Getting to The Mall, Florence

MrsMadz902

Hey everyone!

Tried doing a quick search but came back w/nothing :(

Wondering if anyone's ever gone to The Mall in Florence (Gucci, Burberry, Dior outlets?)

I was told to take the SITA bus their but I can't seem to find where the pickup stop is in Florence...Anyone know how to get to SITA Bus Station, Via S. Caterina da Siena 17 , Florence?

Will be traveling w/3 adults and an infant...has anyone travelled on a SITA bus with an infant before?

btw, we're taking the NCL Jade 7 day (Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples & Palma) cruise this Sat! :)

There are some old threads on this but the question hasn't been asked in a while.

Before trying to give any directions, you do realize that trying to get to the outlets is going to be difficult if you only have a port day in Florence? You have to get from Livorno to Florence (about 90 mins) then get from Florence to the outlets (another 30-45 minutes, plus time allowed for waiting on the bus) plus reverse it all on the way back.

I assume you've been to Florence before? (If not, I cannot imagine going to the outlets instead of enjoying one of the many other options available -- not just Florence but Lucca, San Gimignano, Pisa, etc.)

Also, one final caveat: of all the reports I've read about the outlets, I believe only a couple of people felt it was worthwhile. You will find few bargains compared to American-style outlet shopping. Occasionally you may stumble onto a deal but merchandise is mostly from previous year(s) and it is not cheap.

Having said all of that, if you still are determined to go, just respond and I will fish out the info I had on it a couple of years ago.

Wow you are quick!

I've read a couple threads (ok, maybe a couple hundred) on this forum and you have such amazing tips/advice! Thank you!!

We're hoping this may be a nice 'break' for us. A couple of us have already been to Florence and since we are traveling with an infant...this is our attempt at taking things slow. I have a dozen things lined up for the other ports and I know many of you will probably argue that Florence is probably the last place I should skimp...we've taken a vote and the decision has been made...I will; however, pass your comments to the convoy :)

In the meantime, I'd loooove to hear your tips on getting there :)

I has all that outlet info bookmarked,but must have erased it....if you know what you are looking for I would go to the outlat,but it will not be the relaxing day off,and going with an infant not so much unless you hire a private driver to take you all and wait and that would throw out any savings.If you hit an off day it really would not be worth it,but I have learned to not tell anyone what to do or not to do just give a yay ot nay.I am sure Cynthis has same info I do,and if I findmine I will sned it as well.Have fun no matter what.

VirtualTourist has some info on it:

From one post, "Directions: To get there, take the Sita bus (blue) with the sign "The Mall" or "Leccio" at the bus depot near the train station and buses leave from Monday to Saturdays at certain hours. Preferably, you should leave in the morning or on the first bus out.

And from another, "Getting there: Save some money and hassle by taking the SITA bus. The station is one block from the S.M.N. Train Station in Florence. It's 3.50 euro one way. The bus takes you directly to the outlet mall. No need to worry about trains and taxi cabs. And save some money on fare. The ride is about 45 minutes."

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Tuscany/Florence-151105/Shopping-Florence-Gucci_Outlet-BR-1.html

One person mentioned a 1 hour ride, and another said 45 minutes. As Cynthia mentions, it's going to be a lot of time spent getting there and back... I would plan on at least 3 hours each way between Livorno-Mall via Florence. With an 8 a.m. arrival in Livorno, you could probably be at the mall by noon ... shop for couple of hours and be on your way back by 2:30.

I know this sounds like a lot of lee-way time going back, but with the distance you are doing, and via 2 means of transportation, I wouldn't want to cut it too much closer, with a 7 p.m. departure time.

Please let us know when you get back how it was if you do go.

There is no way this is going to be a laid back day at the outlet with a baby. You will be on the road, buses, transfers, etc. for a total of at least six hours of your port time. A baby on a bus or train for six hours cannot be rewarding even if you get a fabulous deal at the outlet. From what I have heard there are no outlet deals in Italy like there are in the US. If you are determined, get a driver at the port and forget about public transportation. Good luck!

But the more I read about it...I'm getting weary of the idea...

I don't blame you ... it sounds like such an effort to get there and back, it would probably kill any joy of shopping.

Good luck with alternate plans.:)

From what I have heard there are no outlet deals in Italy like there are in the US.

There is no comparison between outlet malls in the US and those anywhere in Europe. "Outlets" in Europe will offer a very small discount or none at all. They really do not deserve that name. Italy is wonderful for shopping, you don't have to go to some outlet. Italy IS fashion and beautiful shoes and clothes.

Think you're right Susan-M!

We gotta figure out what else to do instead now...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

So I see you don't need my info ;); everyone has covered it anyway.....

I think you're making the right choice.

We've decidied to stay in Florence *hurray!*

My hubby was under the impression that Italy was the only place in the world they have Gucci outlets so made it a 'must see' for me...when i told him there's one down the road in NJ, we agreed to skip The Mall :)

I'm gonna satisfy my shopping needs at Prenatal in Florence! Who needs a gucci bag when there's tons of cute baby items to scope out!?

Archived