Private Train to Rome?

maninmontreal

The following is offered on the Ruby Princess next fall. It is scheduled to leave shortly after 8 a.m. We will be in Rome on day when the Pope holds his General Audience and the Prefect to the Papal Household is holding a ticket for me but I must pick it up before 10 a.m Has anyone gone the 'private' route. I am thinking the $79/return might be well spent if it gets me to St. Peter's before 10 and not all stressed out.:eek: Any comments appreciated. Thanks.....

ROME ON YOUR OWN

After a short private shuttle ride, you will have the unique opportunity of reaching Rome on board of a Private air conditioned train which will take you to St. Peter's Station located only 730 yards away from the Vatican City.

I don't see what the significant advantage over doing the train on your own would be....

-- Are you worried about getting to the train station? It's very easy from Civitavecchia.

-- Are you worried the early train(s) from Civitavecchia will be full? I don't think I've ever read of anyone not being able to get on the train; however, you may not get a seat.

-- A BIRG ticket (good for your roundtrip train ride plus Rome's metro and bus lines all day) is 9.50 euro, making it about $65 cheaper.

-- If the cruise passengers can make a train shortly after 8am, I am sure you could make an earlier one (or at least close to the same time) on your own.

-- The train from Civitavecchia stops at San Pietro. Does the Princess train stop closer? I doubt it. (Perhaps someone else could clarify this point, as it's something I've wondered about ever since the cruiselines started offering a private train ride to Rome....) 730 yards from Vatican City does not mean 730 yards from Saint Peter's so it's still a bit of a walk. Sounds like the same station to me.

-- If you are late getting back to your meeting point, would they "hold" a private train for you? Doubtful, as other trains also have to use the tracks....

What, in your mind, is the significant advantage worth an additional $65?

We took this option Oct 09. I cannot remember the departure time from CV. The shuttle bus picked us up at the pier and dropped us at the CV station where we boarded the train. We got off at San Pietro and there was a guide whom we followed to the Basilica. If you choose this train option, remember the route (landmarks) the guide is taking because you will have to retrace your steps back to the train station in the afternoon on your own! The train is non-stop so a bit faster than the regular trains. There were 4 carriages -- 2 for Princess and 2 for HAL. The train was full. The return train is at a specific time they tell you on the train.

Why did we choose this? Primarily because of the assurance of the train being there for us for the return trip. While the train will not wait for you for the return trip, if the train itself is delayed or there are track problems, the ship will wait for this train.

The following is offered on the Ruby Princess next fall. It is scheduled to leave shortly after 8 a.m. We will be in Rome on day when the Pope holds his General Audience and the Prefect to the Papal Household is holding a ticket for me but I must pick it up before 10 a.m Has anyone gone the 'private' route. I am thinking the $79/return might be well spent if it gets me to St. Peter's before 10 and not all stressed out.:eek: Any comments appreciated. Thanks.....

ROME ON YOUR OWN

After a short private shuttle ride, you will have the unique opportunity of reaching Rome on board of a Private air conditioned train which will take you to St. Peter's Station located only 730 yards away from the Vatican City.

What, in your mind, is the significant advantage worth an additional $65?

Thanks for your reply cruisemom42. I guess I was hoping some CC'ers would have some insight as to the advantages or not of going with the private train. Your input will help me make up my mind.

We took this option Oct 09. I cannot remember the departure time from CV. The shuttle bus picked us up at the pier and dropped us at the CV station where we boarded the train. We got off at San Pietro and there was a guide whom we followed to the Basilica. If you choose this train option, remember the route (landmarks) the guide is taking because you will have to retrace your steps back to the train station in the afternoon on your own! The train is non-stop so a bit faster than the regular trains. There were 4 carriages -- 2 for Princess and 2 for HAL. The train was full. The return train is at a specific time they tell you on the train.

Why did we choose this? Primarily because of the assurance of the train being there for us for the return trip. While the train will not wait for you for the return trip, if the train itself is delayed or there are track problems, the ship will wait for this train.

Thanks for your input sultan-sfo Once you were dropped off at the CV station, did you have to purchase & validate your own ticket or was this done for you? Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply cruisemom42. I guess I was hoping some CC'ers would have some insight as to the advantages or not of going with the private train. Your input will help me make up my mind.

The only disadvantage would be the cost. As basis of comparison the regular trains cost about 7 Euros round trip and, as has been mentioned, the BIRG ticket (this covers round trip train and all day use of the metro and buses) costs less then 10 Euros. As to advantages it would save you a 4 block walk from the port entrance to the train station. As to the S Pietro train station (used by the private train) all the regional trains running from Civitavecchia to Rome also stop at this station, but then they do continue onward eventually reaching the main Termini station.

Hank

Like any other Princess excursion we had the excursion voucher delivered to the cabin. I cannot recall whether they gave us another voucher for the return trip on the train or we just had to keep the original voucher. There was a tour representative on the train. That guy also tried to sell us HoHo and other tours which we did not buy.

Thanks for your input sultan-sfo Once you were dropped off at the CV station, did you have to purchase & validate your own ticket or was this done for you? Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a bit of research for Sept.29th the day we are to be in Rome and have determined that including the Ruby Princess there will be five ships arriving for a port day as well as two to disembark and embark passengers. All but two arrive at 7 a.m with the other two arriving at 8 a.m. :eek: This is going to make for a very busy train station and quite a rush to get those early trains into Rome. Bearing this in mind I am leaning toward letting Princess handle the transfer and consider it a well spent $79.:)

I've done a bit of research for Sept.29th the day we are to be in Rome and have determined that including the Ruby Princess there will be five ships arriving for a port day as well as two to disembark and embark passengers. All but two arrive at 7 a.m with the other two arriving at 8 a.m. :eek: This is going to make for a very busy train station and quite a rush to get those early trains into Rome. Bearing this in mind I am leaning toward letting Princess handle the transfer and consider it a well spent $79.:)

I don't know if that is a major concern....I doubt a very high percentage of folks from ships go independently on the train to Rome. Biggest problem may be catching the port shuttle to the port entrance.

This is important to you, so I agree that doing the Princess transfer might be the easiest and least stressful option for you.

Be aware that before you can get to the Bronze door, you'll have to wait in the metal detector line. Also, unless the weather is bad, the audience is held outside and a ticket gets you a seat, but you don't need a ticket to stand.

We always get tickets and arrive early to get good seats. I bring along postcards to write while we wait.

This is important to you, so I agree that doing the Princess transfer might be the easiest and least stressful option for you.

Be aware that before you can get to the Bronze door, you'll have to wait in the metal detector line. Also, unless the weather is bad, the audience is held outside and a ticket gets you a seat, but you don't need a ticket to stand.

We always get tickets and arrive early to get good seats. I bring along postcards to write while we wait.

Thank you for this info D4. Postcard writing while waiting. What a great idea!

Archived