Anyone wonder why the balcony floors on RCCL are that squishy wet mat like stuff?

I was just looking thru photos and noticed that carnival's balconys have wood decking. I would so prefer that to the gross flooring on the RCCL balconys. Dont get me wrong I LOVE RCCL but that flooring just grosses me out. I cant go out there without shoes on. YUK! :eek:

~Connie

I was just looking thru photos and noticed that carnival's balconys have wood decking. I would so prefer that to the gross flooring on the RCCL balconys. Dont get me wrong I LOVE RCCL but that flooring just grosses me out. I cant go out there without shoes on. YUK! :eek:

~Connie

Id say $$$$$;)

It will vary by ship. . . Some CCL have teak decking, and some CCL also have the rubberized decking.

This is the same with RCI. . . Most of the new ships have rubberized decking on balconies, but most of the Vision Class RCI ships have the teak decking on balconies. . .

Radio

;);)

I would imagine safety, low maintenance to clean and resistant to salt water.

Or in one word $$$$;)

ETA, I wanted to say this earlier already. For fire safety reasons they can´t use simple wood on todays ships anymore. All wood being used has to be prepared to be not flamable.

~Connie

Balcony floors are pressure washed at the conclusion of each cruise, so what's the problem...

Balcony floors are pressure washed at the conclusion of each cruise, so what's the problem...

May I ask why you feel you can go on a teak floor and not on the other?

There's no problem :confused: .... Just personal preference. I'd rather not walk barefoot on a wet squishy mat. I also don't like to walk barefoot on grass.

Thanks to those of you who answered my question. $$$, safety, and weatherproof make sense.

Mine has never been wet unless it rained recently. And on a new ship, we were on Liberty in her first year. They are really nice, feel like you're walking on velvet. They do not last ;ong though before they start disintegrating from the UV sunlight. I think they should do cork flooring out there, sustainable, nice to walk on and would stay comparatively dry...and is pretty inexpensive these days.

Mine has never been wet unless it rained recently. And on a new ship, we were on Liberty in her first year. They are really nice, feel like you're walking on velvet. They do not last ;ong though before they start disintegrating from the UV sunlight. I think they should do cork flooring out there, sustainable, nice to walk on and would stay comparatively dry...and is pretty inexpensive these days.

Except that it would ultimately smell like cork, which would not be at all enjoyable on a hot day:eek:

~Connie

I see you have been on the Explorer 3 times. The horrible stuff they use on the balcony floor on the Explorer was also on the Adventure balcony.

I blame it on the fact that there are metal balconies and not the glass ones as on the other ships like Mariner and Navigator that can get sunshine.

My balcony on the Adventure next dried for our whole 14 night cruise. It was saturated the whole 2 weeks.

We had a Deck 8 center Hump so we should have gotten enough sun from somewhere to dry it? Nope. It had a large puddle in the middle of it the whole time.

Archived