Viking Moscow Tour

cadreamer

not sure if still doing it....look on website,,,it should say see armory museum,,,,or try calling again and speak to supervisor ,not just phone operator....if not, you can go on own when they drop you off at Red Square...gave us a few hrs. Also, we took a taxi back,not bus, to stay in area longer...but,,,do get the docking directions in Russian for taxi driver.About one half hr.drive from city to dock....you ll love the trip...one of our favorite....small cities are great too...do get guidebook for more info...envy you....:)

We asked Viking to send us the day by day itinerary LONG before our upcoming 6/10 trip so that we could analyze just what was included and what we needed to do a private tour for.

I did not see any indication of going to the Armory Museum so we have arranged to go there as part of our private tour on one of Viking's "at leisure" days.

Can you advise specifically where you were told you'd have a guided tour of the Armory? I just reviewed the day by day itinerary from Viking and although I see a Kremlin Tour on Day 4, I don't see anything about the Armory???

I also see an OPTIONAL TOUR on Day 3 to the Military Museum, but I didn't think that was the same as the Armory???

Thanks for the additional info. Sorry if I'm being a PITA.

know on ours it was inc. when we took Kremlin tour...very close in Red Square area....it was only 1 hr tops, so you may want to call Viking and see ....if you re really into that stuff ,as my husband is, it may not be long enough for you and will appreciate taking your own private tour...its been a few yrs.and they sometimes change tours...maybe even names of things in Russia,maybe now more politcally correct than Armory,eh? Regardless, great cruise.....we loved the smaller towns too,very scenic,quaint,etc....hope they still have the vodka tasting class onboard,,,quite well attended,hahaha...also, had great lectures by a female PH,d in history that were very informative.It was one of my favorite cruises,,you ll have a great time....:)

Yeah, I don't see it in the itinerary either. I agree you should call Viking again and ask what's specifically included in the Kremlin tour. We toured the armoury and one church, plus the grounds. The Armoury has some arms and weapons, but also has fabulous silver, clothing items, and the royal carriages. It's not all military. So if they mention including those types of displays on the Kremlin tour, they should be able to follow up and confirm that it's the Amoury for you.

We had great time on this cruise - even on an older boat!

We were with Viking last July, and the armory was definitely part of the Kremlin tour. It is my understanding that it is always part of the Kremlin tour if it is open.

If you are interested in military items, plan to go on the optional tour to the military museum, which should be offered on the second full day that you are in Moscow.

Hi ! let me disclose that I work for Viking, and then, let me answer the question. Over the last few years, getting tour groups into the armory has become increasingly difficult. It has gotten to a point where we felt if became impossible to provide people with a good experience as part of a group visit to the Kremlin, which is why, with heavy hearts, we decided to not bring our groups there any longer. You will find, however, that there is plenty of free time in Moscow and while we offer things to do, we can also assist you in making your own plans, should you want to visit the armory on a private tour. The ship's staff is happy to help. We hope you'll have a wonderful cruise !

Rivercruiseresource - Thank you so much for your informative reply. This is just the information I needed. I appreciate your responding. I will make private plans to visit the Armory and maybe the Diamond Fund.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ! let me disclose that I work for Viking, and then, let me answer the question. Over the last few years, getting tour groups into the armory has become increasingly difficult. It has gotten to a point where we felt if became impossible to provide people with a good experience as part of a group visit to the Kremlin, which is why, with heavy hearts, we decided to not bring our groups there any longer. You will find, however, that there is plenty of free time in Moscow and while we offer things to do, we can also assist you in making your own plans, should you want to visit the armory on a private tour. The ship's staff is happy to help. We hope you'll have a wonderful cruise !

I have just returned from a St. Petersburg-Moscow cruise on the Viking Kirov and the above advice is not accurate, at least in my experience.

The number of visitors to the Armoury are limited, so it is is not part of the included tour of the Kremlin. However, it IS available as an optional tour added on to the regular Kremlin tour.

On our cruise, 100 places were available (and all were taken) at a cost of 32 units (ie Euros) per person. Thus of the six buses that went to the Kremlin, four included the Armoury and two did not.

The Armoury tour took about an hour or so (1hr30 is the max allowed) and I thought that this was adequate--although the collection is so stunning that one could study these exhibits for much longer. The tour did not include the Diamond Fund exhibit, but I didn't really miss it given the splendours of the rest of the exhibits.

After the Armoury tour, we continued the rest of the Kremlin tour, which included the interior of the Uspensky Cathedral. The non-Armoury tours also visited the interior of another cathedral (not sure if it was the Archangel or the Assumption).

All in all, it was a most interesting and enjoyable tour.

• 2 months later...

Search words Viking Kirov + Armory + Kremlin + war museum

I just returned from Moscow Sunday Aug 22, 2010.

When it comes to reading reports, check the dates first.

I went to the Armed Forces Museum which is totally different than the Armory. The AFM has the wreckage of the U-2 Gary Powers flew. They have many glass case exhibits of small arms, a small tank or two, WW2 Lend Lease documentation. Information about their atomic bomb and all things war related.

Evidently there was lots more that was not on exhibit.

In the back yard they have rocket launchers, several MIG airplanes, a few helicopters, a few bigger missiles and an armored train. It was raining and damp and I did a quick tour taking pictures of the planes and then following up with a picture of the exhibit description so I could “connect the dots later,”

The Armory is inside the Kremlin. It is totally different. You will find all kinds diamond encrusted swords, daggers, medals, Faberge eggs. Purportedly the diamonds on the swords “were to blind the enemy” and gain an advantage. Then there is clothing, jewelry and all things not war related like multi-ton horse drawn carriages. Yes, one was one that was 5000 pounds that took several horses to pull it. Make an attempt to touch an exhibit and an alarm goes off letting everyone know what you did.

Be prepared to go through a thorough airport security screening type of entrance. If you look carefully, there are cameras in the ceiling everywhere and motion sensors too. Remember, this is the home of the former KGB and you never know who is watching you. So, keep you hands in your pockets.

The Military Museum was 39 units or Euros

The Armory tour was 32 Euros.

Scudrunner

Archived