Dock Overnight in Venice?

SK_CruiseCrazy

We are considering a 7-night Voyager of Seas 2011 cruise roundtrip from Venice. But, it arrives in Venice in the morning on day 7 and is overnight at the Venice port, before we depart the ship the next day. Most cruise ports are ugly places to dock, and not as special as being out at sea. I understand this overnight port option allows us to experience Venice without having to get a hotel post cruise. But, anyone have any input on this and the cruise port itself? Would it feel like we were staying over in an industrial area, or is my lack of European cruising coming through and this is really a beautiful option? Appreciate any and all feedback.

We are considering a 7-night Voyager of Seas 2011 cruise roundtrip from Venice. But, it arrives in Venice in the morning on day 7 and is overnight at the Venice port, before we depart the ship the next day. Most cruise ports are ugly places to dock, and not as special as being out at sea. I understand this overnight port option allows us to experience Venice without having to get a hotel post cruise. But, anyone have any input on this and the cruise port itself? Would it feel like we were staying over in an industrial area, or is my lack of European cruising coming through and this is really a beautiful option? Appreciate any and all feedback.

we only had 2 nights 1 day precruise in venice and loved every minute of it it is so totally unique take the cruise and go and explore venice it is amazing what you can see in a day why stay on board and look at the dock you might aswell stay at sea the whole time venice is a beautiful city and so easy to explore or you can book a day trip that will take you on a walking tour of venice and then a champagne boat ride around venice in the afternoon its history is facinating

Many cruise pax will fly in to a port, take the cruise and then fly out again. The cruise co is giving you the opportunity to spend a whole day in Venice, come back, eat then go out again to the opera or a concert and sleep on board thus saving a fortune in hotel and restaurant bills. They also can offer you a 7 night cruise but save fuel on the last day!

We are doing similar but staying an extra 2 nights in Venice before flying out thus giving us 3 nights to experience one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Would it feel like we were staying over in an industrial area...

To answer your question, yes, the dockyard is an industrial area.

However, when you're onboard and look out at the vistas, you'll see beautiful Venice before you. Just don't look down and concern yourself with your immediate surroundings and you'll be fine.

Lew

The overnite in Venice is a terrific deal -- lodging and boarding! Food and hotels in Venice is very expensive. The pier where cruise ships dock is 15 min walk from P. Roma -- the hub for Vaporettos and buses. Venice is a cruise pier not a cargo ship pier. Also the views from the ship in Venice are wonderful -- not at all industrial or ugly. We did B2B -- so had 2 nights and 3 days on the ship in Venice.

Most cruise ports are ugly places to dock, and not as special as being out at sea. I understand this overnight port option allows us to experience Venice without having to get a hotel post cruise. But, anyone have any input on this and the cruise port itself? Would it feel like we were staying over in an industrial area, or is my lack of European cruising coming through and this is really a beautiful option? Appreciate any and all feedback.

All great input - thank you!! I agree and take heart in all your points. Just like any cruise experience, it is what you make of it. Find the unique advantages and find a way to fully enjoy them!! Thanks again, fellow cruise mates!!

Archived