. I really recommend the sailboat though!

Archived