Alaska NOT on a Budget

mahassiddasairy

My wife and I are leaving in less than 2 weeks on our decidedly "not-on-a-budget" Alaska vacation. We're doing a 13 night princess cruisetour, and sprang for a mini suite on the cruise portion. We have 4 excursions planned that involve flying - Mt. McKinley flight with glacier landing, Glacier Dog sledding (Skagway, via Helicopter), Extended Glacier Trek (Juneau, via Helicopter), and a Misty Fjords float plane - and none of those come cheap. We're also doing a nature hike with a private guide from Talkeetna (Denali State Park), taking the TWT in Denali, visiting Husky Homestead near Denali, and a biking excursion in Skagway. We're debating a coastal wildlife cruise in Ketchikan before the floatplane trip, but it's a little tight on time. We booked some of these through princess, but some on our own for better options/pricing (the private hike, the McKinley flight, the Misty Fjords flight).

I look at it this way. When we started researching for our Alaska trip, we identified several things that we really wanted to do. I have no idea when/if I'll make it back to Alaska, so why not do everything I can if I can swing it? We thank our lucky stars that we're fortunate enough to be able to afford everything we want to do.

I'm sure we'll have a great time, but who can say if our trip is "better" that someone else's because of the excursions we can afford? I have no doubt you can have a great time in Alaska even if your budget for excursions is limited. It just involves more compromise.

We travel in the "cheap seats" -- an oceanview cabin on a low deck. That way, we can spend whatever we want on shore excursions and other experiences. Not just Alaska -- any cruise. For us experiencing the destination is far more important than our accommodations. I've never seen a shorex that I've wanted to do, that I've said "oh that's too expensive".

Of course, the fact that you could not PAY me to get on a small plane helps keep the expenses in check :)

Has anybody here cruised to Alaska, just forgetting the expense and doing everything you wanted? If so, do you think you had a better time than you would have if you'd put yourself on a budget, or did the added expense make it less fun overall?

Most people posting on CC have no idea what it means to "forget the expense." Check out the small ship cruises that are all-inclusive. Now that would be considered forgetting the expense. :D

Check this out:

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV110706/suite/ms_master_suite/ship.aspx

Master Suite costs $16,999/person with the "special promotion" fare.

My wife and I are booked on a cruisetour beginning this June to Alaska. Our process was as folllows:

We set out criteria for when we wanted to go, cruiseline we wanted to sail on, order of tour (i.e., tour first then sail), and finally the ship. We then went to the tours and found the one we wanted on the Princess site. So far - not looking at money. That was the next step - finding the best price for the trip (Princess vs. TAs). Then we chose the type of cabin, deck, and location) we wanted. So, Cruisetour cost determined.

After that, we started looking at excursions we wanted to do - again not looking at money but what intersted us at each stop on the cruisetour.

Then came the costs.I set up an Excel spreadsheet with all items listed from when we left home until our return. I included cost for land meals, excursions, fixed tips on board, extra tips, no-included drinks, photos, gifts, car rental, airport parking, etc. For those items we had already made reservations or knew the exact cost, that amount was entered. All other costs were estimated and then pushed upward based on how expensive things are in Alaska (per comments on these boards).

After doing that, I had a pretty reasonable estimate of what it was going to cost. Just looking at the total sends a little fear thru you but I started early in the planning process and set out how much would need to be saved each month to make it happen. That is the key. Unless you have unlimited funds, decide if you can save that much each month to apply towards your vacation. If so, great. If not, you have everything listed so it will be easier for you to par back on the items with least interest for you until you have a manageable budget.

I guess you can say - yes, we're on a budget (abeit - a very large one, at least to us) but one that we were able to save for and have all of the expected expenses covered prior to leaving. Whether you have tons of money or are like us that don't, it's a good way to plan for a special vacation.

Sorry for such a long posting. Have a great trip.

I've been to Alaska on all different budgets over the years, and had a great time each trip...even years ago when I was on a college student's budget. The high end excursions (flightseeing) are wonderful, but there are many worthwhile free or inexpensive options as well.

If budget is not a concern then I highly recommend American Safari Cruises. I cruised with them in July 2006 from Juneau to Sitka. The boats are all luxury yachts with approx a 2 to 1 passenger to crew ratio. The crew includes a naturalist who serves as your guide, a gourmet chef and pastry chef. The captain was always around and very knowledgeable as well. There are no add-ons except for the gratuity to the crew (when I went this was about $500 per passenger). The bar is always open and if the bartender isn't around at the moment, then help yourself.

