Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Host Anne - Thank you so much for the information, we are fedex-ing ourselves a care package with some spices and other necessities, and just found out a roll of aluminum foil had been included in the box :-)

nanauk ~ CONGRATS! You will absolutely love staying in a villa on St. John. Starfish, while the most expensive, has the best overall selections. Throw a box of aluminum foil in your luggage. It was the one thing we really needed and was outrageously priced there. :) On the subject of the Season Pass, it is for Trunk Bay only as it's the only place that has a fee in the park....it's $4 per day for the entrance fee ($8 per couple). The annual pass is $15 for the family. So you only have to visit Trunk twice on your visit to pay for the annual pass. I even buy the annual pass if we aren't going to use it more than one day. I look at it as a small donation for the wonderful national park we get to enjoy. I want to see it last forever. We mostly hung out on the east end of the island on our last stay. We love Shipwreck's Landing and all the restaurants out east. Nearly all are extremely casual. Shorts and t-shirts are the norm. There are only a handful of restaurants where you'd want to "dress up" and even at that it might mean a sundress for woman and a tommy bahama type shirt for the guys. We are like Augie. Eat most meals in the villa; dined out twice, I think. I'm so jealous! Hope you and Augie have a great time!

Hi Anne. This is quite a thread you have going here. Perhaps you will remember us, as you led us in November 2009 (Holland Eurodam) to Trunk Bay. We are gonig again in February on the Emerald Princess and are planning to do the same trip again. Perhaps we can return the favor you did for us, and lead some other first timers. Thank you again for doing this for us a year ago!

All, I have been on 10 cruises including the Med., and this trip to Trunk Bay still ranks right up there with the best places I have even been to. Anyone on the fence - DO IT - you won't regret it.

Anne, hopefully we'll run into you again some day and would look forward to buying you a drink for introducing us to this place.

Dave

If you have already checked out Trunk Bay , consider going to Cinnamon Bay. I was in awe when we went there.

Good idea. Maybe we will check out Cinnamon Bay. Does anyone know if they have any kind of showers to wash off the salt water? My wife really liked the shower area at Trunk Bay.

I'll begin by saying I LOVE St. John. We have been heading there for years (and taking fellow passengers with us) each time our ship docks in St. Thomas. I even love the adventure and anticipation of getting there (grabbing a taxi, arriving at the Red Hook ferry, watching St. John grow closer as we cross the channel). It does take a little bit to get there but for us, it's worth it.

There are several reasons I'd recommend going on your own (or with a small group from your ship): You can go and return on your own schedule; you can go early and beat the crowds (we always get off the ship as early as possible and catch the first available ferry); you'll save money. While a sailboat excursion will give you a sense of the beauty of St. John, I think the experience is better if you take the ferry to the island, explore and enjoy the wonderful views and beaches from on land.

To get there, regardless of where you dock, hop in a taxi and head to the Red Hook Ferry dock. The ferry to Cruz Bay St. John leaves every hour on the hour. If you make the 9:00 AM ferry, you'll beat the crowds and have more time on the island. It's only about a 20 minute ferry ride. When you get off the ferry there are bunches of taxis waiting to take you to the beach or on an island tour or both. It's about $6 per person from the dock to Trunk Bay with a couple of wonderful scenic overlooks on the way (my avatar is taken from the Trunk Bay overlook). It is a spectacular island.

If you want to rent a car, they run about $70 - $75 for the day and are typically small jeep-type vehicles. The drive on the other side of the road here so be prepared for that. If you just want to relax and enjoy, I'd suggest taking the taxi to the beach.

Trunk Bay is by far the most popular beach. It has the marked underwawter snorkeling trail and it is a beautiful beach (you can see it in my avatar). There is a $4 admission fee for Trunk Bay. If snorkeling isn't key, I'd suggest going to Cinnamon Bay, the next major beach down from Trunk. It, too, is very pretty, snorkeling not as good but no admission fee.

Trunk Bay and Cinnamon both have a decent beach snack bar (burgers, chix fingers, etc) and a place you can rent beach chairs (not the best shape) and snorkel gear (OK stuff).

