Transportation from pier to Vancouver airport

Caribensun

I guess it depends on how many people, how much luggage, cost etc. Personally I don't care where I am I'm either taking a cab or arranging for a car and driver, I just find it easier and less hassle.:)

What is the best transportation and cost from the pier to the airport in Vancouver, BC VYR?

Thank you!

Seadeck2

YVR to downtown, is 24 minutes on Skytrain. It leaves from the top floor of the parking garage at the airport, and terminates at Waterfront Station, about 2½ blocks from Canada Place. Cost for single tickets is $3.75 weekday $2.50 evenings/weekend, plus a $5/ea surcharge for single tickets purchased at the airport. If you intend to be in Vancouver for any amount of time, you can get a book of 10 two-zone tickets in the airport itself at 7-11 or Pharmasave, for $31.50, and no surcharge is applied on those tickets and those tickets will get you to almost any tourist destination as well on the local transit system like Stanley Park, Grouse Mt or the Capilano Suspension bridge.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation

I guess it depends on how many people, how much luggage, cost etc. Personally I don't care where I am I'm either taking a cab or arranging for a car and driver, I just find it easier and less hassle.:)

My DH and I used to feel the same way, but recently have been trying trains/subways from airports into the cities we are visiting, and it is now part of our adventure. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be hauling luggage around at midnight.

Viv

My DH and I used to feel the same way, but recently have been trying trains/subways from airports into the cities we are visiting, and it is now part of our adventure. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be hauling luggage around at midnight.

Viv

Fully agree with you to a point. Love to take the trains/subways when we're in town for a few days, but when you're just arriving in a strange city and it's late and you're tired we just want to have a car and driver waiting to take us to the hotel.:)

FYI, taxis in Vancouver tend to be "downsized". I recall that most are Toyota Camrys or similar. Two adults with luggage is probably the limit and two couples will probably need separate cabs.

Also the transit passes and tickets are available at automated machines at the stations. The machines take credit and debit cards, so Canadian cash is not required for that purpose.

FYI, taxis in Vancouver tend to be "downsized". I recall that most are Toyota Camrys or similar. Two adults with luggage is probably the limit and two couples will probably need separate cabs.

Also the transit passes and tickets are available at automated machines at the stations. The machines take credit and debit cards, so Canadian cash is not required for that purpose.

Priuses and Corollas

Priuses and Corollas

and they are small...3 pax with luggage is max. However about 7% of Vancouver's taxi fleets does remain in mini-vans that will handle 4 pax with lots of luggage...you may have to wait in a cab-line for a an extra few minutes for one but that is about it.

I was speaking with our cabbie the other morning on the way out to YVR and he told me that the new Canada Line has impacted their business by about 50% and they often have to wait at YVR for up to 2 hours for a return fare, so many just return to downtown empty.

and they are small...3 pax with luggage is max. However about 7% of Vancouver's taxi fleets does remain in mini-vans that will handle 4 pax with lots of luggage...you may have to wait in a cab-line for a an extra few minutes for one but that is about it.

I was speaking with our cabbie the other morning on the way out to YVR and he told me that the new Canada Line has impacted their business by about 50% and they often have to wait at YVR for up to 2 hours for a return fare, so many just return to downtown empty.

Yeah what "she" said. Sorry could not help myself:D

• 2 weeks later...
"Best" is very subjective.

The Skytrain, next to the cruise ship terminal, goes to the airport (YVR).

CAD 3.50 weekdays, CAD 2.50 Sat & Sun and takes 26 minutes.

All the info is here, http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx

A cab costs about $30 to $35, and there will also be shuttles.

There are 3 of us and each of us will have a carry on aand 1 peice of luggage, is the skytrain doable? What is the difference in a shuttle and a cab? Not really clear on what you mean by shuttle. I rarely travel.

There are 3 of us and each of us will have a carry on aand 1 peice of luggage, is the skytrain doable? What is the difference in a shuttle and a cab? Not really clear on what you mean by shuttle. I rarely travel.

Yes, you can take the Canada Line from YVR to Canada Place or the other way around with the luggage you have described...the cars have been designed for this. You do however have to be able to handle your luggage on your own and have a resonable degree of mobility as there is no one to help you. Vancouver no longer has an airport shuttle service. A cabfare will run you $30/$35 dollars.

There are 3 of us and each of us will have a carry on aand 1 peice of luggage, is the skytrain doable?

If you can roll your luggage through the airport, you'll be fine on Skytrain. It's all level entry, roll-on roll-off

Archived