BCN-Taking Metro from La Sagrada to Placa Catalunya

From what I'm seeing on the Barcelona Metro map, we need to take the blue line and change over to the green line to get from La Sagrada Familia to Placa Catalunya. Is this the best way to get there?

How would we buy a single-use ticket for this trip? I've seen pictures of the red ticket machines and assume they have an English option (even though I do speak some Spanish), but will it give us an option to change lines with that kind of ticket?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question! Thanks for the help. ;)

We have taken the metro from Sagrada Familia to P. Catalunya but we just took the L2 purple line and got off at Passeig de Gracia and it was a short walk to P. Catalunya. You just have to make sure when you get up to the street that you go the right direction! It is not difficult to buy a single ticket. The machines have English.

Thanks, Eileen. I thought about taking the purple line because we wouldn't have to transfer trains, but wasn't sure which stop we should get off at - I was thinking maybe Univeristat would be good, then we could back-track to Placa Catalunya. Maybe the PdG stop is better though?

From what I'm seeing on the Barcelona Metro map, we need to take the blue line and change over to the green line to get from La Sagrada Familia to Placa Catalunya. Is this the best way to get there?

How would we buy a single-use ticket for this trip? I've seen pictures of the red ticket machines and assume they have an English option (even though I do speak some Spanish), but will it give us an option to change lines with that kind of ticket?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question! Thanks for the help. ;)

Just got back from Barcelona last week, and DH and I did exactly as you described (actually in reverse, as we were going from Plaça Catalunya to Sagrada Familia).

Was fantastic -- we purchased our ticket, went to the platform and the reader board said the next train would arrive in less than 1 minute 30 second. It was right. Made the transfer and train was arriving as we were approaching the platform. We rode the metro a handful of times and each time our wait for a train was less than 2 minutes. Spectacular and an extremely quick way to get around the city.

And yes, the machines do have an English option (and many other languages -- just hit the icon for the Union Jack flag for English). Single ticket purchasing will be quite obvious (the ticket machines are very user-friendly).

Just be aware that unless you're traveling out of the city (in which case you'd be transferring to another railway system, I think), you'll be in Zone 1. For some reason, this bit of info stymied DH and me for a few minutes before we found a map that (poorly) showed the zones.

We knew that between us, we'd be using at least 6 metro rides (2 people x 3 rides ea.), and at €1.40 per ride (total €8.40), the 10-use ticket at €7.85 was a much better deal, as we could share the same ticket.

Ah! GREAT information, thank you everyone!!

I couldn't find the Zones on the maps I was pulling up online, so therefore, I couldn't tell if I were going within 1 zone or between 2 zones. Thanks for that info.

So, it sounds like all I need is the one ticket to go to Placa Catalunya! Thanks so much! Great info.!

Also, be sure to refer to the lines as the letter/number combo, like L2, L3.

You need to look at the map and see the farthest stop in the direction that you are going, and that will be the direction train to take.

For example, if you were at Sagrada Familia, and wanted to get to Placa Catalunya, you would take the L2 Direction Paral-lel and get off at Passeig de Gracia and walk the 3-5 blocks to Placa Catalunya (# of blocks depends on which entrance you get out on :p),

Or you could take the L5, Direction Corneila Centre, change at Diagonal to L3 Direction Zona Universitaria.

The Line # and direction are important, the color is not.

The 'L' stands for Linea, or line, and routes with a 'T' are for a Tram route. 'R' Routes are for rail, and you wouldn't normally use them unless you are leaving the city, and some stations have both rail and metro options, although you may be walking several blocks underground within the same staion to get from one to another!

We have taken the metro from Sagrada Familia to P. Catalunya but we just took the L2 purple line and got off at Passeig de Gracia and it was a short walk to P. Catalunya. You just have to make sure when you get up to the street that you go the right direction! It is not difficult to buy a single ticket. The machines have English.

Yep ... this is the way we went back and forth too!!

You've probably already done this, but if you "google" the Barcelona Metro you can download great maps of the entire system. This is how we navigated when we were there last summer. Also, all good city maps (you can purchase at your local bookstore) have the metro info.

And, as "lkakers" said, the best deal is to purchase a "multiple ride" ticket and share it. Just slide it through the card reader, walk through, and pass the ticket back the the next person. It's a perfectly accepted practice!