There are no excursions other than the included hikes, kayaking and zodiac rides each day. They did take us to Mendenhall Glacier and the fish hatchery in Juneau before we got on the boat. One of the best things is that they have permits to spend the night in Glacier Bay National Park. It was absolutely amazing to be there in the hottub at around midnight with no other people or boats around. We also kayaked and hiked in the Park.

Another nice feature is that all movement is done during the day so that you don't miss any scenery. The engines are shut as you anchor in a secluded cove each night which makes sleeping very easy. The itinerary is flexible and our evening anchorage was changed one night because we had stumbled upon pods of humpback whales bubble net feeding and spent hours with the whales as other boats sped by without even stopping. A remarkable experience when the whales choose to approach you and dive under the zodiac.

A real comraderie developed between passengers and crew by the end of the cruise. It was truly an amazing experience and sold me on only small boat cruising.

I don't go wild spending money in Alaska because I know my way around. I feel that most visitors are over charged and under served.

If you spend like a drunk on Saturday night, you make it more difficult for other people who have fair prices.

Anything that involves a flight in any country will almost always enhance your trip (flight over / into the Grand Canyon is a good example). That being said Alaska is very cool (no pun intended) no matter how you view it. 1 - The hikes, which are usually FREE, are one of the most overlooked adventures on any stop in Alaska. The views these hikes offer and the chance to see uncrowded areas seldom visited are everywhere and available to everyone in almost any physical condition. 2 - Just a short walk (or push / ride if in a wheelchair) from the ships dock in Ketchikan of maybe 300 yards, will put you at some really cool private docks for the sea planes where you can enjoy the extreme changes of Alaskan Tides (often 15 - 20 feet per change - 4 times a day). I have never been refused by the owners of any dock in Alaska to stroll out on the pier or floating dock to see the critters on the poles that hold the buildings or structures in place. Pretty cool stuff for the price (free). We seldom travel anywhere that we don't hire someone to fly us around the area but sometimes the FREE stuff is just or almost as neat.

There are hundres of other really fun and interesting things to do in Alaskan ports that are also Free or cost very little, but just like buying a car usually the more you spend the better the ride (usually :D).

Just wanted to comment that we are not on a budget for our July cruise so we are doing everything we want to but it doesn't mean we don't try to save money on those things if we can. We picked our cruise based on the itinerary and booked a balcony guarantee. We aren't excluding any excursions based on cost but we use the Alaska Tour Saver book if it's available for our excursion and got several early booking discounts for planning early. We are not on a budget but travel smartly so we don't throw money away. The total cost so far is $8,500 for 2 people. Includes cruise, 4 nights pre-cruise, excursions, and airfare. Doesn't include additional meals and spending money.

Like Maverick6969 and Cruisinggoddess, we do the same thing when planning a rather large vacation. Plan way ahead, create a spreadsheet with expenses to include everything we want to do on land pre/post and in ports, and then look for the most cost effective way to do all those things. We are booked for July 2011 and are planning 5 days pre and 2 post. We will pre-pay for a lot of independent tours and the cruise and save for the rest. For 3 of us, including a 10 year old, I am up to around 10K including all meals, cars, planes, luggage, etc. I do enjoy the thrill of a bargain/discount but will not sacrifice an activity if I don't get one.

Have fun planning...I do....I'm rather obsessed!

Want to add to my previous post: Last year in Alaska, I just did free or low-cost stuff, and still had a great time. I had no burning desire to do anything other than visit the ports and "hang out" last time, and it was still great. The entire amount I spent last year on onshore entertainment was under $100.

Plan way ahead, create a spreadsheet with expenses to include everything we want to do on land pre/post and in ports, and then look for the most cost effective way to do all those things.

I think this is the key. Figure out what you want to do first and then look for a way to save on it. Too many people do it the other way around: get a coupon and only do things based on the coupon. It can really limit your options when you go that route.

Since all of our cruises, for the most part, have been with our three children, we've always felt the need to balance the budget for excursions (and cabin choices). Five times $300 gets painful really fast! On the other hand, there are times when the $120+ excursions are what makes the trip. That's what makes Cruise Critic so valuable as a trip planning asset.

