Are Arts and Crafts a thing of the past on NCL Jewel?

scm200

We just got back from a wonderful CCL cruise (yes I split my time between Carnival and NCL). They had daily Arts and Crafts sessions (actually twice a day) on SEA days. Does NCL have Arts and Crafts anymore? When we sailed on the Crown, Dream, Dawn and Majesty (1st time) they had Crafts sessions, but on our last NCL cruise (Majesty out of Philly) they only had one session and then no more :(. They also did not have the "learning" sessions that we enjoyed on previous sailings. Does anyone know if these are a thing of the past? Or can I expect some of them on our June Cruise on the Jewel?

Arts and Craft offerings depend on the demographics of the passengers, and how much people participate in those types of events when offered. My advice to you would be to make sure the first such offering is well attended, and that will help ensure there are others.

Incidentally, the same can apply to almost every activity... whether it be a margarita tasting, karaoke, chef demonstrations or otherwise... The more people that participate, the more likely it is that the cruise director will schedule the subsequent events.

In the last year and half NCL has cut down on the on board activities such has crafts etc. One of NCL's Hotel Directors explained to me that was a conscious decision by NCL executive management as a cost savings--they could reduce the cruise directors staff etc etc with less activities as crafts. Of course these were the no cost to passenger activities-- things like drink tastings--behind the ship tours, bingo etc. where you pay are profit centers so they continue those.

BG

In the last year and half NCL has cut down on the on board activities such has crafts etc. One of NCL's Hotel Directors explained to me that was a conscious decision by NCL executive management as a cost savings--they could reduce the cruise directors staff etc etc with less activities as crafts. Of course these were the no cost to passenger activities-- things like drink tastings--behind the ship tours, bingo etc. where you pay are profit centers so they continue those.

BG

what a shame, Carnival had great crafts, a bit cheezy, but fun and they were pretty well attended - more and more people at each event. the ladies who taught the crafts were great, this was on the Freedom on an 8 day cruise, and there were 4 differerent crafts presented, all fun and provided by CCL at no cost to the passengers. the earlier ncl cruises had fun crafts that were not really expensive either and they had a pretty good turnout for them, i still have the silly ribbon rose i made as well as a keychain made with beads...

We just got back from a wonderful CCL cruise (yes I split my time between Carnival and NCL). They had daily Arts and Crafts sessions (actually twice a day) on SEA days. Does NCL have Arts and Crafts anymore? When we sailed on the Crown, Dream, Dawn and Majesty (1st time) they had Crafts sessions, but on our last NCL cruise (Majesty out of Philly) they only had one session and then no more :(. They also did not have the "learning" sessions that we enjoyed on previous sailings. Does anyone know if these are a thing of the past? Or can I expect some of them on our June Cruise on the Jewel?

I can't answer that for certain but last week on the Pearl they had classes on 3 days, late in the afternoon. Maybe they are just bringing them back.

Nita

excellent - thanks - i will be looking for those crafts on the Jewel next month. gotta remember my hiliter so that i can keep track of everything i really want to do

We just got off the Jewel this morning :( and they did have some arts and crafts. We attended one to make origami paper boxes and I know I saw a few others, but I can't remember exactly what they were. I think one may have been for tissue paper carnations. They definitely had a few though.

great, we are on the jewel next month - i can't wait for our trip - i will be taking some backup crafts to do in my spare time - maybe its time to start another pair of socks...:D

We just got off the Jewel this morning :( and they did have some arts and crafts. We attended one to make origami paper boxes and I know I saw a few others, but I can't remember exactly what they were. I think one may have been for tissue paper carnations. They definitely had a few though.

Hey minniemom - I just got off the Jewel today too and also mde the little paper box (who knows what I'll do with it - lol). It was the only craft I went to - know they had a Nickelodeon craft too.

Archived