Parking options in Manhattan

IndyViva

You do not have to park at the terminal. But at $30/day it is actually reasonable for NY. I know others have found offsite parking at other locations on the West Side, but no one has posted about finding a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a way to do it. Someone had mentioned parking at Weehawken Ferry terminal and taking the ferry to the midtown manhattan stop. It's only $10 a day to park at the Weehawken ferry terminal and only like $10 each way for the ferry. So I'm saving $20 a day, and only spending an extra $20 for the ferry ride. I'm going to drop the rest of my party off at the cruise terminal, and then drive across the river to Weehawken, hop on the ferry and join them on the boat. Then when we come back, I'll take the "no luggage" disembark, and get the car while the rest of the group gets the luggage.

Takes a little planning and some extra time, but it saves me $120!

I found a way to do it. Someone had mentioned parking at Weehawken Ferry terminal and taking the ferry to the midtown manhattan stop. It's only $10 a day to park at the Weehawken ferry terminal and only like $10 each way for the ferry. So I'm saving $20 a day, and only spending an extra $20 for the ferry ride. I'm going to drop the rest of my party off at the cruise terminal, and then drive across the river to Weehawken, hop on the ferry and join them on the boat. Then when we come back, I'll take the "no luggage" disembark, and get the car while the rest of the group gets the luggage.

Takes a little planning and some extra time, but it saves me $120!

Of course your original question specifically asked about parking options in Manhattan...;)

As far as your disembarkation plans are concerned, what is "no luggage" disembarkation? The earliest disembarkation is self disembarkation, where you carry your own luggage off the ship. You presumably are going to want to disembark early, because you have to get to the ferry terminal, take the ferry to Weehawken, pick up your car and drive back through the Lincoln Tunnel to the cruise terrminal to pick up the rest of your party...which is going to take some time.

To further complicate matters, members of the same family sharing the same last name and living at the same address are technically supposed to go through customs and immigration together, using a single customs declaration form. If you try to go through yourself, carrying no luggage, it might cause a problem with CBP.

I imagine that people who choose to park in Weehawken usually just park there and take themselves and their luggage across the river by ferry.

I think we resolved the question about parking in Weehawken at the ferry - the answer was yes. But did we resolve the price? Also, wasn't there something amount letting them know that you were leaving your car there?

Don't forget the extra $8 toll through the Lincoln Tunnel.

I think it is worth $120 to have the convenience of parking your car at the pier. It seems like you are paying out much more in time and stress by having to schlepp to Jersey and back, sit in traffic and then deal with the madness of returning to the cruise pier and sitting in the traffic line there. Between the walk to the ferry terminal, the ride over and the return you will add at least an hour and a half to your journey.

Jonathan

I think we resolved the question about parking in Weehawken at the ferry - the answer was yes. But did we resolve the price? Also, wasn't there something amount letting them know that you were leaving your car there?

Don't forget the extra $8 toll through the Lincoln Tunnel.

The way I understand it from Port Authority/NY Waterway-IF long term parking becomes a problem AGAIN with commuter parking, they will AGAIN cut off long term parking. Who knows if or when this may happen. The ferry is designed for commuters, NOT long term parking.

Not only will the OP have to pay the tolls through the Lincoln Tunnel ($16.00 for both trips), but they will have to carefully co-ordinate the ferry schedule AND get to/from the ferry terminal from the West Side piers (another $15.00 or so charge each way unless they are walking or trying to figure out the shuttle bus, which involves MORE co-ordination). And of course, the OP has not figured in the TIME it is going to take to do all this shuffling.

Could EASILY be an hour each way-that is 4 hours of traffic time. Just an example-Friday, sent our little truck to Jersey through the Lincoln. Don't know what the problem was but it took him 96 minutes to go from Little West 14th St to Exit X in Secaucus. He was PO'd to say the least-since I sent him that way (the traffic cams showed the tunnel was clear when I told him to go that way). He kept saying he wanted to go over the GW up Broadway. I was kissing butt all afternoon. And additionally, sent one of my big trucks from JFK to Deer Park Friday afternoon (3:20). Knew the LIE would be backed up, so sent him down Conduit to Sunrise to Deer Park. Took him almost 3 hours to drive 25 miles (he called me at 6PM as he was pulling in the driveway-just when they were closing. Thank goodness, they agreed to load him).

