RCI BYOB tougher rules than Carnival?

A travel agent told me this. She says that if your cabin steward sees any booze in my room they will take it. This cant be true is it? We have only done Carnival but are thinking about taking a trip on the FOS. We had all sorts of rum runners in our room on Carnival ships and the steward never touched it. Please tell me that my booze on the FOS will be safe!!:D

there have been reports by folks that they have had their rum runners taken when they are in plain view. Apparently, it's because the room steward's supervisors told them to take it. Why someone would leave something they worked so hard to smuggle in plain view, I'm not sure. There are plenty of places to hide your rum runners, and it takes about 2 seconds. Since it is against the cruise contract that you agreed to when you boarded, no one can tell you that the booze you're bringing on will be safe.

BTW, I'm not telling you not to smuggle. I'm just saying be smart about it. :)

Last April on Mariner and the year before on Vision, my cabin steward saw my rumrunner, put them up on the shelf for me and brought me extra ice and glasses each day! Guess who I gave all of our left over booze to?!! He was so happy!

The answer is yes...with Carnival you can bring 1 bottle of wine/champagne per guest and/or you can purchase bottles of liquor to be in your stateroom when you arrive. RCCL doesn't offer either of these options so your stateroom attendant on RCCL knows you smuggled it, on Carnival you could have purchased it so I don't think they would really bother with it. From what I have heard RCCL is really going to start looking for smuggled booze and they can confiscate it so I would say, don't bring them like you are not supposed to and just buy your drinks...

On RCI, you can purchase bottles of wine through Gifts and Gear on the RCI website and have them delivered to your cabin before the cruise. We have ordered wine for our cabin and had it waiting for us upon arrival.

RCI is far more strict than Carnival. There is/was a thread about someone's being kicked off the ship for smuggling booze. I don't know if it's really true or not, but it was on here last week.

It's up to you whether or not it's worth it. I sure wouldn't want to risk being removed from the ship because I smuggled, but that's just me.

We've taken wine and beer board, then asked the cabin steward to empty the fridg so we could put beer & wine in there. They did with no problem and they brought us wine glasses and a cork screw. We also have left a can or two of beer at the end of the cruise for him.

I've never come across a cabin steward that is going to risk their tip and confiscate booze from a passenger.

This is what usually happens with a TA report or various reports that filter back from individual sailings........while rules are in place, it comes down to enforcement......and that can vary widely from sailing to sailing and ship to ship. I'm not sure there is a sure fire answer to your question....but have also never been on Carnival either.

RCI is much stricter and as another poster said rum runners were taken from a pax cabin. Who saw it and took it is under debate.

You may get onboard RCI with your stash and you may not.

Better to save enough money to buy drinks while onboard than to risk all of your alcohol being taken.:) Or just keep sailing on Carnival.

Why is it that people post on these pages, and want others to read their thread, when they cannot be bothered to read all the other threads about the same subject. No the answer is simple "You cannot bring dead horses onto cruise ships"

We have brought wine on board and when the stewart cleaned our room the first time, she brought us two wine glasses. We always buy drinks at the pool and shows and a wine package for dinner when we cruise (no guilt here) and if we don't finish the bottle, we take it back to our cabin.

As posted earlier, you can buy wine and have it delivered to your cabin. Our TA does this each time we cruise.

And as posted ealier, the cabin stewarts will not jeopradize their tips by pissing off cruisers.

I really doubt the cabin steward would take liquor from anyone. I'm not saying it never happens, but I think the people saying that s/he makes their living from tips are correct. HOWEVER, I have seen the housekeeping manager making inspection rounds or maintenance personnel entering cabins. They are not tipped employees. The housekeeping manager will look around the cabin to verify it was cleaned and possibly open the fridge to see if it is stocked, but wouldn't open closets or drawers. The cabin steward might be disciplined if liquor is discovered in the open.

For everyone's protection, put your alcoholic beverages in the closet, in a cabinet, or in a drawer.

Archived