Is May Too Early for Baltic Cruise?

Hi, we're considering a Baltic cruise next year. I realize weather can't be predicted, but as a rule, is it too cool to consider a cruise in May? Is June a safer bet? Any suggestions? Thanks!

There have many earlier posts on this subject. Your "weather odds" would be better in later June, July and early August. Here are some specifics for a couple of the key cities in the Baltics. As they say on car mileage numbers, averages will vary.

Copenhagen, averages, per http://www.wunderground.com

May: 49/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

Stockholm, average, per http://www.wunderground.com

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Does this help? You can more specific data for each date from the above website. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi, we're considering a Baltic cruise next year. I realize weather can't be predicted, but as a rule, is it too cool to consider a cruise in May? Is June a safer bet? Any suggestions? Thanks!

You cannot say generally yes or no.

Like now it's a very cold May for the Western Part of the Baltic Sea and now very hot in the Eastern Part of the Baltic Sea.

Last year it was very nice and warm in May and it goes up to the 30°C.

Climate changes so fast and especially May can be a great month but also a bad month to go.

It's like an gamble: no risk - no fun.

You will not find a 100% "safe" month in the Baltics as this area is too large.

bee-line: Copenhagen - St. Petersburg 1,150 km (like Ottawa - Thunder Bay)

or London - St. Petersburg 2,100 km (like Toronto - Regina)

or Amsterdam - St. Petersburg 1,800 km (like Winnipeg - Montréal)

Guess how stable is the weather from one end to the other all month long.

Regards

HeinBloed

As was said so many times, the weather is unpredictable. That said, May would not be the best time to travel to the Baltics if you don't like cool, cool weather. yes, you may get lucky and it will be warmer, but if you have the time and don't mind a bit higher price, why not make sure the weather will be warmer by going a bit later. Cruise lines advertise those May rates as teases. They are very low but you may just suffer with bad weather. A Baltic cruise is a once in a lifetime event, so I would wait another month until some warmth settles over the area.

Cheers

Len

It's definitely a gamble with the weather, but May can be a very nice month in this part of the world. It's our spring, so the flowers are coming out, and everyone is in happy spring moods. And the tourist season is just starting, so people are generally fresh and excited.

However, you have to be ready for cold weather. Although it's an extreme case, it actually snowed in Oslo in mid-May two years ago! But last year was sunny and pleasant.

Generally I would suggest late May if possible. But if you'll be able to enjoy yourself even if the weather is cold, and the price/schedule of the May sailing is a lot better, I would say go for it. Just don't go in expecting nice weather!

The first large ship of the season arrived in St Petersburg yesterday morning, the Eclipse. With it arrived great weather, 25-27C and blue skies but last week was all overcast cool and thunderstorms. Two weeks ago we had snow fall.

Averages mean nothing in maritime climates. A day with extremes of -10C and +40 averages to +25C, a very nice touring temperature according to the average charts, yet at any particular time of that day would be uncomfortable. The key is being prepared with light multi-layer clothing that can be shed or added to as the need arises. One of the layers should be water resistant,it can rain at any time. I would not bring an umbrella however, it is too much of a hassle to deal with. A thin shell with a hat or ask if your tour operator supplies rain coats, at least one does I know of but most would provide them is asked before hand.

Thanks everyone for your input. We have similar Spring weather - a really mixed bag of tricks. We enjoy travelling to Europe in May and have enjoyed great weather in the past three years. Maybe a safer bet may be Mid or Late June for a Baltics cruise.

• 7 years later...