Whats the breakfast and lunch like at Cagneys?

I am so stressed! We got an upsell, as did my mom, and are in an AC, my aunt and cousin did not. These menus look so good but I don't want to be rude and leave out family. Essentially in my "group" 4 of us have perks, 3 don't. Maybe I'll sit with them at lunch, sip a drink and then run off to Cagney's. :confused:

How about arranging breakfast or lunch from time to time in one of your suites and invite the rest of your group so they can enjoy - you can request any of the Cagney's items or go with the expanded room service menu for suites. Just talk to your butler.:)

Lately we have been doing repo cruises of 12 days or longer. While breakfast at Cagneys is always great and the menu offers enough to have variety, the lunch menu for that amount of time is far too limited and does not change from day to day except for soup. We love the peace and quiet of eating there. The view of the rest of the ship is great and the people watching ...priceless.

Every few days we ate at the main dining room or buffet for variety.

We did the same -- although when we did have lunch in Cagney's our standing order was the jumbo shrimp cocktail and grilled asparagus appetizer. Loved the berries for dessert, too.

That was my question. What time do they open for breakfast? Our Alaska cruise has one very early morning in Ketchikan. Do they open up earlier that day?

If I recall they opened slightly earlier some days but not by much.

If I look at my freestyle daily from last year (Fri, Ketchikan) I see the buffet opened at 5.30am which is earlier than normal:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2076733590105177827kYPYuk

Summer Palace opened 6.30am (Versus 7am normally) - so they open a little earlier on the Ketchikan day. If I recall Cagneys matched the Summer Palace times.

Cagney's breakfast and lunch last year were wonderful! Very peaceful in the morning--they had a small buffet or you could order from the menu. Lunch was great as well. We REALLY enjoyed the shrimp cocktail--the shrimp were HUGE. Service was always top notch.

Wish we were going to be in a full suite again this year--we are in an AF. But, no upsell offer yet. We sail Sunday, May 9, for Bermuda.

We'll be with you on the May 9th / Bermuda cruise...our second Dawn sailing in as many years, and this year we'll be bringing our soon-to-be-4 year old daughter Olivia with us. Finally a real family vacation.

Michael

I am so stressed! We got an upsell, as did my mom, and are in an AC, my aunt and cousin did not. These menus look so good but I don't want to be rude and leave out family. Essentially in my "group" 4 of us have perks, 3 don't. Maybe I'll sit with them at lunch, sip a drink and then run off to Cagney's. :confused:

When we traveled with our inlaws, we weren't joined at the hip. They liked to eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch and went on different excusions than us. We just met in the evening for dinner. Worked great!

That was my question. What time do they open for breakfast? Our Alaska cruise has one very early morning in Ketchikan. Do they open up earlier that day?

Last year we did have a very early morning in France (I believe) and Cagneys was not yet open. We went to the buffet instead (UGH!) that was an awful experience - simply mobbed. NEVER AGAIN! What I would do instead is order room service breakfast from your butler. That way you get your food exactly when you want and then can keep to your early schedule and you won't have to fight the mob in the buffet nor search for a table - which was almost impossible to find that morning.

When we traveled with our inlaws, we weren't joined at the hip. They liked to eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch and went on different excusions than us. We just met in the evening for dinner. Worked great!

We did very similar this past week. All but one night the 6 of us or 4 in some cases ate togther, but we did our own thing for breakfast and lunch as well as not always touring together. This is what we like about cruising. You can be with friends, but not be with them at the same time.

Nita

We love the peace and quiet of eating there. The view of the rest of the ship is great and the people watching ...priceless.

Every few days we ate at the main dining room or buffet for variety.

Hi Eileen...hope you're feeling better!

Let me tell you all a little story:

It was December 4th, 2009, Embarkation Day on The Jewel and a beautiful day in Miami. My husband and I were travelling with my parents and after a quick tour of the ship we decided to go to Cagney's for lunch. We were seated at the corner window which let's those in Cagney's see out, but the people outside can't see in. A group of 4 women were RIGHT outside and apparently had not planned ahead...2 of them decided to change into their bikinis....not 10 feet from my Father's eyes, I kid you not! They were shielding each other with towels from other people milling around poolside, but not us. One of them was quite spectacular, the other not so much:eek:! Wowee....it was quite an introduction to NCL for my parents:D!!!

Mimi

Last year we did have a very early morning in France (I believe) and Cagneys was not yet open. We went to the buffet instead (UGH!) that was an awful experience - simply mobbed. NEVER AGAIN! What I would do instead is order room service breakfast from your butler. That way you get your food exactly when you want and then can keep to your early schedule and you won't have to fight the mob in the buffet nor search for a table - which was almost impossible to find that morning.

I always prefer to go to the MDR instead of eating in the cabin. But room service sounds like a good choice for that early day.

Hello everyone, this may not be the exact venue to ask this question but DH and I will be cruising Hawaii on NCL (our first NCL cruise) and I have not heard the term upsell (which is mentioned a number of times on this thread) with all of our other cruises. I am imagining that NCL calls to sell you an upgrade? Someone mentioned that thier TA arranged the upsell, can anyone tell me more about this? Julie

Hey, if you bring a baby, some folks are going to roll their eyes and say their meal was ruined even if the baby never peeps. So, as long as you're proactive as you say, don't give the Grinches a second thought.

If a child acts up a little, I don't care as long as the parent is making an effort to get things back to normal. (FWIW)

I beg to disagree BS. On the contrary I have found that people come up to the baby, smile at him/her, the parents, and tell them what a beautiful baby they have. :)

Hello everyone, this may not be the exact venue to ask this question but DH and I will be cruising Hawaii on NCL (our first NCL cruise) and I have not heard the term upsell (which is mentioned a number of times on this thread) with all of our other cruises. I am imagining that NCL calls to sell you an upgrade? Someone mentioned that thier TA arranged the upsell, can anyone tell me more about this? Julie

Not the right place to ask but that's okay. We did an upsell once, and then decided it wasn't worth it, for us anyway. We have always been contacted by NCL not a TA. Go check out the other boards to see if you find more info. And congrats on your cruise to Hawaii. We have one planned for next year.:)

I beg to disagree BS. On the contrary I have found that people come up to the baby, smile at him/her, the parents, and tell them what a beautiful baby they have. :)

We've seen that as well ... and in some cases, have heard folks say that the baby is better behaved then some (many?) of the adults onboard.

Michael & Silke

Archived