"LIVE" From Explorer of the Seas / May 8, 2010

Hello everyone. . .I guess I spoke too soon earlier today, when I predicted sunny skies. . . Ooops. I was wrong about that. The weather was the roughest we have experienced so far. The skies are dark and cloudy, with heavy winds, and rough seas.

The photos below don't really describe how rough the seas are, but there are "Ooops" bags everywhere. . . My Attendant suggested that several of the crew were feeling "a little uneasy" as well. . .

I was invited to a Bridge tour today. . . The instructor for our tour was 1st Officer Robert Stake who was very kind to answer the many questions that were asked of him. He suggested that Explorer has reached the threshold for rolling (1°), and that the stabilizers would be extended.

It was a short tour, (30 min) but it was nice to be invited to the tour. We were advised that we could take any photos we wanted, but “No Touching”

We are rolling on to Cape Liberty at 18 kts, and we still have 280 nm to go until we reach Bayonne, NJ. We will pick up the pilot by 6AM, and he will guide us back into the berth at Cape Liberty.

I missed skating, but will try to make it to Studio B at 5 to see “Spirit of the Seasons” Ice show. . .

I spoke with Meg today up in the CL, and she suggested that she has had trouble getting connected. . I invited her down to the Connoisseur Club (Deck 5) where the signal is very good, and the speeds are fast ! I assured her that I wasn't taking up all of the bandwidth. . .

Here are a few pics from this afternoon. . . Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

It turns out that today was filled with rain, clouds, and rough seas. . .

W20.JPG

1st Officer Robert Stake from Sweden talk about the controls on the Bridge Wing

W27.JPG

Looking over the Bow from the Navigational Bridge

W26.JPG

Even the Pools are dancing. . .

W28.JPG

The seas are the roughest we have seen this trip. . .

W25.JPG

From the Sign on the Bridge :

May 8 Sailing Explorer of the Seas / PAX 3369 /CREW1193/TOTAL 3562

W29.JPG

Edited by Radio

Ahhh, sounds like our trip home from the 2/14/10 cruise when we came home thru a nor'easter. The decks were closed, the chairs tied down and pax asked not to take the stairs. Meg was with us so you'll have to ask her how this one compares.

Enjoy your last night at sea and thanks for all your hard work taking us along.

Cheryl

Radio, this is fabulous as always.

Did anyone note the arithmetic error in the total (guest + crew) count? :)

I noticed that immediately. I was going to post that someone can't add. Let's hope it's not anyone who's doing the navigating. lol

We also got a bridge tour in March when we were on Explorer. I never noticed the whiteboard with the passenger totals though.

Those seas looked like ours did for the first half of our last full sea day, except it wasn't that cloudy and gray.

Edited by BND

Hello everyone. . .I guess I spoke too soon earlier today, when I predicted sunny skies. . . Ooops. I was wrong about that. The weather was the roughest we have experienced so far. The skies are dark and cloudy, with heavy winds, and rough seas.

The photos below don't really describe how rough the seas are, but there are "Ooops" bags everywhere. . . My Attendant suggested that several of the crew were feeling "a little uneasy" as well. . .

I was invited to a Bridge tour today. . . The instructor for our tour was 1st Officer Robert Stake who was very kind to answer the many questions that were asked of him. He suggested that Explorer has reached the threshold for rolling (1°), and that the stabilizers would be extended.

It was a short tour, (30 min) but it was nice to be invited to the tour. We were advised that we could take any photos we wanted, but “No Touching”

We are rolling on to Cape Liberty at 18 kts, and we still have 280 nm to go until we reach Bayonne, NJ. We will pick up the pilot by 6AM, and he will guide us back into the berth at Cape Liberty.

I missed skating, but will try to make it to Studio B at 5 to see “Spirit of the Seasons” Ice show. . .

I spoke with Meg today up in the CL, and she suggested that she has had trouble getting connected. . I invited her down to the Connoisseur Club (Deck 5) where the signal is very good, and the speeds are fast ! I assured her that I wasn't taking up all of the bandwidth. . .

