How far is the walk to bus in St. Thomas?

pjs9876

If docked at Crown in St. Thomas can an older woman using a walker walk to one of the tour busses? She can do the actual tour but I don't remember how far it is from the ship to the bus. She could walk the length of the ship if given enough time. How far is it?

Not sure where the Crown dock is located, but most ships dock at Havensight. All our cruises have docked there.... Princess, RCI, Celebrity, NCL, and the rest. If your ship docks there, the walk isn't too far to where the buses/vans stop. You'll have to walk to the gate exit and the buses are usually right there. Usually less than the length of the ship.

The problem I have noticed with tours is that the entire group leaves the appointed meeting area (say a specific lounge) to go to the bus and they go faster than I can walk. If I have the chance to speak to someone before the tour leaves and am given a head start I do better as I hate hearing the complaints about how I will slow the group down before the tour even starts. I have never been the last person back to the bus on a tour. I seldom take ship sponsored tours anymore for just that reason.

• 2 weeks later...
If docked at Crown in St. Thomas can an older woman using a walker walk to one of the tour busses? She can do the actual tour but I don't remember how far it is from the ship to the bus. She could walk the length of the ship if given enough time. How far is it?

I am an "older woman" who uses a large rolling walker (with seat when I need to rest). Last time at Crown Bay (on the Eurodam in spring 2009), I walked from ship around to another pier where I took the ferry to St. John (ship's shore excursion). (Total distance was the length of the ship plus about that same distance on shore.)

In answer to another comment, I talk to the shore excursion desk ahead of time and let them know that I will need to leave the ship about 10-15 minutes earlier than the rest of the tour group in order to get to the bus (or ferry) by the time everyone else does. HAL has always been very accommodating.

Yes, do talk to the tour desk about making arrangements to meet the bus on your own speed.

An issue for me since I have been inured is getting up the steps on the buses. I now can do it if I have enough time and the driver is willing to put out a step stool to help with the first step. Some do and some won't.

Thanks guys. I think my two senior ladies will use a scooter for poking around at the Crown dock. Then the scooter person will go back on the ship and the other will taxi to downtown (or take an afternoon tour). I think that will keep everyone happy. I am with the hubby that day trying to keep him happy! :D

Archived