renting car in Anchorage vs. Fairbanks- why such a price difference?

utseabee

We are considering dropping the cruisetour and touring on our own, so i went onto Expedia to compare flight and car rental prices, and was a bit suprised.

It is about $150 less to fly into Anchorage (and 6 hours shorter- flight plus layover time)

But the car rental prices are almost twice as much in Anchorage- over 5 days, the total price is $200 more to rent a car in Anchorage.

Does anyone have any clue why the higher price? and would somewhere in Anchorage besides the airport be less expensive?

I just did a quick google search, and there are some independent car rental agencies--that might be cheaper. Also, a quick check on Avis for a random week in July showed a savings of about $100 for renting off-airport. Of course, reduce that savings by the price of a cab (unless you have a free way to get downtown).

I've noticed a couple of things in general for car rentals over the past 1 to 2 years...it seems to me that fleets have been down-sized (or more people are renting), as it's been more difficult for me to find a good price when we travel, and we hardly ever get the category we specified. We're always getting "upgrades"--you know, the kind that you don't necessarily think are upgrades. Example: request a full-size car, get a mid-size SUV; fine for some circumstances, but less gas mileage and less comfort--both important when you're driving cross-country. Finding a decent car rental has become the most difficult part of planning our trips, now.

Supply and demand is usually the basic reason for price differences. Perhaps the demand for rental cars is measurably greater in Anchorage than in Fairbanks. A comparison of the number of passengers flying into Anchorage airport annually, as opposed to those flying into Fairbanks might give you a small measure of the possible difference in demand.

Supply and demand, plus the fact you are booking late. Booked last fall, car rental prices for pick up in Anchorage off-airport for pretty much all summer 2010 were $100-$200/week for a small car plus taxes. Now they are MUCH more than that, as you have found out.

It is supply, but unless you are going to fly Fairbanks/Anchorage, or not cruise a one way Fairbanks/Anchorage car is even more, and less availablity.

There are a couple independents, that I have used with no problem. You can also look at downtown pickups, and compare convenience.

If you are open to going independent, rather than a cruisetour, you probably are already ahead of the game for an Alaska visit, as you will be much more efficient and make better use of you time, which does have a significant "savings". So at this point if traveling this year, do the best you can, and perhaps, cut back some on lodging for savings.

Archived