St. Thomas Marriott Frenchmans Reef

NaplesKnitter

Hi, Has anyone ever taken a taxi from Crown Bay and gone over to Marriott Frenchman's Reef Hotel. We were wondering how the beach was over there and if there were any wave runners ,snorkeling, restaurants and beach facilities etc. How expensive was the taxi? Any info would help. Thanks

I agree. the beach is quite a walk from the hotel and is nothing special. There are much better beaches elsewhere on the island.

There is a pretty good restaurant on the beach, but the open air restaurant just off the lobby is much better. Great burgers and calamari for lunch.

Lew

Your post brought back memories...my husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1983! It's not the most beautiful beach on St. Thomas. A steep walk down to the beach from the hotel. With so many other beaches to choose from, I'd recommend going somewhere else.

I have been to the Marriott twice. I'd like to clarify a few things:

Marriott has two sections: the Frenchman's Reef sits on the cliff where the hotel main building is located, and the Morningstar where the bungalows and beach are located. The beach is lovely, pretty calm with beautiful sands, but not the best for snorkeling. There are clean restroom and outdoor showers. The beachside restaurant Coco Joe serves very good food and decent drinks. In fact, we like that place over the restaurants in the main hotel building. It's a bit cheaper as well. If you plan on going to the beach, tell the cab driver to drop you off at the Morningstar which where the beach is. Not much walk is involved at all from the parking lot.

Now that I think about it, there is actually a third part of Marriott which is the Vacation Club. You can take the free shuttle from either Morningstar or Frenchman's Reef to the Vacation Club where snorkeling is pretty decent. Although I have never rented the waverunner, I seem to remember seeing it at the Morningstar beach.

Your post brought back memories...my husband and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1983! It's not the most beautiful beach on St. Thomas. A steep walk down to the beach from the hotel. With so many other beaches to choose from, I'd recommend going somewhere else.

Hey, so did we!! 1987. Twenty-three years and 3 kids ago.lol

ps. I actually love Morningstar Beach. We went back on a cruise a few years ago and it was very peaceful.

The jet skis are a tour only. The snorkeling isn't that great as is it a windward beach. There are plenty of restaurants at the Reef, from Coco Joes's right on Morningstar to a couple up at the main hotel. The new Franchman's Cove is a timeshare and has a small beach and restaurant. I suspect if you sit through the sales pitch you could use the facilities for the day.

I grew up around The Reef and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the poperty.

As Lisah168 mentioned there are two sections to the hotel. Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Beach Resort. If you are going to the beach you can ask the driver to drop you off at Mornigstar and avoid the walk down. If you perfer you can walk and there are two ways to do it. You can take the glass elevator down to the boardwalk and walk along the shore till you get to the beach. You can also take the elevator in the Seacliff Wing and then walk down the steps till they meetup with the boardwalk.

Coco Joe's is a nice restuarant down there to grab a bite during the day, or if you feel like going back up to the hotel there are several places to eat and enjoy the view.

You may find Morningstar Beach to be rough, as it is sometimes can be. You will also find that the beach is steep towards the waterline. This is due to being washed away many, many times throughout the years.

Lisah168 also mentioned the Vacation Club which is called Frenchman's Cove. While The Reef will always hold a special place in my heart, my wife and I are owners at The Cove and we really enjoy it. Most people do not realize that all the beaches in the USVI are plublic access. So, even though The Cove is a timeshare property you can use the beach, called Eveningstar. It is much smaller and quieter than Morningstar Beach. I have some comments on The Cove in another thread including pics of the beach. Here is the Link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1199221

Here is a video I found of the drive from Havensight to Monrigstar Beach posted on Youtube. To really enjoy this video open the screen to full view and enjoy the view at 1:40.

Scott

Archived