Here are a few pics from this afternoon. . . Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

It turns out that today was filled with rain, clouds, and rough seas. . .

W20.JPG

1st Officer Robert Stake from Sweden talk about the controls on the Bridge Wing

W27.JPG

Looking over the Bow from the Navigational Bridge

W26.JPG

Even the Pools are dancing. . .

W28.JPG

The seas are the roughest we have seen this trip. . .

W25.JPG

From the Sign on the Bridge :

May 8 Sailing Explorer of the Seas / PAX 3369 /CREW1193/TOTAL 3562

W29.JPG

Thanks Radio, really enjoyed your posts!! We'll be getting on tomorrow.

someone should check the math on the total count..........

Radio,

Just wanted to let you know that your live postings have been the highlight of checking the boards this week. It is always a pleasure to follow along with you and feel as though we are sailing with you. How wonderful that you cruise and share with the rest of us. Hope you took time to enjoy your trip! ;) Looking forward to your next live thread. Safe travels home, thanks again!

Kathy and Mike

Sorry. . . you must have a GS / OS / RFS / RS.

Diamond Plus members don't have access either.

Radio

;);)

I'm a Diamond Plus member and have access to the Concierge Lounge. I just returned from a back to back and went nightly to the lounge.

Ginnie

I'm a Diamond Plus member and have access to the Concierge Lounge. I just returned from a back to back and went nightly to the lounge.

Ginnie

Radio was referring to the special seating on deck for suite members only, not the concierge lounge.

Edited by counsdr

W29.JPG

Total on board should read 4562. They left off 1000 people! Curious Radio, where on the bridge was that white board? I have never seen it before myself.

You are doing your usual great job of posting. Thanks so much!

Ha ha . . . You are right ! :eek: I try to get a photo of this sign on every Bridge Tour. This sign was at the port side of the Security Table behind the Navigation Console.

See below. . .

Radio

;);)

W31.JPG

So glad you guys came back today. Yesterday was terrible here. I was on a water taxi to Citifield for Mets game and it was so choppy! Also could hardly see Bayonne from the Staten Island Ferry. Glad it was a good trip and Meg will have a nice sailaway today. Of course, I'm sure it's a bit cold for you coming back in this morning, it's been 45 in the AM every day this week!!!!

I just wanted to tell you I have read your posts everday and enjoyed the pictures. I went on expolorer in April and just loved the ship, trying to see about the 12-day cruise in November, checking prices. Just love to cruise. Welcome back!

Hello everyone ! We pulled into Cape Liberty at 6:45AM, and were tied up to the pier at 7AM.

The first Express Debarkation passengers left the ship at 7:15AM. It appears that debarkation will go very quickly today. Those who are boarding the ship today could arrive at 1100, and be processed smoothly.

The weather today is sunny, but a little chilly (50F). It is nice to have the sun today, though. We didn’t see to much sun yesterday.

I am in no rush for debarkation, as I am driving, and I will stay on for a while. The will make the last call for all passengers to the gangway by about 10AM, so I gues I will wait until then,

Except for the first day with Explorer leaving the pier so late. . . I have had a fabulous time, and I am sure anyone who has booked Explorer of the Seas will have a fabulous Cruise as I did.

There are many passengers who have not yet sailed Explorer of the Seas, and I hope that I have shed some insight on the beautiful Explorer of the Seas. The crew was very friendly, and for a 10 year old ship, I would say she is still as lovely as I remember.

Here are a few pics from our arrival. . . .

Stay tuned for many more pics when I get home. Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

We approach the Verrazano Narrows Bridge

TH10.JPG

The sun has greeted us today during our approach

TH9.JPG

We approach Jersey City on the left and Manhattan on the right

TH15.JPG

We approach the Harborview 911 Memorial, and the Cape Liberty Pier

TH20.JPG

We have arrived. . .

TH22.JPG

So long from the Explorer of the Seas (Until next time. . . )

TH3.JPG

Radio

Thank you for a great vacation..felt like we were right there with you... have a save trip home and look forward to more pics to come..

Will definitely tune in on June 14th :)

Diane

Edited by dee308