Gratuity and Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges

Daleed77

I read a few questions on the board about whether or not the gratuity is included in the specialty restaurant cover charges, so I decided to ask them directly. The answer is yes - the gratuity is included. Of course, I would still add an additional tip if I thought the service warranted it or if I asked for things above and beyond.

I hope this clears up it up.

Dale

Email:

Dear Dale:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

In regards to your inquiry, the gratuity for the specialty restaurant is included in the $35.00 per person charge.

Dale, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

So if you are on a Med cruise would you tip in Euro or US currency. What do you think the staff would perfer. Thanks

The ship runs on US Dollars and it would probably be easiest to tip in dollars for the crew. With that said, I'm sure the crew appreciates whatever gratuity is given to them and that major currencies (Dollar, Euro or Pound) is no issue. Most of the staff lives in areas where these currencies are not used so they have to exchange at some point in any event.

Thank you Daleed 77 for clearing up this matter. At $35.00 per person for the Murano, the service would have to be extraordinary to warrant an additional tip.

Catalina56

A basic gratuity is included in the cover charge, but the cover charge is not all gratuity! Most of the cover charge goes to the cruise line to cover costs and profits. The portion which goes to gratuities has been speculated on in posts on these boards for years but no one knows for certain. I've read more than one post which indicated $5 but I don't know if that is factual or just a guess.

Consider the cover charge as including a "basic" gratuity. If you feel the service warrants it you should give an additional gratuity, but this isn't required. While we usually do, I believe the choice on whether to give additional gratuities is a personal decision based on one's customs, economics and mindset and there is no one correct answer for all.

A basic gratuity is included in the cover charge, but the cover charge is not all gratuity! Most of the cover charge goes to the cruise line to cover costs and profits. The portion which goes to gratuities has been speculated on in posts on these boards for years but no one knows for certain. I've read more than one post which indicated $5 but I don't know if that is factual or just a guess.

Consider the cover charge as including a "basic" gratuity. If you feel the service warrants it you should give an additional gratuity, but this isn't required. While we usually do, I believe the choice on whether to give additional gratuities is a personal decision based on one's customs, economics and mindset and there is no one correct answer for all.

Hi Larry:), as usual, your post is spot on!

• 3 months later...

Ok,

I have eaten at Bayou Cafe on the Coral Princess for $15 extra and I thought it was wonderful.

I ate at the Pinnacle Grill on HAL and paid $20 extra

I have eaten in Chops and paid $25 extra

But now, it is up to $35 extra. Is it really worth that much more? It seems that it is one thing to do a small upcharge to pay for better ingredients and also pay for the better service, but $35 seems to be pushing the envelope. Can the quality of the food be that much better than the main dining room?

Ok,

I have eaten at Bayou Cafe on the Coral Princess for $15 extra and I thought it was wonderful.

But now, it is up to $35 extra. Is it really worth that much more? It seems that it is one thing to do a small upcharge to pay for better ingredients and also pay for the better service, but $35 seems to be pushing the envelope. Can the quality of the food be that much better than the main dining room?

I don't think so, but if people weren't paying the surcharge they would have to lower it. Obviously someones paying it, but it won't be us.

Ok,

For the M class specialty restaurants, I'd say it is worth it. You are getting much more than a better quality meal, you are getting better service, a more refined and elegant atmosphere, and a smaller, more intimate space with fewer people. If it makes a person feel better about justifying the cost, figure $10 additional for the food, $10 for the service, $10 for the atmosphere, and $5 for a less crowded setting ;)

Value is a relative and subjective evaluation. It is different for different people.

We eat at the specialty restaurant a couple times each cruise and tend to treat ourselves to nicer wine that night so the cost is much higher than $35/pp. We'd continue to do this even if they increased the cover charge over the $35.

We know other cruisers who do the same and we also know other cruisers who ate there once cruises ago and haven't returned as it was not worth it for them. We've also heard of cruisers who choose to eat in the specialty restaurant every night.

I'd suggest you risk a few dollars and give it a try for yourself and then decide if you'll return in the future.

Ok,

Part of what Murano's is about is the ambiance and the atmosphere, and as others have said, its value and its enjoyment are subjective.

In my opinion, the specialty restaurants are SO worth it! I plan the cost of dining the specialties into my cruise budget. The meals I have had (particularly in Solstice specialties) have been some of the best I've ever had! The food is incredible and the service and atmosphere make them such a special experience!

Everyone has different priorities, but food that knocks my socks off is at the top of my list! I choose Celebrity because the MDR food is wonderful and the specialty food is unforgettable! $35 is a lot, but I figure that these restaurants would be so expensive on land, that I likely would never eat at them.

Archived