Customizing Ramses tour need help

janina

Has anyone done the Nile river cruise or the light show at the pyramids? Are they interesting or kind of cheesy? Not sure if we should do either of these.

We went to the Sound and Light Show, and while it's a bit "cheesy" to use your word, we found it very interesting. We hadn't yet been to Giza in the daylight, and it was a good introduction to the history of the Pyramids and the Sphinx, which we found helpful the next day when we returned for our tour (and even though we had a guide). Plus.... you are seeing the Pyramids. And the Sphinx. At night. All lit up. In color. There's a wow factor for sure. (And what else would you be doing instead? Seriously, we are talking about wonders of the world...)

If you go, be aware that it can pretty chilly and windy there at night. So even if it was warm during the day, you'll want to have a jacket with you.

I know that Ramses is now offering an option where you can choose your guide and itenerary. We had a wonderful experience in Cairo and Alexandria with Osama and we HIGHLY recommend him.

This makes me think of a question. We're set to use Ramses for a tour in May for just the two of us. I'm wondering how the tour guides themselves are paid by Ramses, by person or by tour?

I would think that a tour for just two people would be less desirable for a tour guide than a tour with more people, from both a fee and a gratuity standpoint. If that's true, do the less experienced guides get "stuck" with the smaller groups, or am I totally off base?

Anybody have any insight from discussions with their guides or with Ramses?

Thanks for the input about the sound and light show. Being that we will be seeing everything in the day that afternoon I was not sure if it was worth it. I had read some reviews that made it sound like you are just sitting there watching a big film with some alternating lights on the pyramids. Was not sure how accurate these descriptions were.

I probably should not have used the word cheesy. Just trying to figure out if this is a good show or if there is something else to see or do that would be better.

Thanks for the input about the sound and light show. Being that we will be seeing everything in the day that afternoon I was not sure if it was worth it. I had read some reviews that made it sound like you are just sitting there watching a big film with some alternating lights on the pyramids. Was not sure how accurate these descriptions were.

I probably should not have used the word cheesy. Just trying to figure out if this is a good show or if there is something else to see or do that would be better.

There's no film. There is a narrator's voice recounting the history, while the Pyramids and the Sphinx are periodically lit up in different colors. Since you'll already have been to Giza during the day, you may not feel the need to do this. Since we didn't do a Nile dinner cruise, I can't compare the two, but I know that I wouldn't spend the evening in a hotel.

We saw the sound and Light show a couple of weeks ago. One of the folks we knew made the comment that they expected a Disney quality and it did not measure up to that standard. Omar Sharif is the narrator. The light is projected and follows the narration whcih gives a history of the pyramids and the Sphinx. There is an extra charge for using a video camera if you want to record it.

All that being said, it was a good show and if I saw it again I would try to sit closer to the front so as not to have so many distractions like stupid flashes from photos being tried (the distance to the objects being photographed is way out of flash range).

Help! Two different Ramses Tours. which one is real? We booked on www.ramsestours.com but there also seems to be a www.ramsestours.net. Which one is the Ramses Tour everyone likes? Help!

It is the ramsestours.com with Mr. George as contact person, for many of us.

You are not required to send a deposit or pay until your tour is over with this company.

I have booked a day tour to Cairo with Ramses for Feb. This will be our second time to Giza, so I want to do a more custom tour. We would like to spend more time at the Pyramids. Does anyone have any suggestions of what can be done there besides the quick look at the Pyramids and Sphinx? What is the Valley Temple?

Again with the Help of cruise critic we booked our own tour and having listened to the people that did the ships tours we had a great time. Ramses tours supplied us with a minibus, leather seats, driver Mr Mahmoud, and guide Karim. The driver was very smart and drove well, Karim was extremely knowledgeable and was very good at getting us through the crowds speedily and safely. It was a religious festival when we went so it was exceptionally busy at the pyramids and yes we have all the tacky pictures taken holding the pyramids etc. We also went in to the see the Sun Boat exhibition and that was superb, I won't say anything about it as that would spoil it for those who would like to see it. After that we took a camel ride, well I thought I had plenty of padding but after an hour on a camel I realise that I don't have enough. By the time we got off, 1 hour, we had got the hang of it but it was really great and so peaceful as we rode behind the pyramids with only 2 other camels and 4 horses. Then we went to see the sphinx and again the usual photos. After that we went in a 4 wheel drive trick through the dessert great driving about 50mph up and down the dunes. Then to another temple, lunch and back to Alexandria. Yes it was tiring but oh boy did we have a great time. I would certainly recommend ramses tours as everything from booking to actually taking the trip was very easy.