There are many other gorgeous beaches along the north shore of the island. Hawksnest (has restroom facilities but not food/chair renta) and Maho (no facilities) are two of my favorites. Taxis will take you to any of them. Taxis are readily available at Trunk and Cinnamon all day long.

If you prefer a nicer lunch, there are also lots of nice restaurants back in Cruz Bay within walking distance of the ferry dock. www.stjohnguidebook.com gives you plenty of suggestions and they are all pretty good.

Heading back, I'd recommend you take a ferry that leaves Cruz Bay no later than 3 hours prior to your ships departuer. If your ship leaves at 6:00, I'd take the 3:00 PM ferry back to Red Hook at the latest. That will get you back on St. Thomas by 3:20 with plenty of time for a cab ride back to your ship. There are always plenty of cabs at Red Hook waiting to take passengers back to ships, too.

I should add that we, too, have vacationed on the island. We've been there three times for a week vacation in the past ten years. It continues to be my favorite island. Here's a link to photos from our trip to St. John last summer: http://stjohntrip2009.shutterfly.com/26?size=All&startIndex=0

Enjoy whatever you do.

Honestly have to say..... these are the nicest photos I have ever seen!!

Good idea. Maybe we will check out Cinnamon Bay. Does anyone know if they have any kind of showers to wash off the salt water? My wife really liked the shower area at Trunk Bay.

Yes - they do have showers at Cinnamon Bay. We used them on Saturday, after we'd snorkeled at Maho Bay, to rinse off before we went into town for lunch.

I forgot how far is Maho from Cinnamon Beach? We are still waffling about renting a car. We did it before and it was a blast! Isn't it Ms. Lucy's that has a great brunch on Sundays? We will be there in December on a Sunday. Thanks for the info.?

OC PAT

I forgot how far is Maho from Cinnamon Beach? We are still waffling about renting a car. We did it before and it was a blast! Isn't it Ms. Lucy's that has a great brunch on Sundays? We will be there in December on a Sunday. Thanks for the info.?

OC PAT

Maho is probably about a five minute drive from Cinnamon.

Miss Lucy's Sunday Brunch is legendary, although I have to admit to never having been there for it (not yet anyway!)

We had to fight "Heida" off for our food. It was so funny. I was reading reviews and I think Miss Lucy does not own the place anymore. The reviews were saying breakfast was good but several were disappointed with their dinners.

If memory serves me right Cinnamon Beach is about 20 minutes from Miss Lucy's, right? Is there an another beach near her place that is good for snorkeling?

Miss Lucy passed away, maybe a couple of years or so ago.

My favorite snorkeling spots closest to there are Salt Pond Bay, which is further down the road that you take to get to Miss Lucy's from Coral Bay, or Haulover, which is in the other direction at the Coral Bay "triangle", well beyond Skinny Legs out towards the east end.

I don't know that either would provide a significant time savings over driving back to Cinnamon however, especially if you needed to end up in Cruz Bay at the end of the day.

Hi St. John friends and Augie! Hate when I'm on the road for a week of work and don't get back to this thread. Visiting it always takes me back there for a few moments and I love that.

Dave (Packman) ~ of course I remember you. It was a GREAT day. Hopefully we will catch up on another ship and get to return. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you are thinking about taking another group of first-timers. That's awesome!

RVP Cruiser ~ thanks so much for the very kind comments about the photos. I have about nine of them framed and hanging in the guest bathroom. Love going in there!

Augie ~ how's the island?

For people who don't want to lay on a beach, I recommend taking a tour with a local taxi. They'll charge about $15 - 20 per person to take you on an island tour. You get to go to the other end of the island (which I love); stop at the Annaberg ruins (old sugar plantation - worth the little walk to the top for a view of the BVIs); a few other beaches you don't normally see and Coral Bay. If you get to Coral Bay, Shipwreck Landing is our favorite lunch stop.

Any idea what times the tour departs? Duration of tour? Thanks!

