Please educate me on this...

jaxncat

I have searched but did not find the answer to my question, which is...when you make a purchase in a port (going to Cozumel & Progreso) and you use US dollars to make the purchase, if you do not have exact change, are they going to give change back in THEIR currency or US currency? I don't use "credit" cards and only have my Visa debit card. Is it safe to use this card? Any advice/information/suggestions will be welcomed...we sail in 3 days.

Incidentally, I ordered last Friday from Bon Voyage - no problemo. That was a week prior to sailing. I guess I got in right under the wire!!!!

The small vendors in Progreso (in town) may not have the change in American money...but the stores at the port should not be a problem.

Cozumel has never been a problem at the major stores/restaurants as well.

I do make sure I take small demoninations to make it as little change as possible.

If you are securing your Sail and Sign card with the Debit card....remember that you can get extra cash for ports through the slot machine without any ATM fee....

I shopped in both Cozumel and Progreso in March. I recieved change in US dollars. I did make sure to have change...1s, 5s and 10s in case I needed them or so I didn't have to pull out large bills while I was shopping.

I wouldn't use a debit or credit card in Mexico. You are responsible for knowing the currency conversion and sometimes, it does not come up as you expected. Plus you can do better bargaining with cash.

Be sure to ask for change in US dollars, or some stores will try to give you pesos. Also check your change. I had one store owner slip a 50 centavos piece in on me while making change in Cozumel. It wasn't enough to complain about, and I kept it as a souvenier.

in grand cayman they had change in u.s but i took change in their money i cant remember what it was but it is real nice looking i gave it to the kids as gifts they loved it and even took it to school as show and tell

In Cozumel, they gave us bills back in US currency but many times they would tell us they don't have "change" (as in coins) in US currency and would give us the mexican currency. It wasn't that big of a deal.

To O.P. Seems like most vendors these days do indeed give change in U.S. However I make sure to squirrel away lots of $5 and $ 1, before a cruise, for near exact change purchases and tips for on the ship and tour guides etc.

On my cruise last week a lady (passenger) saw I had some small bills and kept asking me to make change. I could not because I had only really brought what I needed on that excursion. I like to tip the guides and buss drivers, but on this one we seemed to have mutliple guides and drivers and even I ran out.

Tom in Long Beach

Be sure to check with your banking facility to see how the hold will affect you account if you are using a debit card. On our 1st cruise we used our debit card and there was a hold for the amount of our charges, plus the amount of the charges cleared our acct the day after our cruise. The hold was in place for 5 business days. Having funds held during this time was not a good thing.:eek:

Either use cash or a CC for your S&S card. Enjoy!:)

I take a envelope of small bills for this very reason. Jamaica they gave me change in Jamaican money, uck... Iv also got one peso for every dollar they owed me at a drug store in cozumel ... and they have rounded up in many ports and dont give change, just dollars back at best.

....several also will not take change, only dollar bills that rounded up to give my change back. .. but it was times I shrugged it off, was making a long distance phone call, buying muscle rub and only drug store within walking distance I could find, etc... sometimes you need something and have to pay whatever they ask if you want it.

You just cant sweat the small stuff if you need it.

PS I would NOT use a credit card, too many reports of fraud and stolen credit card numbers. Why take the chance unless you are making some large purchase like a expensive ring.

The only time I use a credit/debit card while in port is at a nationally known chain store such as McDonalds. Otherwise, I think it's too risky to use them and use cash instead...so far we've never had a problem with getting change in US dollars.

I wouldn't use a debit card while in port, unless it was tied to a checking account that was specifically set up for travel, and only that account. In the off chance that your debit card information is stolen, you wouldn't want them to have access to the regular account that you use to pay your bills, get your direct deposit into, etc.

On the other hand, if it is a brick and mortar, established business (not a set-up today, gone tomorrow business-on-wheels cart type of establishment), we have used our credit cards on just about every trip we have been on. You just have more consumer protections when you pay via credit card. It is much easier to get your stolen money back from a credit card company than filing a Regulation E claim with your bank on your debit card.

Another option, if you prefer plastic, is to buy a pre-paid Visa card. It isn't tied to anything.

Last October when in Cozumel. I went to pay for a T shirt which was 16.00US. I gave them a 20.00 and then the vendor and his cashier were going on and on about it, arguing amongst themselves. I understand enough Spanish to have understood that the cashier didnt want to give out too many 1.00 bills so early in the day. I then said why dont you sell it for 15.00 and give me back a 5.00 bill. The vendor said no, as 16.00 was the amount we agreed on. So I said ok, Im sorry, so I made to leave the store without said T Shirt. The vendor came out of the store pretty fast after me with the T Shirt and a 5.00 bill. I didnt begrudge him the dollar, but I leave my 1.00 bills on board in my safe, and the 20.00 was the smallest bill I had. :) I know that people who work cash, like to have lots of small bills and hate to give them all up, especially early in your shift! I know Ive been there.:D

Unless I missed someone else mentioning this already, the one thing I'll add is to call your bank before you leave and tell them where you will be travelling so they won't freeze your card due to suspicious activity!

Last October when in Cozumel. I went to pay for a T shirt which was 16.00US. I gave them a 20.00 and then the vendor and his cashier were going on and on about it, arguing amongst themselves. I understand enough Spanish to have understood that the cashier didnt want to give out too many 1.00 bills so early in the day. I then said why dont you sell it for 15.00 and give me back a 5.00 bill. The vendor said no, as 16.00 was the amount we agreed on. So I said ok, Im sorry, so I made to leave the store without said T Shirt. The vendor came out of the store pretty fast after me with the T Shirt and a 5.00 bill. I didnt begrudge him the dollar, but I leave my 1.00 bills on board in my safe, and the 20.00 was the smallest bill I had. :) I know that people who work cash, like to have lots of small bills and hate to give them all up, especially early in your shift! I know Ive been there.:D

thats why I bring a envelope full of $1s ... to avoid things like this. I have a few fives, but the rest is full of $1s. np.

Archived