Thanks - I finally found a street map of Barcelona with the metro stops on it online. I needed to see the actual sites and streets along with the metro stops to plan out our day.

Interesting about sharing a metro pass. We only need to make one trip, so for us, it's not advantageous to get a multiple-use ticket, but I'm sure the info. will help others here on the board. Thanks!

And yes, the machines do have an English option (and many other languages -- just hit the icon for the Union Jack flag for English).

That's a crucial piece of information. In Spain (in fact in much of Europe) english-language options are primarily associated with the UK (probably because of EU membership), and hence with the British flag symbol. Don't look for a US symbol!

Thanks - I finally found a street map of Barcelona with the metro stops on it online. I needed to see the actual sites and streets along with the metro stops to plan out our day.

Interesting about sharing a metro pass. We only need to make one trip, so for us, it's not advantageous to get a multiple-use ticket, but I'm sure the info. will help others here on the board. Thanks!

Can you please share the web site for the street map with the metro stops?

lkakers,

where do you purchased the T10 ticket? we'll be in Barcelona in less than 2 weeks and have opt to take the subway to tour instead of HOHO bus

In the metro stations there are red ticket machines -- you can purchase single use and the T10 tickets (along with some other options, such as "all day" tickets, etc.).

We found for our use the T10 was the cheapest, as the single use were €1.40 and the T10s were only €7.85 making each ride only €0.785!

This website has been helpful:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-map.html

here's one map:

http://www.movingtobarcelona.com/barcelona-maps.shtml

It's not the best, but it at least shows the streets and the metro stops (little red diamond with the "M" in it).

Thanks for the web sites. The second one is blocked on my work computer, I'll have to try it when I get home.

Thanks for the web sites. The second one is blocked on my work computer, I'll have to try it when I get home.

You're welcome! Also, Barnes & Noble has these great little city maps that fold up into a small square. They're laminated, have the metro system, streets, tourist sites, and much more information. They conveniently fit in your pocket. I've relied heavily on mine for Paris, London, Florence and Rome. I need to get one for Barcelona; I really miss having one for that city!

You're welcome! Also, Barnes & Noble has these great little city maps that fold up into a small square. They're laminated, have the metro system, streets, tourist sites, and much more information. They conveniently fit in your pocket. I've relied heavily on mine for Paris, London, Florence and Rome. I need to get one for Barcelona; I really miss having one for that city!

I LOVE those fold-up maps. I've used them in New York and London (bought my London one at Buckingham Palace, so it's a fantastic souvenir to boot!). I failed to get one for Barça, and I missed it. Anything else is so bulky and inconvenient, and takes so much longer to take out, use & put away.

BTW, my local AAA offices also sell them...

The local tourist office one on the Rambles and on the plazza catalunya have great small metro maps that you can fold in up and keep in the palm of your hands. Do be careful in the metro as there were a lot of pickpockets, especially if the trains are very crowded. It is interesting to watch the pp at work. We watched as a pp cut a purse of a tourist. We shouted out and they pushed away from the site as fast as they could and blended into the crowd. The poor woman did not know it had happend---until we said look at your purse.------it had a big cut in it. Just a warning as on any metro in the world this can happen. we love Barcelona and rode the metro often durning our stay. Great city.

The local tourist office one on the Rambles and on the plazza catalunya have great small metro maps that you can fold in up and keep in the palm of your hands. Do be careful in the metro as there were a lot of pickpockets, especially if the trains are very crowded. It is interesting to watch the pp at work. We watched as a pp cut a purse of a tourist. We shouted out and they pushed away from the site as fast as they could and blended into the crowd. The poor woman did not know it had happend---until we said look at your purse.------it had a big cut in it. Just a warning as on any metro in the world this can happen. we love Barcelona and rode the metro often durning our stay. Great city.

Yeah, that is called a "cut and run". I have a bag with security wire in it to avoid that kind of thing. I'll have to remember to bring that one when we go into port:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Purses___TotesLB379?Args=

We've traveled all over the Paris and London subway systems. Although we had been warned A LOT about pick pockets, we never had a problem. Always good to be reminded to be aware though.

I had clients that had over $900 Euros stolen from them in BCN after doing a tapas crawl. Seems the culprits were watching how much they drank and followed them along their route waiting for the perfect opportunity. The couple totally blamed themselves for the incident. They are world travelers and world backpackers and knew better, they just let their guard down.

Archived