Florence and Rome Timing Question

waterski12001

Hello,

We have hired ROME IN A LIMO for our day trips to these two cities but had a few questions I was hoping I could get some clarification on:

1. What time does the field of miricles open to the public

2. What time do the main sites of Florence open to the public

3. What time do the main sites of Rome open to the public

4. How long will it take to drive from Livorno to Pisa

5. How long will it take to drive directly from Livorno to Florence

6. How long will it take to drive from Civitiveccia to Rome

The reason I am asking is that our ship will allow disembarkation at 6:00 a.m. we want to start our tour with ROME IN A LIMO at 7:00 a.m. at the port but I'm thinking if we leave this early we will have to go to Florence first and Pisa on our way back to the ship because Field of Miracles does not open before 8:30?

For Rome, we want to arrive at 8 approximately 8:00 a.m. Is it about a 1 hour drive? and if we arrive that early will there be any tourist sites open to visit?

Thanks for all of your help,

Jarrod

Hi Jarrod,

Since you have hired a private tour operator for these two ports of call, I suggest you leave these concerns to them. Communicate with them the sites you wish to visit and let them compose an itinerary for you.

They will have up to date opening and closing information for the day you are visiting and will be aware of any last minute changes. Let them earn their fee for what they do best.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I agree that you have hired a very experienced driver who will know how to time things. Send them a list of the places you wish to visit or ask them for ideas if you need them.

In Rome if you get there tooo early they will drive you around to view points on hills overlooking the city which is still worthwhile.

You might google the varous sites to confirm when they open.

My experience is Jany is very good at setting up things and if you insist will arrange for the drivers to be there early and "on time." We were almost first off the ship in both Livorno, Naples and Citavecchia. Even though the driver works for you sometimes its best to think thru your priorities and order, sometimes between weather, crowds, traffic things may change and then its best left to the driver/guide to help you. They work for you and you can suggest and see what they think.

From Memory:

Livorno to Pisa: ~ 30'

Pisa to Florence ~ 45-60'

Florence to Livorno ~ 90'

Citavecchia ~ 60-90 ( we did it in 40' I think coming back :eek: )

YMMV depending on traffic.

If you are indeed an early riser and want to get the most out of your day than Florence first then to Pisa is what they generally recommend. Disembarking at 6am will get you to Pisa way to early to climb. If all you want to do is stroll the grounds and not go up or in any of the buidlings then okay. I think the only downside of the reverse is figuring out what time to "reserve" tickets if you want to climb Pisa. One can't spend too much time in Florence. Get there early, stroll Pointe Vechio, see the doors of gate of paradise and stroll the plazas before the crowds arrive is a good and smart tradeoff.

In Rome there are several stops well worth considering if you get ther really early. Trevi, Roman Forum stop, Circus Maximus ( nothing but a divot in the ground ), Pantheon are all avaiable as good stops to do early. The path will be a bit circular but if you are there very early a way to see things before the crowds arrive and linger longer. Forum I think opens at 9am ( check online ). My recollection if you roll of the ship at 7am the standard route is coliseum first.

I would have loved to be very early on our trip but had 15 people to round up.

Enjoy Italy!

Hello,

We have hired ROME IN A LIMO for our day trips to these two cities but had a few questions I was hoping I could get some clarification on:

The reason I am asking is that our ship will allow disembarkation at 6:00 a.m. we want to start our tour with ROME IN A LIMO at 7:00 a.m. at the port but I'm thinking if we leave this early we will have to go to Florence first and Pisa on our way back to the ship because Field of Miracles does not open before 8:30?

For Rome, we want to arrive at 8 approximately 8:00 a.m. Is it about a 1 hour drive? and if we arrive that early will there be any tourist sites open to visit?

Jarrod

If you're up for a real climb, get to Florence as early as you can so you can be one of the first of the day to climb to the top of the dome at the Duomo. It's an amazing climb, one of the best (and I've climbed a lot of domes all over Europe), if not the best. Later in the day it can be too hot and the lines too long, so being able to get there early is a gift.

Hello,

Jarrod

The best thing to do is contact your tour company and find out a few of these questions. But...

When we toured with RomeinLimo (http://www.romeinlimo.com) it took us 90 minutes exactly to get from Rome to Civitavecchia. Your tour company (which sounds like the one I used but I can't be sure with that name) should be able to take you to the sites at the best time. That is one of the beautiful things about hiring a private driver/guide.

The drive to Florence should take about the same time... 90 minutes, some times a bit less. Florence is a gorgeous city and easy to do on a day tour. I would have your tour company make you a reservation to see Michelangelo's David. You can bypass the line and go right in. It's incredible.

Both of these cities are doable with your private tour. There is a LOT to see and you will not see it all. But, you will see so much and it's really a fantastic way to see some of these cities along the Mediterranean.

You should be able to talk to your tour company about anything you are wondering about.

Enjoy!

Archived