I would rather have two trips with some compromises, than one trip with no consideration for cost, but I can completely respect those who choose the latter.

My family have been to Alaska in 1998 on RCCL'S Legend of the seas on a budget. We had a great time but did felt we missed a lot. The weather actually prevented us from seeing Hubbard Glacier and did not get to do all those amazing helicopter trips.

This year we actually booked on this cruise line (Regent cruises) http://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV11070...uite/ship.aspx

We booked the base cabins/suites- which are 300 sq feet and felt with all the inclusives it was a great price(not the $16000 a person). We paid a little under next year's price for H suite http://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV110608/fares.aspx in middle of August.

The air is included in the cruise, as are the tips, and they have a lot of free excursions. We did upgrade our excursions and paid a fraction of the price for the helicopter and flight trips. While we still go on RCCL, we also appreciate Regent's service and enjoyed some wonderful trips with them in other parts of the world.

We heard great things from the Regent cruisers(check out the CC Regent board) last year who went to Alaska. For us the service, inclusives, small ship (600 people) and dates of departure (mid week- avoiding the large crowds in ports of call) were selling features this time around. The excursions in the past with Regents are amazing- they rarely fill the buses and always had stops with snacks and drinks (even if they never mentioned it was included).

For what my family wanted to see this time around Regent pricing actually was on par with Celebrity or RCCL. We did consider Cruise West but felt it was not right for our family but heard that do a great job in Alaska too.

Since all of our cruises, for the most part, have been with our three children, we've always felt the need to balance the budget for excursions (and cabin choices). Five times $300 gets painful really fast! On the other hand, there are times when the $120+ excursions are what makes the trip. That's what makes Cruise Critic so valuable as a trip planning asset.

I would rather have two trips with some compromises, than one trip with no consideration for cost, but I can completely respect those who choose the latter.

Here here- we travel with either 4 or 5 and some of these wonderful sounding excursions get outrageous really really quickly!

With no budget concerns, my ONLY choice would be NOT being on any regular cruiseship, and it would definately be on Lindblad, Cruise West etc. etc.

I ALWAYS do the touring I want, without any concern for budget. Always several flightseeing trips, boat tours, etc. MY savings is with the cheap cabin- which is my preference- having been on 64 cruises- it is transportation and meals- only for me. I am not "inpressed" by any cruiseship. :) I am fortunate, I do not pay for air. So I travel to Alaska every year- along with many other trips- averaging about 12 weeks/year.

It would be very difficult for me to throw caution to the wind and do whatever I want - regardless of the cost. As 5waldos said, there is definitely the "thrill of the [bargain] hunt" factor, and all of my trips involve trying to get the best bang for the buck. We did the most expensive excursions on our first Alaska trip in 2007: Misty Fjords flight, whale watch, rail/bus trip to Carcross, Kenai Fjords cruise, Wrangell Mountain Air flight to and from McCarthy. I did less expensive excursions on subsequent Alaska cruises. Would I spend $500/person for a helicopter ride to go dog sledding? Not unless someone else were paying!

That's my travel philosophy as well.

I did a cruise and land tour with Princess almost three years ago and took my two "children". At the time they were 16 and 21. I figured it would be the last real family vacation and wanted it to be really nice. So I was careful with some things and others I didn't worry about.

My husband and I got a mini suite on the Sapphire and it was wonderful. My kids had an inside cabin down the hall and that saved a little money. I figured one cabin with a balcony would be enough. The mini suite had plenty of room for all of us.

One the ship we didn't spend a lot of extra money. We brought a little booze on board with us but we aren't huge drinkers. We didn't do any of the special dining rooms but we did eat in all of the regular ones since we had anytime dining (which I really liked).

In Skagway we rented a car from Avis for under $100.00 and had a great time. I know it's a bit more now but still a bargain when you have 4 people.

In Ketchikan we did a zip line because my kids really wanted to. In Juneau my husband and son did a plane ride to salmon fish. This was really expensive but it was one of the highlights of their trip. My daughter and my helicopter ride to a glacier got canceled due to weather.:(

Even with being slightly careful the whole trip cost 16 thousand dollars. This included air fair and an extra night in Anchorage. So it was very expensive but I think worth it.

Archived