OP-you REALLY have no idea how crowded and congested the traffic can be with one little glitch. You also have NO idea whether they will allow long term parking (forget what the website says-they can change it at any time). I can't see how you are going to save much money-you forgot to add the intra NY taxi costs, the bridge tolls, the TIME and leaving your family standing on the sidewalk for possibly a couple of hours both ways. I personally think this is a totally wacky idea.

The way I understand it from Port Authority/NY Waterway-IF long term parking becomes a problem AGAIN with commuter parking, they will AGAIN cut off long term parking. Who knows if or when this may happen. The ferry is designed for commuters, NOT long term parking.

Not only will the OP have to pay the tolls through the Lincoln Tunnel ($16.00 for both trips), but they will have to carefully co-ordinate the ferry schedule AND get to/from the ferry terminal from the West Side piers (another $15.00 or so charge each way unless they are walking or trying to figure out the shuttle bus, which involves MORE co-ordination). And of course, the OP has not figured in the TIME it is going to take to do all this shuffling.

Could EASILY be an hour each way-that is 4 hours of traffic time. Just an example-Friday, sent our little truck to Jersey through the Lincoln. Don't know what the problem was but it took him 96 minutes to go from Little West 14th St to Exit X in Secaucus. He was PO'd to say the least-since I sent him that way (the traffic cams showed the tunnel was clear when I told him to go that way). He kept saying he wanted to go over the GW up Broadway. I was kissing butt all afternoon. And additionally, sent one of my big trucks from JFK to Deer Park Friday afternoon (3:20). Knew the LIE would be backed up, so sent him down Conduit to Sunrise to Deer Park. Took him almost 3 hours to drive 25 miles (he called me at 6PM as he was pulling in the driveway-just when they were closing. Thank goodness, they agreed to load him).

OP-you REALLY have no idea how crowded and congested the traffic can be with one little glitch. You also have NO idea whether they will allow long term parking (forget what the website says-they can change it at any time). I can't see how you are going to save much money-you forgot to add the intra NY taxi costs, the bridge tolls, the TIME and leaving your family standing on the sidewalk for possibly a couple of hours both ways. I personally think this is a totally wacky idea.

I have to agree here. Living 8 miles from NYC, it's taken us an hour to get through the tunnel at times. I think it would be well worth it to spend $120 extra to park.

Can you save money by parking somewhere else... Of course. Is it worth it? Not really.

I have lived in nyc for 8 years and have personally left from the nyc cruise port twice. Both times even I wish i would have sucked it up and parked at the terminal rather then leaving friends to move the car during alternate side of the street parking days.

There is something nice about knowing exactly where your car is and knowing that you don't have to go anywhere else to pick it up and the end of your vacation.

Yes it takes time to get in through the tunnel... it may only take a few minutes on the ferry but then you have to drive back.. I wouldnt want to add anymore stress to the end of a wonderful holiday

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did park at Weehawken, and it really couldn't have gone much smoother.

I dropped the group off at the terminal, drove across, took me all of 15 minutes. hopped right on the ferry, enjoyed a bit of a stroll around NYC a bit and got on the ship.

We had brought our bicycles on the cruise with us to ride in Bermuda, so on the way back, I just took the early disembark, with my bike. I rode all the way up to Broadway, Times Square, the Empire State Building. (I got off the boat with like the first 20 people, really early, like 8:30, and the rest of my group decided on the 9:50 disembark time so they could enjoy breakfast on the ship first, so I had plenty of time to enjoy my morning bike ride!)

Then I hopped the ferry, rode my bike around on the Jersey side until I got the call that they were in line to get off the boat, and drove over to get them. It was pretty much seamless.

I would totally do it that way again.

Archived