We are thinking about taking a taxi over to Red Hook to catch the 10am ferry and then taking the last CA ferry (5:45?) back to avoid the traffic back to the ship. We don't leave until 8pm. Does this sound reasonable? We want to spend as much time as we can on St. John without risking missing our ship. :eek: It might be worth the bumpy ride back to get the extra time?? How long is the taxi ride from CA to Havensight? Thanks for your help!!!

We are thinking about taking a taxi over to Red Hook to catch the 10am ferry and then taking the last CA ferry (5:45?) back to avoid the traffic back to the ship. We don't leave until 8pm. Does this sound reasonable? We want to spend as much time as we can on St. John without risking missing our ship. :eek: It might be worth the bumpy ride back to get the extra time?? How long is the taxi ride from CA to Havensight? Thanks for your help!!!

The net time from Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie is pretty much the same no matter which ferry you take. If you take the one to CA the time you would have spent in a taxi if you'd gone to Red Hook you'll just spend on a longer ferry ride. The CA ferry is a five to ten minute taxi ride from the Havensight pier, depending on traffic.

swdke ~ tours on St. John aren't set. You get off the ferry and will be met by bunches of safari taxi drivers who will offer you tours. Most charge about $25 per person for an "island tour." They probably last two - three hours. If we do just a tour (no beach lounging or swimming/snorkeling), we normally head north, do the scenic overlooks, stop at Cinnamon or Maho (it's worth a ten minute stop to see how pretty the beaches are), a visit to Annaberg ruins, head up to Bordeaux Mountain (be sure to stop at the Chateau Bordeaux overlook...one of my favorite views in the islands), and then down to Coral Bay to Shipwreck Landing for lunch. That's my perfect non-beach day on St. John. A stop back at Mongoose Junction for a bit of shopping or a drink before heading back to the ship is nice, too (you can walk from Mongoose Junction back to the ferry dock).

Edited by Host Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, We are a party of seven scheduled to arrive in St.Thomas at 8:00am. However, we are due back onboard at 3:30pm. :( Would love to try to make it out to St. John. If we take the 1:00 ferry back, would that give me enough time? My other option, is possibly going to Sapphire Beach. Was in Coki last year and loved the snorkeling. Not impressed with Megans Beach after leaving Coki. (although the characters were a little shady in Coki well worth the trip!) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!

We (me, my husband, and son who will be 10) are going to St. Thomas on our next cruise. We were there on our last cruise, we went to Emerald Beach and had a really nice time. A lot of people have mentioned that we should go to St. John and we were thinking of going, but not sure how to do it.

This is what I know so far:

• we can do one of the excursions that the ship offers to St. John
  • we can do a day sail with a private company on our own
  • we can taxi to Red Hook, take the ferry to St. John on our own

Any experiences and/or advice? I know there are pros and cons to each. Our main objective is to relax and have a really nice beach day. We have never snorkled before and I'm not sure we are that into it. Maybe we might want to try it for a little bit-not sure. Is it more hassle than it is worth to go to St. John? Should we just pick a different beach or go back to Emerald Beach on St. Thomas?

Opinions please! :D

First of all. Congratulations...St. John is awesome!!!! Ihave beeb going there for over 20 years...never on a cruise, I rent a cottage. However, I can give you some tips because I have met so many cruisers. If you are not into snorkeling too much, but still want to see the beaches, that is fine. Take the ferry from red Hook to Cruz Bay( 20 minutes, $7.00 per person). When you get to Red Hook there are tons of open air cabs, hop on one and do an on/off trip. Definitley get down to Coral Bay...the "local" side of the island and have lunch at Shipwreck Landing or Aqua Bistro...you will see cows, donkeys and chickens in the road! And maybe a pirate or two. Go to the ruins of the old sugar plantation and see a panaromic view of the entire VI and BVI from Drakes Passage. Do some shopping at Mongoose Junction in Cruz Bay,stop for a colada at The Beach Bar.....I canot say enough at St. John....I first went on a cruise to St. John many years ago and did not want to leave, it is a magical place...I hope you and your family have an awesome time!