Having used Ramses before, and continuing to read all of the good reviews about Ramses, I am confident that they will provide a good tour. We were in Egypt last year and toured with Ramses, so for our upcoming tours with them in Feb, I want to do some customizing of our tour. I am becoming increasingly frustrated because in their email responses they seem to ignore specific requests. For example, in Alexandria, we want to tour the new library and go to the Catacombs. When I put this in my request, they respond with two separate tours; the first includes the library but not Catacombs and the second includes catacombs but not library. Last year my emails were with Mr. George. This time I have received all email correspondence with Mohy. Has anyone dealt with Mohy before? Has anyone else experienced these frustrations with trying to customize tours?

Having used Ramses before, and continuing to read all of the good reviews about Ramses, I am confident that they will provide a good tour. We were in Egypt last year and toured with Ramses, so for our upcoming tours with them in Feb, I want to do some customizing of our tour. I am becoming increasingly frustrated because in their email responses they seem to ignore specific requests. For example, in Alexandria, we want to tour the new library and go to the Catacombs. When I put this in my request, they respond with two separate tours; the first includes the library but not Catacombs and the second includes catacombs but not library. Last year my emails were with Mr. George. This time I have received all email correspondence with Mohy. Has anyone dealt with Mohy before? Has anyone else experienced these frustrations with trying to customize tours?

It sounds like a communication problem. Could you list your MUST SEES for Day 1 & Day 2 to make it easier for him to understand?

This is what I am going to do just prior to my tour date as the initial booking was very wordy.

Another thing, check your date with them. They had my communication with the right date and an email from them to me with the wrong date in the heading. The office worker in Alexandria contacted me when he noticed these two dates. I am glad they were on top of this.

Hope it works out for you.

dog:)

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Alexandria on Easter Sunday 2010. Our tour included the Catacombs and the library. Unfortunately, the library was closed because of the holiday, no fault of Ramses. BUT, we did get to take a lot of pictures outside of the library. I do have 1 tip for the Catacombs...get there EARLY!!!! Get with your guide and others in the group. Plan to leave as soon as you wake up. It is sooooo worth it. Our guide gave us this tip and we were so glad he did. We were the 1st to arrive and the only ones there until the end. It can get really crowded inside. They are so worth seeing. One of the highlights in Alexandria!!!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

We were in Alexandria on Easter Sunday 2010. Our tour included the Catacombs and the library. Unfortunately, the library was closed because of the holiday, no fault of Ramses. BUT, we did get to take a lot of pictures outside of the library. I do have 1 tip for the Catacombs...get there EARLY!!!! Get with your guide and others in the group. Plan to leave as soon as you wake up. It is sooooo worth it. Our guide gave us this tip and we were so glad he did. We were the 1st to arrive and the only ones there until the end. It can get really crowded inside. They are so worth seeing. One of the highlights in Alexandria!!!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Thanks for the tips. I definitely will ask about going to the Catacombs first. We were there a little over a year ago, and it was crowded. We went in the afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what I have read on cruise critic, I have been communicating with Mohy and have been getting excellent responses. I need to ask a few questions---

No matter how many people are in our tour, we caravan with a lot of others to Cairo from the ship?

Using Ramses, we travel 3 hours in that caravan? are there stops along the way?

Once we get to Giza, should I assume the entire caravan is still together?

Can we make changes on the spot with Ramses? Approximately what time do we head back to Alexandria the next day? I noticed some people decided to go to the pyramids the second morning, is that do-able and still giving us plenty of time in Alexandria?

Is there anything else I should know regarding working with Ramses? Did you all tip a certain percentage, what currency, Euro?

now i have to go check on Ephesus/Kusadasi!

Based on what I have read on cruise critic, I have been communicating with Mohy and have been getting excellent responses. I need to ask a few questions---

No matter how many people are in our tour, we caravan with a lot of others to Cairo from the ship?

Using Ramses, we travel 3 hours in that caravan? are there stops along the way?

Once we get to Giza, should I assume the entire caravan is still together?

Can we make changes on the spot with Ramses? Approximately what time do we head back to Alexandria the next day? I noticed some people decided to go to the pyramids the second morning, is that do-able and still giving us plenty of time in Alexandria?

Is there anything else I should know regarding working with Ramses? Did you all tip a certain percentage, what currency, Euro?

now i have to go check on Ephesus/Kusadasi!

I just returned from using Ramses in Egypt and cannot recommend them enough and Mohy is excellent. Ask if you can have Gouda (like the cheese) for your guide who has been with them a long time and is superb. THere were 7 of us and he met us at the ship with our name on a sign. We did not caravan with other vans because we had our own group. There is a bathroom stop on the way to Cairo. I really reccomend doing the jeep and camel ride as part of your tour. SO much fun. They will make changes, but there is a lot to cram into 2 days and his job is to have you see all that you want. He will get you back to your ship on time the second day. You need to tell Mohy all that you want to see and do and they will arrange it all. Gouda was fantastic and is so knowledgeable.

THe same way you get excellent service here in the U.S. and tip is what I did. He really deserved 20%. We paid in cash at the end in U.S. Gouda will make sure you have a really great time and make it a memorable visit. Have a great time.

