Always cruised Big ships, what about the smaller ones?

hazels

We have cruised 3 times and it has been the grand class of ships CB and Emerald princess and are now looking to sail on Island Princess for the Panama Canal cruise. What is the pros/cons of the smaller ship? More motion than the bigger ones?

We have cruised 3 times and it has been the grand class of ships CB and Emerald princess and are now looking to sail on Island Princess for the Panama Canal cruise. What is the pros/cons of the smaller ship? More motion than the bigger ones?
ROFL! The Island Princess is actually LONGER than the Grand class ships, such as the CB (964' vs. 950'), just narrower, fewer decks, and with about 1,000 fewer passengers. What you'll notice is the ease of getting a table in the buffet at breakfast or lunch, the lack of long lines, and the much better cruise experience. Yes, there are two dining rooms but they are much larger than the three on the Grand class ships. Here's a photo I took on the Coral Princess (sister ship to the Island Princess) at about 12:30pm one afternoon. It was representative of what the buffet seating area was like every single day. Oh, and the buffet is at the front of the ship so all the tables along the front have a great forward view. You'll love the Island Princess.

610732002_CoralBuffetatLunch.jpg.7356d0a39a7064f2dd1245dc124b28af.jpg

Island Princess was out very first Princess cruise & it is NOT considered a small ship. Very ellegant, you will love her.

Jan

You will love the Island. She has everything that the large ships have without the crowds. When you said "small", I thought you meant the Royal or the Ocean. Those are the small ships.:D

No, Coral and Island Princess are now medium sized ships (and a great size). They are both Panamax (able to fit in the curerent locks of the Panama Canal).

The Ocean and Pacific Princess are small ships, and I like them very much.

When we were on the Coral Princess going to the Panama Canal I had to laugh at the people who said it was rough. You could feel the ship move a little but it was far from rough. I love sailing on the Coral. The Island is the Coral's sister ship.

ROFL! The Island Princess is actually LONGER than the Grand class ships, such as the CB (964' vs. 950'), just narrower, fewer decks, and with about 1,000 fewer passengers. What you'll notice is the ease of getting a table in the buffet at breakfast or lunch, the lack of long lines, and the much better cruise experience. Yes, there are two dining rooms but they are much larger than the three on the Grand class ships. Here's a photo I took on the Coral Princess (sister ship to the Island Princess) at about 12:30pm one afternoon. It was representative of what the buffet seating area was like every single day. Oh, and the buffet is at the front of the ship so all the tables along the front have a great forward view. You'll love the Island Princess.

Wow Pam, I haven't seen a restaurant that quiet since sailing on the original pacific princess.

The Island is about 90,000 tons. My idea of a smaller ship would be the old "R" class Renaissance shops.....:):):)

Jost my thoughts

Bob

Only 780 passengers or thereabout. Nice and cozy.

Wow Pam, I haven't seen a restaurant that quiet since sailing on the original pacific princess.
Tell me about it! It was almost bizarre. I kept on asking myself, "Where is everyone?" Breakfast or lunch, no matter what time or whether we were in port or not, I had a choice of tables.

Many years ago I went from a week on the Norway, then just about the largest cruise

ship, to a week on the Dolphin, which would have fit nicely on the bow of the Norway.

It's weird how easy it is to adjust. I thought I would feel claustrophobic, but somehow

both ships felt the perfect size. It's nice to have so much available on the larger ships,

but also nice on the smaller ones to see familiar faces over and over. So many times

we'd have lunch with really nice people, and never see them again. That won't happen

on a small ship.

You can't lose.

Tell me about it! It was almost bizarre. I kept on asking myself, "Where is everyone?" Breakfast or lunch, no matter what time or whether we were in port or not, I had a choice of tables.

We loved the Coral and would generally say one of the things we did love was the feeling of "almost" never feeling crowded but unfortunately on our 10 night canal sailing the Horizon court was always busy and filled with people. Always amazing how different sailings can be so different.:) Hopefully we'll have your exprience in the Horizon court when we sail on the Coral again next year.

Archived