Lizquiz;)

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I sailed on the MSC Magnifica on Jan 15th,2011. Which was probably the last ship to go there with all the riots going on now.

We bookied Ramses Tours before we left home and was so glad we did.

They are the greatest. Our tour guide was helpful, informative and stayed right with us all day no matter where we went. He took us to all the great sites and even though our time was short we did go everywhere they said we would. The driver was also excellent. One thing when you book the tour, and tell them what you want to see, make sure you have enough time to do it all in order to get back to the ship on time. It takes at least 3 hours to drive to Cario and back, so that does not leave you much time there. Plan ahead and you will have the best tour you ever had. We had our own Van for just my husband and I. Was very comfortable and we did have a stop on the way ....Thanks again Ramses you are great.

Hi Marie-Claude, we are trying to decide where to stay for our overnight. Would it in your opinion be better to stay by the pyramids at the Oberoi Mena House or stay in Cairo? I know the pyramids is scenic and would be lovely, but as far as night time activities and convience, what is your opinion? Anyone else's input would also be greatly appreciated.:)

Hi Janina, everyone has to decide for themselves what they want to do in the one evening they have in Cairo on a two-day excursion,and it's tough to fit everything in. There are so many choices.

Most people, it seems, choose to go to the Sound and Light Show or a Nile Dinner cruise. I suggest you research the posts on this site and the various videos on YouTube to see what others have said and done about those two choices. I did exactly that and it actually made me change my mind about what choice to make. (Now, I haven't actually done it yet, so take this with a grain of salt. My wife and I will get there - hopefully - in June)

I've read from many posts and seen from many videos, that the Sound & Light show is a tad dramatic/superficial (many say: cheesy) and that the Nile Dinner cruise is just a cruise-on-a-river-in-a-city with not-so-great food. (Yes, I understand it's THE NILE, but you're not exactly in the desert, are you?).

So, we decided that instead of choosing either of those 2 options, we will get to the Oberoi Mena House at the end of the afternoon, check into our Pyramid view room in the Palace section, and spend the whole rest of the evening enjoying the Mena House's very attractive amenities. We booked into the Palace section because once again, from what I've read in these posts, the Palace section is apparently the best part (read: more authentic character) of the Mena House to stay in, with spectacular and unrestricted views of the Pyramids; better than the views in the newer section.

But also, we have reserved a table for two in their Indian restaurant, the Moghul Room, where we expect to have a great meal and enjoy some authentic entertainment. And if we get to our room in time, we can even catch the light show on the Pyramids from our very own balcony.

I know we will be rushing around furiously from site to site for two days so I'm hoping that this plan will give us a chance at some very good quality 'down' time and an exciting evening, nonetheless. In fact, I think am looking forward to my stay at the Mena House almost as much as I am looking forward to seeing the sights.

Hope this helps.

That sounds exactly like my plan...to stay at Mena House and relax...hope we actually get to stop in Cairo..we are booked on Celebrity to stop in Alexandria/Cairo in late August and we have decided to leave our reservation as is with the cruise itself.(not booking with Ramses yet) ..hoping that if we don't make it to Cairo, they will substitute maybe a stop in Turkey...Celebrity has not made any decisions yet because their first cruise to Egypt doesn't go there until August 10...Royal Caribbean has cancelled Alexandria as a stop for all of their cruises through June.

That sounds exactly like my plan...to stay at Mena House and relax...hope we actually get to stop in Cairo..we are booked on Celebrity to stop in Alexandria/Cairo in late August and we have decided to leave our reservation as is with the cruise itself.(not booking with Ramses yet) ..hoping that if we don't make it to Cairo, they will substitute maybe a stop in Turkey...Celebrity has not made any decisions yet because their first cruise to Egypt doesn't go there until August 10...Royal Caribbean has cancelled Alexandria as a stop for all of their cruises through June.

I just found out this minute that RCCL has cancelled its visits to Egypt up to the end of June. Soooooooooooo disappointed. Istanbul is the replacement port.:(

I'm going to have to make some decisions, including maybe postponing it until later this year.

Istanbul will make you happy as well; we were lucky enough to have both ports last cruise, and would definitely like to come back there.

By the way, if you do get into Alexandria, Ramses tours overnight: really great! Or tourguide was Eman, a young lady (low 30's who looks about 14) with 2 PhD's in history and egyptology, very very good and informative. She kept adapting our schedule to traffic patterns as well, changing planning on the fly, so we saw much more than would otherwise have been possible.

I just found out this minute that RCCL has cancelled its visits to Egypt up to the end of June. Soooooooooooo disappointed. Istanbul is the replacement port.:(

I'm going to have to make some decisions, including maybe postponing it until later this year.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that most lines are keeping their options open.

""As we're not scheduled to call in this region until May, at this time, we haven't canceled any calls," said Princess spokeswoman Karen Candy. "Any decision we make will be based on the security and safety of our passengers and the advice of our security team, as well as various officials and government entities," she added, echoing a common statement from the lines."